All about: Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 (BMMSC 4K)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Michael Kropfberger

All about: Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 (BMMSC 4K)

PostThu Oct 12, 2023 4:23 pm

Hi everyone,
I'd like to have a thread on various topics on the new Micro G2, where we could discuss options and clarify open questions...

what I found out so far in the forum (and I will constantly update this list):

* powering on/off works by just remotely powering the cam, but no switch, no standby
* there is no Audio Out, but HDMI and SDI would provide that
* there is no Davinci Resolve Studio license included (that's a real pain, IMHO...)
* full control via ATEM mini is possible (BRAW REC, but also iris, focus, ...)
* is there gyro data stored? [YES, as to blackmagic feedback below]
* USB-C storage and ethernet control at the same time possible? how? [YES, as to feedback below]
* Which USB-C dongles with ethernet and additional USB ports are tested to work? [OPEN]
* is there a e.g. Smallrig cage with SSD holder that fits? [NOT YET, but alternatives..see thread]
* is Bluetooth control (e.g. via App or Portkeys LH5P II) possible? [NO seems to be the final answer]

my possible usecases for the new Micro G2 boxed cam:

* mount in a gimbal (wide prime MFT lens)
* fix-mount for a talking head interview with ATEM control, mixed with two other bmpcc4k (prime MFT lenses)
* rig it with a 1500 nits monitor for run-and-gun scenario (zoom MFT lens) (unfortunately, no Bluetooth, though...)

what do you guys think?
regards
Mike
Last edited by Michael Kropfberger on Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

Michael Kropfberger

Re: All about: Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K G2

PostFri Oct 13, 2023 8:32 am

adding one more question...
* is Bluetooth control (e.g. via App or Portkeys LH5P II) possible?
Intel i9-12900ks, 64GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M2 SSD (system), 2TB EVO860 SSD (media), 1TB EVO850 SSD (cache), RTX 4090, Win 10x64 latest

forward

PostMon Oct 16, 2023 8:30 pm

hi,
I was in touch with Blackmagic recently with similar queries.
To answer two of your questions:
1, they said it is bluetooth equipped so it should be possible to control the camera via a Portkeys monitor or similar (this is so important as the button menu is unusable imo)
2, it has no gyro data sensor unlike the BMPCC4k, so this is not possible.

I put forward a user request with them to include the 2.6k mode of the bmpcc4k so we can still use s16 glass and have another crop option other than 4k and 1080 when using a prime on a gimbal etc. Hopefully more people will ask for this and they will implement it (it would just require a firmware tweak I believe..)

this camera has such good potential as a perfect gimbal camera- the previous version (BMMCC) was so great for this - so tiny and effortless to rig / operate all day... i still have a couple and hope to use the cages from them for the new one. A samsung T5 or similar on top should be the perfect width

Hope this is of some help

tbmatuka

PostTue Oct 17, 2023 11:20 pm

Michael Kropfberger wrote:* USB-C storage and ethernet control at the same time possible? [OPEN]

It should be possible because the tech specs page for the camera says it supports multiple file sharing protocols. For example: "Download files from any drive attached to your camera using FTP."

I would like to add the question "Which USB-C dongles with ethernet and additional USB ports are tested to work?"

Michael Kropfberger

PostThu Oct 19, 2023 12:20 pm

BTW, I've already ordered this cam last week, unfortunately I now got a delay message, so Europe seems to get it somewhen in December :(
I also ordered a Portkeys LH5P II, hoping that the bluetooth connectivity will work..

Who also waits for this cam, with what expectations/usecases?

greets
Mike

Michael Kropfberger

PostThu Oct 19, 2023 3:59 pm

tbmatuka wrote:I would like to add the question "Which USB-C dongles with ethernet and additional USB ports are tested to work?"

added to top :) thanks!

ukc999

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 1:23 pm

Hi there

Ordered it too during IBC, hope BMD will be quicker than usual...
Do you guys plan on controlling the cam via BT or wifi from a ATEM software PC ? this needs a piece of equipment right ?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 4:41 pm

[DELETE]
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 21, 2023 1:58 am

While it was not stated specifically in the Product Specs, the Micro Studio Camera 4K G2 will support gyro data for stabilization in the BRAW files. As the product is not released sometimes information is late. Better information will be available once the product is released and a manual is posted. I hope this helps. And No. I cannot offer any future information about the camera.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Michael Kropfberger

PostSat Oct 21, 2023 6:49 am

thats great, thanks for thus direct insight!!! i will update the top list accordingly! horray!!

forward

PostSat Oct 21, 2023 9:57 am

that is great news about the Gyro data!
The camera would be near perfect if you could navigate BM's brilliantly intuitive menu system for the camera through an attached BMVA monitor...

