Fiber Optic

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

DonPiper

Fiber Optic

PostTue May 23, 2023 2:30 pm

I need to fiber optic several Blackmagic Ursa Broadcast cameras via long distance hookup. I have fiber and copper pulled to each of the locations. Is it possible to push power to the camera via the copper? If so, what are the required specs?

LouisBacker

Re: Fiber Optic

PostThu May 25, 2023 3:49 pm

You've not indicated how long a distance you're looking at. You've also got to power the reciprocal fibre unit at the Ursa Broadcast camera end and possibly a Studio Viewfinder, so running DC down "copper" doesn't sound a way forward, particularly if different DC voltages are required and there's factoring DC roll-off over long distances. You are best provide local AC power to the camera. If it's a permenant rig, install it, if it's a temporary event, run it all off a large 12vDC battery/pure sine AC inverter pack, or combo.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Fiber Optic

PostThu May 25, 2023 5:50 pm

Hello Don. This is a good question and have experienced talking with a few customers that have tried. Even sending higher DC voltage down the line may not sustain the startup current required (due to line loss). While some may have had success, I wouldn't recommend powering the camera that way. It would be best to power it locally using the supplied supply.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production