Timecode, Timecode, Timecode - ATEM Constellation HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

_nikrox

Timecode, Timecode, Timecode - ATEM Constellation HD

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 7:47 am

Hello!!

My name is Nik and i'm new to the forum

I've been doing Live Production now for around 20 years, and thoroughly enjoy the pressure and pieces to a live event. I'm also constantly impressed at how many features Blackmagic can fit for the price and form factor!

That being said, how could Blackmagic leave out timecode input on the new Constellation HD switchers??

Even with some of their other products like the video assist, there's the option for timecode through the xlr audio port

Could we possibly add the timecode input via the analog audio input? and maybe loop it on the output?

Setting it to time of day timecode seems to be a challenge as well. I read somewhere that it only works when connected to a PC but I haven't actually tested that yet

Would be great to also have the ability to turn on a timecode overlay on the multi-view outputs, as well as safe margins. Currently the only option im seeing is audio meters

Finally, could we PLEASE pass the embedded SDI timecode or the auto-generated timecode (free run/time of day) from switcher to the multi-view outputs as well! This would be super helpful for the producers logging notes and other operators and engineers. Currently it's only passing on the switcher outputs.
Ive done a temporary work-around of taking the multi-view out, into one of the inputs and then sending it through a switcher out to embed the timecode. This works, however, robs me of precious outputs.
Is it just me, or are there ALWAYS the need for more outputs than inputs? Would be super neat to be able to specify if a BNC connector was an input or an output, and you could customize any which way depending on event or install

thanks in advance for considering these feature requests and hopefully some of these will make into a future firmware update!

_n.

Xtreemtec

Re: Timecode, Timecode, Timecode - ATEM Constellation HD

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 2:20 pm

We are asking for this since 3 years since the Constellation 8K came out and robbed us from the TC in that we so heavily use on the 4ME Broadcast.

Had several shows i had to pull the Constellation 8K out and put the old 4ME back into the truck as we REALLY needed to sync to External timecode!!!

It's absolutely ridiculous that this already implemented function has been removed from the newer switchers.. And i get it that they have no space left on the Constellation 8K / 4ME HD.. But at least offer the users to repurpose the analog input jacks as TC in.. Since we use MADI for clean digital audio in.. And since the Analog inputs sound not that good at all.. Lacking a lot of lower frequency response anyway..

So embedding from digital source or embedding with SDI is always a good option to get Audio into the Atem..

It completely sucks that the Atem is TC master.. As our 8K slips about 1,5 seconds in 12 hours.
We have a Professional TC generator in the OBV. Locked to GPS and Atomic clock. And to set the 8K to match it takes a few tries before we have them both in sync. But then after a few hours the Atem is already slipping. We never had this issue with the 4ME Broadcast as it was always connected to the TC gen..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ben Harper

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 8:54 pm

I agree with daniel!

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 10:07 pm

I was changed ATEM Broadcast 4ME for Constelation 8K .. I was set 1080p50 resolution .. Hyperdecks not shows any timecode .. Teranexs show this :

http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 2:33 pm

Roman Pytkin Pekarek wrote:I was changed ATEM Broadcast 4ME for Constelation 8K .. I was set 1080p50 resolution .. Hyperdecks not shows any timecode .. Teranexs show this :

We have the Same issues with Teranex units going crazy on the timecode from the Constellations.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Videobegin

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 8:03 pm

Hello folks,
Xtreemtec wrote:We have a Professional TC generator in the OBV. Locked to GPS and Atomic clock.

Internal manufacturing or commercial unit ?
thanks

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 8:50 am

Commercial unit. Does TC and Genlock. DK Technolgie PT5300 with several options inserted.

Videobegin

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 7:39 pm

I had thought to a nanosyncs HD but discontinued now...

Weston Woodbury

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 8:09 pm

+1 for "wow wtf" (maybe they realized this mistake on the new TV Studio all in ones? WILD it's not in every higher end model of Atem, such an oversight)

+1 for analog input option which many customers never use or would sacrifice stereo on

+1 for TC and/or TOD overlay on MV outputs (i.e. carbonite base level model feature--basic necessity)

Daniel is right on the money on every point.

I've de-embedded the timecode out of the SDI several times for shows (to cameras etc) but Atem clock is a terrible master that drifts/slips.

I've also sent these requests to BMD directly without much hope. Just 'logged as a request' to the team with some standard customer support boiler text.

