Supersource aspect change?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dzhoglev

Supersource aspect change?

PostWed May 17, 2023 5:28 pm

Hello all,

Need some professional help for not so professional guys

We have Atem 4 m/e broadcast studio in our church and wanted to use the Supersource and place two boxes with the same video signal over another video signal.
All that is sent to a huge LED wall with an aspect of 10:3

The background is a song background and is an abstract video so the distortion in the aspect from 16:9 to 10:3 is not visible. But when a familiar object like face is thrown at the LED wall then it stretches it more than normal.

So wanted to put two boxes top left and right fed with close camera shot of the camera following the pastor preaching. But from the settings familiar to me I can only move the boxes or crop them. So I am hoping that I can change the aspect of the video signal going into the boxes. This way I can squeeze the picture before sending it to the LED wall and then it should come up as normal.

Someone might ask why we haven’t done the LED wall in a standard aspect ratio? This how it’s fits the stage. But as well I don’t know if maybe there is a solution for this as well. Hardware or software I don’t know. Currently we are using ProPresenter 7 to send the song background to it which is set to 4K 16:9 but as I mentioned the LED processor stretches it to 10:3 to fill all the LED squares.

If someone suggest a solution for this would be grateful! Hardware or software, don’t know

Thanks folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blair Christensen

Re: Supersource aspect change?

PostThu May 18, 2023 9:43 am

It would probably be better for the LED processor to crop the image, rather than stretch. That will give you much more flexibility, and prevent the possibility of stretched content accidentally being displayed on the wall

Howard Roll

PostThu May 18, 2023 1:37 pm

Blair Christensen wrote:It would probably be better for the LED processor to crop the image, rather than stretch. That will give you much more flexibility, and prevent the possibility of stretched content accidentally being displayed on the wall

Definitely.

There are a couple ways to do it, here's how I would set it up. ME1 is the composite and ME2 is clean. If you need a two up super source then cut the MEs into the Supersource for more flexibility.

Good Luck

ss.jpg
ss.jpg (135.39 KiB) Viewed 3564 times

dzhoglev

PostThu May 18, 2023 9:48 pm

Thank for the great ideas. I will play with the settings….

adamtow

PostFri May 19, 2023 4:33 pm

You can also use the USK DVEs which can adjust the height and width of the DVE boxes independently. SuperSource, as you know, can only adjust the size and crop values. If you want animation, you could use the Flying Key or use an app like my MixEffect.
Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

dzhoglev

PostSun May 21, 2023 8:28 am

Howard Roll wrote:
Blair Christensen wrote:It would probably be better for the LED processor to crop the image, rather than stretch. That will give you much more flexibility, and prevent the possibility of stretched content accidentally being displayed on the wall

Definitely.

There are a couple ways to do it, here's how I would set it up. ME1 is the composite and ME2 is clean. If you need a two up super source then cut the MEs into the Supersource for more flexibility.

Good Luck

ss.jpg
I have tried the crop option with the LED wall processor. It works for the two PiPs in the SuperSource. As the aspect then isn’t changed. And the whole picture is just cropped at the bottom (top only visible on the LED screen)

But now if I have another issue.

The background in the SuperSource comes from ProPresenter worship and presentation software.

If I run just song backgrounds it is acceptable as the song motion is abstract and doesn’t feels wrong on the screen. I can adjust the font of the text to preference so it looks good.
However when I need to show a presentation from the same source (iMac) the content is cropped now and not all visible.

Maybe if I get two video sources run from that (iMac) or just two computers? And then use one as background only and overlap the other source (with the presentation) over the first one in a PiP box.

I don’t quite know how to do more complex overlays and layering. But I think I need to find this out. Maybe there is other ways.

dzhoglev

PostSun May 21, 2023 8:29 am

adamtow wrote:You can also use the USK DVEs which can adjust the height and width of the DVE boxes independently. SuperSource, as you know, can only adjust the size and crop values. If you want animation, you could use the Flying Key or use an app like my MixEffect.
Hi that sounds promising. Do you mean that with USK I can change the aspect ratio of a video signal overlayed on the top of the background source?

Blair Christensen

PostWed May 31, 2023 9:47 am

dzhoglev wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:

Definitely.

Good Luck

ss.jpg
I have tried the crop option with the LED wall processor. It works for the two PiPs in the SuperSource. As the aspect then isn’t changed. And the whole picture is just cropped at the bottom (top only visible on the LED screen)

But now if I have another issue.

The background in the SuperSource comes from ProPresenter worship and presentation software.

If I run just song backgrounds it is acceptable as the song motion is abstract and doesn’t feels wrong on the screen. I can adjust the font of the text to preference so it looks good.
However when I need to show a presentation from the same source (iMac) the content is cropped now and not all visible.

Maybe if I get two video sources run from that (iMac) or just two computers? And then use one as background only and overlap the other source (with the presentation) over the first one in a PiP box.

I don’t quite know how to do more complex overlays and layering. But I think I need to find this out. Maybe there is other ways.

Well you could either create your presentation to fit your 10:3 screen, or if it needs to be 16:9 (eg. if it's being sent to rec or stream too) you can PIP or Supersouce it (perhaps using ATEM media pool as background?)

Actually, if you are dead-set on stretching the presentation to fill the screen, you could even use PIP to achieve that.

Alternatively, I'm no ProPresenter expert, but I believe it may support multiple outputs? Perhaps you could investigate running one feed formatted to fit your 10:3 screen and another formatted for 16:9?

Blair Christensen

PostWed May 31, 2023 9:47 am

dzhoglev wrote:
adamtow wrote:You can also use the USK DVEs which can adjust the height and width of the DVE boxes independently. SuperSource, as you know, can only adjust the size and crop values. If you want animation, you could use the Flying Key or use an app like my MixEffect.
Hi that sounds promising. Do you mean that with USK I can change the aspect ratio of a video signal overlayed on the top of the background source?

Yes, however you will be limited to one PIP box

Return to Live Production