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Oct 21, 2023 4:48 pm

[DELETE]
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kropfberger

PostSat Oct 21, 2023 4:50 pm

...well, that's why I have already ordered the Portkeys LH5P II next to the 4kG2 cam... should allow all basic controls ...

asyntomati.cam

PostThu Oct 26, 2023 11:19 pm

WOW ! I'm so happy to read it includes the gyro and bluetooth ! :o
I hope it will work with the new tilta nucleus nano II !

Also hope the 2.6K will be quickly implemented to use my S16mm lenses !

A question : I see a screwhole on the side of the USB-C port, is blackmagic planning to sell some USB-C cable with a screw to fix on the camera ? Or is it compatible with the one done by tilta ? Any of these would be incredible as the cam has no "safe" internal recording.

Thanks so much !
Last edited by asyntomati.cam on Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michel Rabe

PostFri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 pm

Does anyone have this camera yet?

I'd love to know how the latency from the SDI out is.

willvontagen

PostThu Nov 02, 2023 2:09 pm

This is all great news—although in my conversation with BMD it was stated multiple times that Bluetooth was not in this camera… but I am hoping the now obvious delays could be a result of some last minute changes. I would also like to see a s16 mode but it’s fairly low on the list for me as only one of my lenses is s16 specific (Canon 8-64 T/2.4). I’m glad MFT is sticking around, though!

On another note, I have a cage in production now for the G2. As well as an ssd holder, back cheese plated, USBC locks and much more (15mm rod support and a metabones adapter lock). I began work back in May (initially for the original BMMCC/BMMSC) and was pleasantly surprised to see they were re-releasing the Micro. The cage is CNC machined out of aluminum and anodized black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaheedMalik

PostSat Nov 04, 2023 12:56 am

willvontagen wrote:This is all great news—although in my conversation with BMD it was stated multiple times that Bluetooth was not in this camera… but I am hoping the now obvious delays could be a result of some last minute changes. I would also like to see a s16 mode but it’s fairly low on the list for me as only one of my lenses is s16 specific (Canon 8-64 T/2.4). I’m glad MFT is sticking around, though!

On another note, I have a cage in production now for the G2. As well as an ssd holder, back cheese plated, USBC locks and much more (15mm rod support and a metabones adapter lock). I began work back in May (initially for the original BMMCC/BMMSC) and was pleasantly surprised to see they were re-releasing the Micro. The cage is CNC machined out of aluminum and anodized black.
When does it come out officially?

ted ramasola

PostSat Nov 04, 2023 2:11 am

Is there a LP-E6 to np-f plate available for this camera?
Or better yet, an LP-E6 to micro v-mount adapter plater?

I recalled seeing a post a while back of such an adapter for lp-e6 to np-f but I doubt it was ever mass produced.
System:
PC Windows Pro 11
i7 3.4 ghz 64gig RAM
RTX 4070
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Intensity Pro 4K

Howard Roll

PostSat Nov 04, 2023 3:57 am

ted ramasola wrote:Is there a LP-E6 to np-f plate available for this camera?

I recalled seeing a post a while back of such an adapter for lp-e6 to np-f but I doubt it was ever mass produced.

There was a guy, starvingartist101, that made an lp to np adapter. I don’t believe anyone is still making one.

viewtopic.php?t=56687

Good Luck

willvontagen

PostSat Nov 04, 2023 4:00 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:
willvontagen wrote:This is all great news—although in my conversation with BMD it was stated multiple times that Bluetooth was not in this camera… but I am hoping the now obvious delays could be a result of some last minute changes. I would also like to see a s16 mode but it’s fairly low on the list for me as only one of my lenses is s16 specific (Canon 8-64 T/2.4). I’m glad MFT is sticking around, though!

When does it come out officially?

