ATEM Min Pro - 1080p 59.94 to 29.97 fps

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

clarkerz

ATEM Min Pro - 1080p 59.94 to 29.97 fps

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 5:24 pm

Hi,

I posted last week and within a few minutes someone had "fixed" my issue by suggesting I needed Fibre Optic HDMI cables - which I have now purchased and my flickering pictures have now disappeared. :D
So I thought I'd ask another newbie question.
I'm going to be doing a live stream at my local flying club soon and have been testing my setup over the past few weeks. I have a Sony ZV-E10, Sony FDR-AX53 and a Panasonic HC-VX1. The Atem Mini Pro is detecting all three as 59.94 frame rate. I am pretty sure it's accurate as if I change one of them to 50fps, it detects that correctly. I would rather use 50fps but YouTube doesn't support that natively and as I am going to be doing a fair amount of panning, I don't like the jittering transcoding they do from 50 to 60fps.
I have had some good results with outputting 1080p at 29.94fps at 8MB/s and whilst the panning is better at 60fps with 12Mb/s, I am thinking that the 8Mb/s will be better for my mobile router I'll be using. I do have the advantage of working at a UK mobile network so have checked all the serving cells and sectors and can make sure my router antenna is facing the cellID with the strongest signal. The mobile test will be the last test I need to do now.

I just want to check that if my source frame rates are all 59.94fps that I should be outputting the stream at 29.97fps and not 30fps. I keep doing tests with both output and am getting a bit obsessed and I keep thinking that I can now see better panning 29.97fps then I test again and 30fps looks better. 720p60fps would be a no brainer but I’ve tried using OBS with the ATEM connected to the usbc on my laptop and I don’t like the look of the picture so I’ll stick with 1080p. I do prefer the ATEM doing all the work in any case. :)

Thanks in advance! :)

Clarkerz

Return to Live Production