Broadcast lens control on URSA Broadcast G2

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

chris_k

Broadcast lens control on URSA Broadcast G2

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 9:48 am

Looking at purchasing a Canon 2/3" UHD XS 25x Standard 7.6-190mm Full-Servo lens (CJ25EX7.6B IASE S) to use with my Broadcast G2, but I have a question about controlling the lens with BM zoom/focus controls. Can the zoom and focus be controlled via the 20 pin connector when using BM USB-C zoom/focus controls?
According to BM's website, supported B4 lenses with full servo control for focus, iris and zoom include:
Canon B4 lens models with HJ, KJ..ex and CJ prefixes and the letters ASE or ASD in the suffix.

It seems to all line up to me, but feedback from the forum would be appreciated to make sure the buy is worth it or not. Thank you in advance.

LouisBacker

Re: Broadcast lens control on URSA Broadcast G2

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 5:57 pm

I have this exact lens currently mounted on a G2 in front of me and yes, I can confirm that the Blackmagic Zoom and Focus demands work with this lens via their looped USB-C's attached to the camera and the lens's multi-pin Hirose cable plugged into the G2 body.

It's a superb lens to use with the G2. One thing I do notice though is that the BM zoom demand exhibits a mildly noticeable start (as in really mild), though you can zoom in nice and slow once it's started. I presume it's down to the digital stepping resolution.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

chris_k

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 10:39 am

LouisBacker wrote:I have this exact lens currently mounted on a G2 in front of me and yes, I can confirm that the Blackmagic Zoom and Focus demands work with this lens via their looped USB-C's attached to the camera and the lens's multi-pin Hirose cable plugged into the G2 body.

It's a superb lens to use with the G2. One thing I do notice though is that the BM zoom demand exhibits a mildly noticeable start (as in really mild), though you can zoom in nice and slow once it's started. I presume it's down to the digital stepping resolution.

I appreciate the detailed feedback. It’s reassuring to know someone has real world experience with this exact equipment.
Can you elaborate on “mildly noticeable start”? Does it start slowly? Your assistance with this feedback is greatly appreciated.

LouisBacker

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 4:15 pm

With propietary zoom demands from say Canon or Fujinon, there is no noticeable start to the zoom (or at least not on the ones I have), whereas with the BM version, there is the smallest of steps, say 0-1 out of 0-100. I'm probably making it sound more of a thing than it actually is.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

stephenmontgomery

PostThu May 11, 2023 12:09 pm

chris_k wrote:According to BM's website, supported B4 lenses with full servo control for focus, iris and zoom include:
Canon B4 lens models with HJ, KJ..ex and CJ prefixes and the letters ASE or ASD in the suffix.

Where is this info on the BM website?

chris_k

PostThu May 11, 2023 12:23 pm

stephenmontgomery wrote:
chris_k wrote:According to BM's website, supported B4 lenses with full servo control for focus, iris and zoom include:

Where is this info on the BM website?

The information is listed on page 10 of the URSA Broadcast G2 manual, not the BM website. My apologies. Below is what is listed in that section.

B4 Lenses with iris and zoom control include:
‚ Fujinon B4 lens models with HA, ZA, XA, UA and LA prefixes in their model name
and RM in their suffix. For example, Fujinon XA20sxBRM.
‚ Canon B4 lens models with HJ, KJ and CJ prefixes and RSE or RSD in their suffix.
For example Canon KJ20x8.2B IRSD.
B4 Lenses with full servo control for focus, iris and zoom include:
‚ Fujinon B4 lens models with HA, ZA and UA prefixes in their name and the letters
RD or ZD in the suffix. For example, Fujinon HA22x7.8 BERD.
‚ Fujinon box lenses with XA and UA prefix in their name.
‚ Canon B4 lens models with HJ, KJ..ex and CJ prefixes in their name and the letters
ASE or ASD in the suffix. For example, Canon HJ24ex7.5B IASE.
‚ Canon box lenses with XJ and UJ prefix in their name.

mortondj

PostWed May 17, 2023 7:49 pm

[/quote]
B4 Lenses with iris and zoom control include:
‚ Fujinon B4 lens models with HA, ZA, XA, UA and LA prefixes in their model name
and RM in their suffix. For example, Fujinon XA20sxBRM.
‚ Canon B4 lens models with HJ, KJ and CJ prefixes and RSE or RSD in their suffix.
For example Canon KJ20x8.2B IRSD.
B4 Lenses with full servo control for focus, iris and zoom include:
‚ Fujinon B4 lens models with HA, ZA and UA prefixes in their name and the letters
RD or ZD in the suffix. For example, Fujinon HA22x7.8 BERD.
‚ Fujinon box lenses with XA and UA prefix in their name.
‚ Canon B4 lens models with HJ, KJ..ex and CJ prefixes in their name and the letters
ASE or ASD in the suffix. For example, Canon HJ24ex7.5B IASE.
‚ Canon box lenses with XJ and UJ prefix in their name.[/quote]

