UltraStudio causing kernel panics

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tharden

UltraStudio causing kernel panics

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 4:29 pm

I recently installed a new UltraStudio HD Mini in my workflow (with an Apple TB3 cable) and am being plagued by kernel panics.

Here is my setup:
iMac Pro
10-Core Intel Xeon W, 3GHz
64GB RAM
Radeon Pro Vega 64 w/ 16GB
OS: I've tried Catalina, Big Sur and Ventura, all with the same negative results

I am using Renewed Vision's PVP software (v3.5) to send key/fill out of the UltraStudio and into my ATEM. This actually works very well, however after some time the iMac begins to crash (it hangs for a minute or two, then reboots with the kernel panic screen). Once that starts happening, it typically crashes every 5min. After a few days I try again (after changing PVP and macOS versions) and it works fine for a few hours, then it starts consistently crashing again.

If I remove the UltraStudio, then the crashes stop, which leads me to believe this is a BMD problem.

I've tried both Desktop Video 12.4 and 12.4.2.

Like I said, when it's not crashing my computer, the key/fill I'm getting into my ATEM works wonderful.

Any suggestions from anyone running a similar setup? Or, if anyone is able to decipher Apple crash logs, I can provide that as well.

thanks
tim

tharden

Re: UltraStudio causing kernel panics

PostThu Jun 29, 2023 8:37 pm

Minor update...
Previously I had been using PVP as the software to feed the UltraStudio from my iMac.
I've now also tried using Resolume Arena. Just like PVP, Resolume is giving me a very nice key/fill out to my ATEM. However, I am still getting kernel panic crashes. As soon as I unplug the UltraStudio, the crashes stop.
This tells me that the problem is definitely with the UltraStudio and not the video SW I am using.
I just can't figure out if I have a HW problem with my iMac, or with my BMD box. BMD tech support has asked that I test on a different Mac, which is easier said than done (considering the high specs/cost of my current Mac).

Is anybody else using the UltraStudio HD Mini on a Mac with luck?

Return to Live Production