The Cage and accessories will be available to order November 17 and will ship at the end of the month. I’m not sure when BMD will release the G2–it’s clearly been delayed a little (Hopfully to add a few extra features like Bluetooth etc.)

asyntomati.cam

PostMon Nov 06, 2023 9:48 am

ted ramasola wrote:Is there a LP-E6 to np-f plate available for this camera?

Or use a dummy LP-E6 to D-TAP connected to your Vlock mount.

Michel Rabe

PostThu Nov 09, 2023 5:00 pm

I can't believe they stuck with LP-E6 for this cam.

Making it NP-F to be able to use much larger and versatile (USB power out ect) batteries was the lowest hanging fruit of all.

Wait, seeing the Pocket series, I actually can believe they stuck with a bad power solution.

Howard Roll

PostThu Nov 09, 2023 5:23 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:I can't believe they stuck with LP-E6 for this cam.

Making it NP-F to be able to use much larger and versatile (USB power out ect) batteries was the lowest hanging fruit of all.

Wait, seeing the Pocket series, I actually can believe they stuck with a bad power solution.

I'm torn between the battery decision and button placement.

Good Luck

Michel Rabe

PostFri Nov 10, 2023 11:24 am

Howard Roll wrote:
Michel Rabe wrote:I can't believe they stuck with LP-E6 for this cam.

I'm torn between the battery decision and button placement.

Good Luck

You have a point there.

boldceo

PostFri Nov 10, 2023 4:16 pm

Anyone have a rough idea of when the Micro G2 is going to ship? A few weeks ago a rep at Adorama said they were supposed to get stock by Nov 5th - now they are just saying "I'm not sure".

Have a few on pre-order. Don't mind waiting a few more weeks - but if this isn't going to land until 2024 I may need to look at other options for our studio.

Yannick Willox

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 10:07 am

In Belgium all dates are shifting towards Jan 24. That means 4 more rentals for me…

I agree 100% about battery. The first thing many of us do is buy a Smallrig no-f battery plate with the correct cable. Would be nice if it would accept a bigger battery by design. What on earth can we possibly do with a canon battery which will not give 1h running time. It is an unmanned cam !!!

ted ramasola

PostTue Nov 14, 2023 1:41 am

I was looking at Q&As on the B&H product page and both blackmagic and B&H representative answered to the question about bluetooth that it does not have wifi and bluetooth. Answer was dated Oct 21.
Sigh...
I was hoping to control it via a portkeys monitor. I guess not.
Attachments
BM blutooth question.jpg
BM blutooth question.jpg (142.34 KiB) Viewed 41695 times
System:
PC Windows Pro 11
i7 3.4 ghz 64gig RAM
RTX 4070
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Intensity Pro 4K

willvontagen

PostTue Nov 14, 2023 2:49 am

I think it’s a strong possibility the delays are in reaction to a strong response in preorders and BMD is possibly adding some features—so I wouldn’t lose hope for Bluetooth. Even just through the app would be great. Initially Gyro was also not looking like it would be on the table but there you go

I’m also fine either way, it looks like it’s going to be a great camera. The work for the cage is turning out pretty sharp and will make it a joy to work with. Presales start on Friday!

Tad Errey

PostTue Nov 14, 2023 12:15 pm

There's what, 28 replies (29 thanks to this) on this thread and just one that hints at an actual fact, that there just might be Bluetooth, maybe.

To what end? It's a very dull camera, from a very dull announcement. I own heaps of the original, but I see nothing to draw me to its replacement. The original, with its ~S16 size sensor is fantastic when paired with the Metabones BMPCC adapter (and its successors). Fast and super agile, with heaps of zoom reach thanks to the generous crop factor in the speed booster. The expansion port gave me options, they were never not frustrating but I made several products to control zoom via external controller (thanks to S.BUS) or use it on gimbals thanks to the Visca it spat out.

The new model with its larger sensor is much harder to adapt, the speed booster offers only a modest aperture improvement and I've lost all that zoom reach. And the USB-C port with the promise of an ethernet interface? I can interface that, but what a clunky setup: to go out from camera to an ethernet dongle, then from that into an ethernet enabled MCU, and they've promised nothing about what might be available on that protocol.

The removal of the expansion port closes the electronic user interface chapter for BMD.

