ATEM Constellation HD AUX Audio Feature Request

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Glendora

ATEM Constellation HD AUX Audio Feature Request

PostMon May 08, 2023 6:37 am

One particular feature of interest was the number of auxiliary outputs available across the ATEM Constellation range which could route the HD-SDI Input Sources to the Auxiliary HD-SDI outputs. All good for monitoring input audio sources as well as Preview and Program outputs using one or more Blackmagic Audio Monitor 12G's. Further, also using those Auxiliary outputs to ISO Record the camera feeds with their associated embedded audio channels (1-16) to HyperDecks or Decklink enabled computers.

After reviewing the User Manual and also viewing several YouTube demonstrations, a warning was given to all viewers that the Auxiliary Outputs only contain Stereo Program sound, no matter which source was selected.

In other words, the HD-SDI Input Source has all embedded audio channels (1-16) striped from the signal and replaced with embedded Stereo Program sound at the Auxiliary Outputs. The signal path though allows embedded audio channels 1-2 to be presented to the ATEM/Fairlight inbuilt audio mixer.

The question remains, what purpose is served by not having the option to route HD-SDI input source embedded audio to 6-12-24 auxiliary output destinations?

A solution in the short term could be to provide a setup menu option to either select Stereo Program sound (default) or use the Input Source Audio Channels (1-16) from each of the ATEM Constellation HD-SDI Inputs for the Auxiliary Outputs of various models.

If you wish this request to go forward, please post a Plus One (+1), or add your comments.

An example Setup menu (ATEM 2 M/E Constellation HD, 20 HD-SDI Inputs) is illustrated below:

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: ATEM Constellation HD AUX Audio Feature Request

PostMon May 08, 2023 10:44 pm

+1000 :)

It was discussed here .. But BMD have not feedback on it ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Andreas Jaeger

PostTue May 16, 2023 7:39 am

+1000

BTW: Nice Photoshop work.
Wish, that BM hear it and update it.
ATEM Constellation HD 2ME with Third Party Controller, 2x Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus, 1x Hyperdeck Studio HD Mini, RGBLink Mini, AV MATRIX HVS 0402U, 1x Canon XA55, 1x Canon XA25, Sony ZV-E10, 2x Domecam BOLIN with Controller

SimonLatus

PostThu May 25, 2023 2:18 pm

+1000 from me too!
We really need this feature, as everything else the Constellation does fits our requirements. We have a 1 M/E version and used it to test viability for a new project, but the lack of being able to route the audio embedded on a source input to the aux outputs has stopped us from purchasing the 4 M/E version.

Arnaud Damian

PostFri May 26, 2023 6:13 am

I'm also 100% for this feature.

But is this even really possible from a hardware/technical point of view ? Does a firmware update can really add this long awaited feature ? Or is this impossible from the start (due to hardware limitation) ?
Don't get me wrong, this feature would be awsome but was just wondering...

Xtreemtec

PostFri May 26, 2023 9:02 am

I think hardware limitation is not in play here.. It's more IF they want to spend time and money to develop this feature. Because BMD always show that new features only come in new hardware. To sell you again a new Atem ;)

But then again YES i really really hope they finally step up there game to do this.. Because Ross switchers have internal audio busses, Can route audio from every source to every aux. Even have 12 separate audio mix buses where you can make different mixes..

Lets not ask too many extreme things. But at least some audio routing and being able to route and address audio tracks 3-14 for the PGM bus would be very very welcome. 8-)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Arnaud Damian

PostTue May 30, 2023 6:45 am

Thanks Daniel for your answer. Really appreciate all of your very insightful contributions.

Somehow, I was expecting a hardware limitation to prove me wrong from my usual cynical marketing point of view. Well... ;)

jonmalmstrom

PostThu Oct 19, 2023 6:08 pm

10000 thumbs up!
Agree, this feature, being able to rouser the source audio in the AUX out is a dealbreaker for us to be able to use the switchers audio features. In some of our use cases-in eg sport events with multiple apparatuses like gymnastics, we are streaming or recording ISO´s in parallell to the main production stream. Just having the program audio to all outputs forces us to grab audio externally (or de-embed) and make a separate audio mix in x32 rack -> Dante - sub streaming computer(s) running multiple instances of OBS.
Of course producing all audio externally makes more sense in a large production, but in a smaller fly kit, it would be a great feature. The constellations are really lacking in the audio capabilities compared to all video Swiss army knife features.

Opening up a simple routing like "use source audio" instead of program audio on all sources would really be a high value but in the same time a minor software/fw update effort.

//Jon in Sweden

Return to Live Production