Atem Extreme ISO, Artefacts on Recording and Stream

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

birk123

Atem Extreme ISO, Artefacts on Recording and Stream

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 3:37 pm

Hello,

When I record all iso tracks with the Atem Extreme ISO and do a a streaming or a program mix recording at the same time, I always have image artefacts appearing on the left side in the program mix recording/streaming.

Unfortunately I cannot post a video URL here. However, you can find a sample video on Youtube by searching for "atem extreme iso artefacts". It's the one with the blurred thumbnail.

The artefacts occurs especially at 1080p50 and 1080p60. At 25fps I very rarely have artefacts in the recording/streaming. If I only record the program mix without the ISO recordings, the problem does not occur. I have tried all sorts of things but nothing helps. Even the Atem was replaced 2 times by my dealer. That didn't help either. I wonder if anyone else here on the forum has this problem and may have a solution?

The answer from Blackmagic support was:

"Thank you for that information, this is a rare behavior that we have encountered before, and has already been reported to the Development team for assessment. We have requested a further update on this matter, but cannot give a timescale as to when there might be a solution."

Since I have had 3 mixers now and this has occurred on all of them, I am wondering if this is really such a rare behavior or just a bug that occurs on every mixer.

I would be happy to hear any feedback.

OllyTracey

Re: Atem Extreme ISO, Artefacts on Recording and Stream

PostTue Aug 08, 2023 8:12 pm

Hi,

I would be interested to learn if you ever solved this problem? I have recently found my ATEM SDI Extreme ISO has been doing the same thing since I purchased it in December 2022. I have reached out to BMD direct with the video included as a screenshot below and am awaiting response.

In contrast to your issues, these artefacts don't appear on the streaming output and equally on any displays connected to the output of the ATEM SDI Extreme, so only noticed it when viewing the recordings post recording.

I recorded in high quality to an SanDisk Extreme SSD 2TB formatted in ExFat.

Happy to take discussion offline if you prefer,
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 14.22.17.png
Side by side images of programme recording (left) and iso record of live input (right).
Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 14.22.17.png (558.98 KiB) Viewed 361 times

birk123

Re: Atem Extreme ISO, Artefacts on Recording and Stream

PostWed Aug 30, 2023 12:28 pm

Hi,

i never solved this problem. It cost me too much time, so I live now with a workaround for my application that looks like this: If I only need the program mix recording, I do not record any ISO tracks. Then the file is without artefacts. If I need the ISO recordings for the edit, I record them (the individual tracks of the ISO recordings are always without artefacts) and then make my edit and delete the recorded programme mix track with the artefacts. In my case, it's ok for me. It's not pretty, but 3 Atems I had in a row all had the artefact bug. So I have lost hope of getting a Atem without this bug and never became any update from the blackmagic support, when they will come with a solution.

Return to Live Production