Is this live recording setup sensible?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Bobafetti

Is this live recording setup sensible?

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 6:53 pm

Hello!

I am musician who is building video recording setup for my audio recording sessions. I am planning to record the audio and video in one take with three Blackmagic Micro 4k G2 cameras for different angles.
I would like to have the video files in log and blackmagicRAW.
I will edit the video in Davinci Resolve after recording.

I am new to videography and -tech. I have read alot but still find my self lost. So the question is how would I do this wisely. Is the only option to record to usb-drive on each camera and use Atem Mini Pro Iso only for monitoring. Because if I understood correctly I cant plug three HDMI cables to Atem Mini Pro Iso and record BMRaw to one usb-drive?

David Hutchinson

Re: Is this live recording setup sensible?

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 2:07 pm

If you are wanting an easy life - just use the ATEM ISO files, if you want to do it properly, use the camera recordings, but don't underestimate the extra work this involves.

If you are new to all this there is nothing wrong with just using the ISO files, when you find you're feet - or you feel you need better quality then start using the camera files.

Howard Roll

Re: Is this live recording setup sensible?

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 10:16 pm

You don't need the Iso model at all unless you plan on cutting cameras live. Really you don't need the switcher either, but as you say it may be nice to have the multi view and a 1 click record button is a bonus. The Mini Pro, a few SSDs and off to the races.

Good Luck

Return to Live Production