I also requested another idea that they could address the entire Atem line if they developed a network dongle, not unlike the already existing BMD tally box solution and that new BMD "microphone" audio expansion throw down they just released. Make an little timecode throw down that interfaces over network to any Atem (could be a $300 Mini or a $10000 Constellation) and adds proper timecode input and output support.

:mrgreen: W

jallen0

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 8:21 pm

What if you threw a Hyperdeck Studio in the pathway and ran timecode through that? Look at page 15-16 in the Hyperdeck Studio manual. Also on page 28:

Timecode
All HyperDecks also have their own time of day timecode generator. In a similar fashion
to reference, you can loop the timecode signal from a master HyperDeck to other HyperDecks or video equipment so that each recording shares the same timecode.

I am interpreting this as the Hyperdeck being a "master" timecode driver.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

TPRemi

PostThu Jun 29, 2023 7:43 am

The list of missing features that dissapear from a model to the other in the Blackmagic Product lineup is absolutely ridiculous. I hope one day Blackmagic will have a semblent of concurrence so that they can be held accountable when making bad products or stupid design decisions
Rémi Lavallette from Time Prod
remi@timeprod.tv

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 03, 2023 7:53 am

jallen0 wrote:What if you threw a Hyperdeck Studio in the pathway and ran timecode through that? Look at page 15-16 in the Hyperdeck Studio manual. Also on page 28:

I am interpreting this as the Hyperdeck being a "master" timecode driver.

Yeah problem is only that you want TC on all your Auxes to be the same ;) We have about 8 ISO recorders, Have TC running back to cameras with internal recording. Have clocks and stuff running on TC..

Would be nice to have all in sync instead of slipping all the time.. :roll: It's just a Clusterf*ck that BMD removed the TC from the bigger Atem lines.. And is bringing it back in the smaller units now..

But the big productions rely on accurate TC.. This + the fact that embedding 8 channels of audio into PGM feed still is not possible.. ( Forcing me to buy a AJA FS4 $7500 ) Makes me wonder to trow out the atems all together and buy a Ross switcher as these are basic standard functions for any 4K Ross switcher. Needing 19+ K in hardware now to switch 4K and have 8 channels of audio embedded.. ( Which they can do on the newer smaller switchers!! But looks like they have no intentions to implement on the bigger Atems while we are asking for this since the Const 8K hit the market)
That Ross Switcher is coming closer by the day.. :geek:

BMD really needs to step up there game, and start listing closer to pro user input!!

jallen0

PostMon Jul 03, 2023 11:00 am

Could you just use a Tentacle Sync on each Hyperdeck to feed a synced timecode to them? Would that keep everything together without slipping?
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
Desktop Video 12.1

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 03, 2023 11:36 am

So because 1 Atem has no TC in.. I need to put 10 tentacles into my setup to get the rest in sync.. :? :cry: Sorry but that is not a Solution..

jallen0

PostMon Jul 03, 2023 11:38 am

I am waiting to see some reviews on the new ATEM Television Studio 4K8 one hit ships. It has timecode in and out on that so I am hopeful.
Desktop Video 12.1

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 03, 2023 12:02 pm

Yeah the original 2ME and 4ME also had it.. Great and worked beautiful.
But from what i found online the TC inputs on those new units dont work at the moment. Waiting for a FW update. :roll:

Weston Woodbury

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 8:10 pm

Running the newer HD8 on some things literally just because of timecode. Need to add a non BMD camera.. need to sync external sound.. need to sync with other things, brands of recorders, need to tie into house/truck timecode at venues.. etc etc. Can confirm HD8 timecode input is working fine. It just takes t/c functions over when a t/c signal is plugged in, similar to what their Cameras do.

It's aaaalllmmost like they could do the same thing with say, those uselessly noisy 3.5mm inputs on the Mini models. :? :? or any other audio input on all the other switchers they forgot to add timecode to. Or, make us an little external device that just networks with any BMD switcher....

8 inputs and limited i/o of course isn't sufficient for most shows. Just lil baby ones.

Again, what a massive oversight and mistake to kill timecode i/o on almost all their bigger models including Constellation. Big L O L. I agree with X on Ross, the Carbonite isn't wildly more expensive for a professional setup--and adds most the basic things that are sorely missing with Atems. Trade off is the much cleaner usability and a kinda neat BMD ecosystem of things talking together very easily.

:ugeek: - W

Return to Live Production