Here's a two-parter for the group - we have four new URSA Broadcast G2 cameras that we ordered with Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 lenses. Going by the info above, I think the lenses are compatible. But, the the first one I've built has no iris control available from the fibre studioback unit nor from the Camera Control unit. Also, the camera firmware will not update to 8.1 (the reply when I try is that 7.9.2 is the most-current). Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Darren

Sander Vreuls

PostThu May 18, 2023 1:01 pm

mortondj wrote:Here's a two-parter for the group - we have four new URSA Broadcast G2 cameras that we ordered with Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 lenses. Going by the info above, I think the lenses are compatible. But, the the first one I've built has no iris control available from the fibre studioback unit nor from the Camera Control unit. Also, the camera firmware will not update to 8.1 (the reply when I try is that 7.9.2 is the most-current). Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Darren

The lens should be on "A" (automatic) on top, instead of "M" (manual), that would be my first guess.

mortondj

PostThu May 18, 2023 1:31 pm

[/quote]

The lens should be on "A" (automatic) on top, instead of "M" (manual), that would be my first guess.[/quote]

Nope, tried that already and no luck.
-D

LouisBacker

PostThu May 18, 2023 7:16 pm

mortondj wrote:Here's a two-parter for the group - we have four new URSA Broadcast G2 cameras that we ordered with Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 lenses. Going by the info above, I think the lenses are compatible. But, the the first one I've built has no iris control available from the fibre studioback unit nor from the Camera Control unit.

Thanks,
-Darren

The Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 lens does not have a focus servo and whilst quality-wise we found it OK for the URSA Broadcast G1, it doesn't get the best out of the G2. We bought one, tried it on the G1 & G2, sent it back.

We opted for the Fujinon LA16x8BRM 4K lenses for about the same price and that includes a focus servo. All 3 servos work perfectly with the Blackmagic zoom & focus demands and you can tap focus using the UB's flip-out LCD screen. If we need to go beyond the 16x zoom, we crop the G2's sensor to 2.6k, it's still a very decent image. We have the BM CCU Panel and all three servos work fine when running two way SDI or a 12G fibre link (using the Blackmagic Optical Fibre 12G Mini Converters)

mortondj

PostFri May 19, 2023 2:05 pm

[/quote]

The Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 lens does not have a focus servo and whilst quality-wise we found it OK for the URSA Broadcast G1, it doesn't get the best out of the G2. We bought one, tried it on the G1 & G2, sent it back.

We opted for the Fujinon LA16x8BRM 4K lenses for about the same price and that includes a focus servo. All 3 servos work perfectly with the Blackmagic zoom & focus demands and you can tap focus using the UB's flip-out LCD screen. If we need to go beyond the 16x zoom, we crop the G2's sensor to 2.6k, it's still a very decent image. We have the BM CCU Panel and all three servos work fine when running two way SDI or a 12G fibre link (using the Blackmagic Optical Fibre 12G Mini Converters)[/quote]

Our are going into the production truck for field use and have the Fibre converter backs to enable remote shading. So, we don't need the focus servo, but we do need the 20x and extender on this lens. AND, we need the remote iris control to work...which it still isn't. BMD support sent back a terse note with a couple things to try to see if its the camera, lens, or fibreback that's at fault; I ran through those notes and replied...and am still waiting to hear back. It always takes two emails to get a reply from their support folks for some reason.

bassjunky

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 10:01 pm

LouisBacker wrote:
mortondj wrote:Here's a two-parter for the group - we have four new URSA Broadcast G2 cameras that we ordered with Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 lenses. Going by the info above, I think the lenses are compatible. But, the the first one I've built has no iris control available from the fibre studioback unit nor from the Camera Control unit.

Thanks,
-Darren

We opted for the Fujinon LA16x8BRM 4K lenses for about the same price and that includes a focus servo. All 3 servos work perfectly with the Blackmagic zoom & focus demands and you can tap focus using the UB's flip-out LCD screen. If we need to go beyond the 16x zoom, we crop the G2's sensor to 2.6k, it's still a very decent image. We have the BM CCU Panel and all three servos work fine when running two way SDI or a 12G fibre link (using the Blackmagic Optical Fibre 12G Mini Converters)

Ok, this makes sense to me now. I have the Fujinon XA20sx8.5BRM-K3 HD Pro Lens (I think the same lens, but mine doesn't have the "E" in it?) which does't have a focus servo, hence no tap-to-focus, correct?

But also, if I put on the EF lens adapter and use some of my Canon 5D EOS lenses, that do have a focus servo, tap-to-focus would then work, correct?

Sorry to resurrect an old post, just got the G2 and am figuring it all out. Thanks!

Return to Live Production