Full Setup-Connection Guidance

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ghost13

Full Setup-Connection Guidance

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 2:12 pm

Hi, Folks,

I really could use some help as I have dived head first into Blackmagic Designs world / Ecosystem with minimal experience and knowledge.

I'm a retired Veteran with PTSD who has decided to do VLOGs, Game Streams, etc., and have the following Blackmagic Design equipment:

- 2 x BMPCC4K (One for Face View, the other for an Angled View.)
- ATEM Mini Extreme ISO
- HyperDeck Studio HD Plus
- HyperDeck Shuttle HD (Currently used for Teleprompter feature.)
- Ultimatte 12 HD Mini
- Video Assist 7" 12G HDR (Currently used for MultiView.)
- 2 x Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 12G (Connected to ATEM from HyperDeck Studio Plus for graphics, lower thirds, etc. (HDMI:Key 7/Fill 8))

I plan on filming in 1080HD (eventually up to 4K), but could really use some very knowledgeable help
by providing a comprehensive setup (device connection, order and reasoning), as well as recommending configuration settings for each device. I know some of the gear is a bit much... But I did say I dove in head first.

I do realize this is a pretty big ask, but I would be ever so grateful. These days it takes a good breakdown of things for me to start to pick up on it. Especially in something new like this. I have watch some channels on YouTube, but would like help with my specific gear and setup.

I thank you all so very much in advance, and am truly grateful for any and all assistance you can provide. Please take care and stay safe.

Cheers,
Nickolas
"Go Hard... Be Humble..."

Jonathan Evans

Re: Full Setup-Connection Guidance

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 am

As no one else has chimed in as yet, may I suggest a couple of ideas? One, start simple (switcher and one camera) and get to know each piece of kit by adding it one at a time to the set up. Two, do a search of the forum for each piece of kit individually as all of the items you mention have been covered at some stage and may/will give you some tips as to their setup and use.
Maybe post any questions you have on an individual item will illicit a better reply.
Good luck.

Ghost13

Re: Full Setup-Connection Guidance

PostMon Mar 20, 2023 11:47 am

Jonathan and LouisBacker,

Thank you very much for the feedback. Admittedly, when I set my mind on something, I usually go big (which has gotten me in trouble with the wife on more than one occasion). I believe I have everything connected and hooked up in good order (at least as far as I can tell; each piece of gear is functioning and usable within the arrangement).

I have experimented with just the switcher and cameras a bit, figuring a few things out (with the help of YouTube), and have started feeling a bit comfortable with some of the core features / operations. Then i added the HyperDeck Studio HD Plus and can cut to videos, etc. I'm working on learning how to make and add lower thirds, graphics, etc. to the video feeds.

The HyperDeck Shuttle HD is pretty easy at the moment for how it's being used, and the same goes for the Video Assist (I know, a wee bit overkill but I plan on doing some videos outdoors). The Ultimatte 12 is the latest piece of equipment I've added to the setup.

The Ultimatte 12 is the piece of gear that is definitely a bit more of a challenge right now. In theory it sounds pretty simple, but in reality, it's a bit overwhelming at the moment. I'm sure it will be a bit easier once I put up the green screen, but only time will tell.

Again, thank you both for your feedback. Please take care and stay safe .

Cheers,
Nickolas
"Go Hard... Be Humble..."

Return to Live Production