HD8 ISO Recordings are all low quality

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sbraun

HD8 ISO Recordings are all low quality

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 8:01 am

Has anyone tested or noticed that their ISO program file and ISO recordings are all very low resolution?
Even when I select the Hyperdeck high setting without streaming, all recordings do not go above 6-7mb.

I've tried on both the internal and external storage with no luck. I've changed the settings back and forth and power cycled.

Any thoughts? Will give BMD support a call tomorrow.

Xtreemtec

Re: HD8 ISO Recordings are all low quality

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 9:14 am

That is the same with all ISO atems. The ISO's are low quality. The PGM is higher quality
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Trevor Asquerthian

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 2:29 pm

"SDI inputs recorded as separate H.264 .mp4 files at up to 70Mb/s quality at the ATEM video standard with AAC audio."

Been a while since I used the Atem Mini for ISO recordings - but close ups were acceptable. Wide shots fell apart a bit even at the highest quality settings. Not really broadcast quality though.

sbraun

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 6:53 pm

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:"SDI inputs recorded as separate H.264 .mp4 files at up to 70Mb/s quality at the ATEM video standard with AAC audio."

Been a while since I used the Atem Mini for ISO recordings - but close ups were acceptable. Wide shots fell apart a bit even at the highest quality settings. Not really broadcast quality though.

Right, but I'm not even getting above 7mb/s in both program and ISO recordings at the hyperdeck high setting with no streaming.

My extreme ISO performs as it should.

ManchesterV

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 9:16 pm

MB or Mb?

70 Megabits per second is for 1080 60P.
That's just under 9 MegaBytes per second.

30p and 24p will reduce the data rate further.

throwfirewoodatblackmagic

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 2:47 pm

This setting is a little odd, but your ISO quality is determined by your streaming quality setting, even if you are not streaming.
Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio HD8 ISO | ATEM Pocket Cinemas | FujiFilm XT2s | FCPX | LPX | MIDAS M32R Live | Apple Silicon

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 10:39 pm

Hello all. Since there is understandable confusion around bit rates, I would like to offer some information on how the ATEM ISO recordings are made.

First, the Program recording (ISO on or off), is H.264 variable bit rate with the max set by the streaming quality. So, if the streaming quality is set to Streaming High, the max bit rate will be around 9 Mb/s if the fps is above 30. It will be max at 6 Mb/s if the fps is 30 or below. Each quality menu setting will have two bit rates. As this is variable bit rate by design, complex images will have higher bit rates than simple images like graphics on a background. When you see a low bit rate it is because the image content doesn't require any more for the same level of quality.

Second, all ISO recordings are set fixed at Hyperdeck High. These too are variable. The max will be around 70 Mb/s for complex video. Much lower for simple images. For example, the unused inputs will still have a file but since they are black, the bit rate will be very low making very small files.

Last, if the input video is derived from low bit rate content, the ISO files will generally be similar or lower being additionally compressed. For example, if you are streaming a camera directly to the ATEM HD8 ISO, the stream quality of the camera will be recorded in the ISO for that source. It would not be higher. Or even if you are playing H.264 video from a Hyperdeck into the ATEM ISO, the recoding will likely be lower than the original bit rate of the recording since the video is less complex due to additional compression.

I hope this helps explain the scenarios some users experience. Since NAB is coming up soon, I hope many users will stop by and say hello.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

sbraun

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 3:14 am

Gary Adams wrote:Hello all. Since there is understandable confusion around bit rates, I would like to offer some information on how the ATEM ISO recordings are made.

First, the Program recording (ISO on or off), is H.264 variable bit rate with the max set by the streaming quality. So, if the streaming quality is set to Streaming High, the max bit rate will be around 9 Mb/s if the fps is above 30. It will be max at 6 Mb/s if the fps is 30 or below. Each quality menu setting will have two bit rates. As this is variable bit rate by design, complex images will have higher bit rates than simple images like graphics on a background. When you see a low bit rate it is because the image content doesn't require any more for the same level of quality.

Second, all ISO recordings are set fixed at Hyperdeck High. These too are variable. The max will be around 70 Mb/s for complex video. Much lower for simple images. For example, the unused inputs will still have a file but since they are black, the bit rate will be very low making very small files.

Last, if the input video is derived from low bit rate content, the ISO files will generally be similar or lower being additionally compressed. For example, if you are streaming a camera directly to the ATEM HD8 ISO, the stream quality of the camera will be recorded in the ISO for that source. It would not be higher. Or even if you are playing H.264 video from a Hyperdeck into the ATEM ISO, the recoding will likely be lower than the original bit rate of the recording since the video is less complex due to additional compression.

I hope this helps explain the scenarios some users experience. Since NAB is coming up soon, I hope many users will stop by and say hello.

Regards, Gary

Thank you Gary. That explains it perfectly! My playback from the hyperdeck were compressed files even though I re-encoded to prores.. Much appreciate the response and I look forward to seeing what BMD has to offer at NAB.
Best

Return to Live Production