I'm not inspired. A BMD announcement hasn't inspired me in a long while.

willvontagen

PostSat Nov 18, 2023 2:53 am

Hey all! Here is a link to the video overview for the Micro Cage system I designed that is now available for preorder. It I compatible with the G2 as well!

Howard Roll

PostSat Nov 18, 2023 6:05 am

Tad Errey wrote:…and they've promised nothing about what might be available on that protocol.

No promises, only documentation.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... ontrol.pdf

Good Luck

dawnsen

PostSat Nov 18, 2023 9:32 pm

willvontagen wrote:Hey all! Here is a link to the video overview for the Micro Cage system I designed that is now available for preorder. It I compatible with the G2 as well!

How do you know it's compatible with the G2? Have you got one?

willvontagen

PostSat Nov 18, 2023 9:53 pm

dawnsen wrote:
willvontagen wrote:Hey all! Here is a link to the video overview for the Micro Cage system I designed that is now available for preorder. It I compatible with the G2 as well!

How do you know it's compatible with the G2? Have you got one?
I do not have one, but the physical dimensions of the G2 are nearly identical to the G1/BMMCC—with the G2 being .06“ wider. Height and length are identical. MFT mount diameter is universal. I initially designed the cage for the G1 but widened it accordingly after the G2 was announced. So sure, I can’t say 100% it will fit without testing it but I am 99.999% certain it will.

If not, the order is being produced in waves and if there are issues I can have them changed before the second batch is made—as there are enough G1 users to satisfy the current inventory.

However I have very little doubt it will fit perfectly given the fact that BMD released the physical dimensions of the camera.

Here is the G1 vs G2

Howard Roll

PostSun Nov 19, 2023 11:07 pm

What I'd like to see from the Micro line are purpose built backpacks that accommodate the intended shooting style.

Here's a rough render of a backpack that would take POE ethernet and break it out to power and Cat (then ultimately USBC), then another connector that would adapt from micro to full-size BNC.

Another option would be a backpack that adapted to a larger battery and had a card reader for onboard recording for single cam scenarios.

Good Luck

bp2.png
bp2.png (864.04 KiB) Viewed 39206 times

willvontagen

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 5:49 am

Kim Janson wrote:By the marketing the Micro G2 seems to be only for fixed installation studio work. Sure it will be great for that except no B4 lenses and no zoom servo via camera. So I guess the goal is to sell many of them fixed installed around the studio with fixed lenses. That seems to be BMD approach over all, no interest or support for PTZ.

But hey, BMD listened to us. The battery is marketed only for backup purpose, not sure if it even comes with the camera.

backup.jpg

Note: The trickle charged sounds a bit weird regarding LiPo batteries. As I understand it is a small constant current method used with some other battery chemistries. Some may wonder also how the well locked power connector comes loose by accident, but maybe someone forgot to screw it.
Are you familiar at all with the earlier iterations of this camera? There are hundreds of options for lenses with an MFT mount—and many of them will remote zoom with the help of other BMD accessories if you are wanting them to operate that way in a studio...

Also, the Micro is far from restricted to a studio setting. It can be built out for just about any purpose. Beyond that, the on board battery will—while they call it a backup in case DC power is dropped (either from hardwire of from a DTap v-mount)—the lp-e6 will power the camera for close to an hour.

Howard Roll

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 6:33 pm

I never got anywhere close to an hour of battery life on any of my Micro4Ks. Running them 8-12 hours a day I would have them sporadically shut down using the supplied 12v 1.67a dc power supply. Using 3 amp power supplies solved the random shutdown issue.

Many of the older cams would shut down when the battery got down to 7v. A "dead" battery might have another 30-40% left in the tank.The new camera requires even more current, 18-25w. On the plus side the power management of the newer cams is better, but at best it's a wash. I guess we'll find out definitively in a couple months.

Good Luck

Howard Roll

PostThu Nov 23, 2023 7:07 pm

willvontagen wrote:—and many of them will remote zoom with the help of other BMD accessories if you are wanting them to operate that way in a studio...

There are 3 (current) MFT zooms that will probably work and maybe another 3 EF lenses so long as the firmware between BM, Canon, and Metabones stays copacetic. Optimistically 6 though I don't know if I'd personally consider that to be many.

