Stopping ATEM Timecode

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

DevaSkator

Stopping ATEM Timecode

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 7:22 pm

I have recently invested in a wonderful Deity Timecode set for my entire studio. I record to SSDs and also have a Zoom for the Audio, but I also like the way that I can hook them all to the ATEM to see that multi-camera output for reference. I don't want to ATEM to override my timecode/fps settings, but it seems to do that as part of its design. I know that so far we don't seem to have a way to disable ATEM timecode, but I'm wondering if there might be another way to stop the timecode signal from getting pushed back to the camera? I was considering using an optical HDMI (since they are primarily unidirectional and might not carry timecode data back to the camera), but I also wondered if perhaps placing a cheap HDMI splitter or junction of some sort might also stop the return timecode from making it's way back to the camera. I want the cameras and audio recorder to recognize the Deity timecode ONLY, and block the ATEM from complicating matters. I do realize that stopping 2-way communication might also inhibit the tally light functions, but sacrifices must be made.

*Bonus unrelated question: When injecting timecode as an audio track on the Zoom H6, and then using Tentacle Sync to convert it to Timecode Metadata to drop into Resolve, it ALWAYS seems to come up as 60fps, regardless of the Timecode being set to 24/29.97, and it seems Resolve doesn't let me correct it. I know it might be an issue with the TentacleSync conversion, but I figured I'd ask in case it's an obvious setting I'm overlooking. It seems to keep me from being able to sync that audio using timecode. Buying a timecode-enabled recorder is an expense I don't want to take on in the immediate future, and I know people have gotten this method to work.

Weston Woodbury

Re: Stopping ATEM Timecode

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 8:15 pm

I have the same request / similar issues.

Was wondering if putting a timecode devices directly into camera would override the Atem, but this answers it... unfortunate.

Should be an option selectable in camera...

And more off, there should be a reassignable audio input to use as timecode in the Atem (or an external timecode device for Atem to add proper timecode).

:cry:

Return to Live Production