Kim Janson wrote:That seems to be BMD approach over all, no interest for PTZ and no support for it.

For serious studio work more often than not the PTZ system incorporates lens control, not the switcher. It's the PTZ operator that's going to control zoom and focus, not the director. Panasonic makes some switchers that are purpose built for both but it's an integrated end to end Panasonic solution.

Good Luck

Tad Errey

PostFri Nov 24, 2023 5:58 am

Howard Roll wrote:There are 3 (current) MFT zooms that will probably work and maybe another 3 EF lenses so long as the firmware between BM, Canon, and Metabones stays copacetic. Optimistically 6 though I don't know if I'd personally consider that to be many.

If you're talking about the Canon CN-E range, I have a couple on the studio cameras with the Metabones T Cine adapters. Zoom via the BMD zoom demand OR the ATEM protocol is one speed, there's no fine control. So as you can't ramp up and down, zoom is not actually usable for a live shot (unless you fancy the clunky PTZ zoom look). We use the Canon zoom demand directly into the lens, but then we miss out on the assignable buttons on the BMD zoom demand.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 9:38 pm

[DELETE]
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tad Errey

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 9:59 pm

I'm still puzzled by this speculation, indeed the entire thread.

I would expect the picture that comes out of it to look like.. the other current MFT studio camera models. It doesn't do DCI because it's a studio camera, not a cinema camera.

If you expect or want more than has been announced, you're gonna be disappointed.

Michael Kropfberger

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 11:13 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:FYI: The user manual is now available

thanks for pointing out!
after reading, I agree: unfortunately no word about bluetooth :(

I see support for the "horizon" indicator, so definitely a gyro is built in... good news :)
even more, it's mentioned: "The motion sensor data can be used in DaVinci Resolve to stabilize clips. Refer to the ‘gyro stabilization’ section for more information." and later on in a gyro section.. perfect!

I dont like, that BM went away from ISO values, but comes with Gain dB, which is the same, but looks odd...

it seems, that audio mic has no switchable phantom power

full IP network stack (dhcp+staticIP) is configurable on the G2, for the usb to ethernet adapter
The cam even hosts an ftp-server, smb and http directly on cam for file transfer... nice!
No live-streaming mentioned, though..
but fully REST API programmable, eg. remote "start recording", but only "get timecode", no "set timecode"... :(
interestingly, the API let's you set a frameRate of up to 120, but maybe it will fail doing so...
official max Resolution is 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD) up to 60 fps
The API even can format the disk remotely.. nice, but dangerous!
lots of other API stuff, but I spare you the details...

I really dont get, why they didnt add an ethernet plug (or WiFi) directly... fiddeling with an adapter ... huh...
we have to find out, how to get usb->network+disk at the same time... then it's a beast!

greets
Mike

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 4:24 pm

[DELETE]
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 4:33 pm

[DELETE]
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Michael Kropfberger

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 5:37 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:The user manual states you can switch the UI to use & display ISO instead of GAIN.

sorry but I dont find this in the manual... all is Gain there, even with ATEM GUI screenshots...

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 5:55 pm

[DELETE]
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kropfberger

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 6:48 pm

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:..., then (probably) 0dB gain = 400 ISO, 10dB gain = 1250 ISO, and 18dB = 3200 ISO.
Cheers.

I also think so...

Howard Roll

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 8:51 pm

I’m curious to see how the USBC hub situation shakes out. There’s a section of the manual dedicated to file transfer which indicates, this camera, unlike all others thus far, is capable of using a USB hub of some sort. FTP and recording require both ethernet and attached storage.

Good Luck

pancake

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 11:14 am

I'm looking at a few of these for our livestreaming setup. I picked up somewhere that zoom and focus were possible over HDMI. Was I dreaming?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 1:19 am

[DELETE]
Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo on Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

pancake

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 6:27 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Page 84 in the camera's user manual says:

Yes, thanks Peter. I went through the manual last night, and came to the same conclusions. It should just work. Awesome. Will order now, but like others mentioned: there seems to be a serious delay in the launch, at least here in Europe.

Too bad there may only be four lenses available that allow for zoom though.

Edit: can I safely assume that camera control with uni-directional HDMI cables will not work?
Next

Return to Live Production