Talkback Help!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

richskiddle

Talkback Help!

PostTue Nov 14, 2023 2:58 pm

Hi All

Regular reader but first time poster

We have two Black Magic ATEM's -
Television Studio HD8 ISO & ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K

We use 2 x Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro with the Studio Converter on each.

I've recently tried and failed to use talkback.

On the HD8 I didn't get very far at all, I had a Sennheiser Broadcast Headset plugged in the XLR5 and was getting audio off the desk but nothing else.

I've then been trying the Studio Pro 4k with a Bose A30 plugged into the desk which operates as expected
. The Sennheiser Broadcast headset plugged into the Camera Pro. The camera operator can't hear me on the Sennheiser headset.

We then plugged a normal pair of headphones into the 3.5mm where the operator can now hear the talkback, but plugging a mic into the equivelant socket on the camera sends no audio talkback to the desk. I've tried the Push to Talk on the function button but that doesn't help at all.

I'm not sure if something isn't compatible, isn't wired properly or what but for something with very little documentation online it's not as plug and play as I hoped!

Any ideas?

Bill Xrisiko

Re: Talkback Help!

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 11:00 pm

Are your Converters Bi-Directional or single Direction?
You Have to use Bi directional Converters for the Talkback and the Camera Control options.
First check if you have Camera control. Keep in mind that you have to asign the converters through the app to every SDI input and Camera

JDodge3

PostWed Dec 20, 2023 4:58 pm

I have a piggyback question on this. I'm using Sennheiser CABLE-II-X5 Straight Copper Cable with XLR-5 Connector for HMD26/46 Headsets (6.6') on my hd8 but getting no sound. Any suggestions? The headset is the Sennheiser HMD 26-II-100 Professional Broadcast Headset

amtrain247

PostThu Dec 28, 2023 11:52 pm

JDodge3 wrote:I have a piggyback question on this. I'm using Sennheiser CABLE-II-X5 Straight Copper Cable with XLR-5 Connector for HMD26/46 Headsets (6.6') on my hd8 but getting no sound. Any suggestions? The headset is the Sennheiser HMD 26-II-100 Professional Broadcast Headset

Having the same issue with the same hardware. Any remedies?

richskiddle

PostWed Jan 24, 2024 11:26 am

Chaps

I don't know if this solves your problem but we updated the software on our stem (we are using a tv studio 4k) and realised we were a few firmware bits behind, and is if by magic, as long as all the direct talk buttons are activated the TalkBack has come to life

thanh.tran2k

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 3:14 am

richskiddle wrote:Chaps

I don't know if this solves your problem but we updated the software on our stem (we are using a tv studio 4k) and realised we were a few firmware bits behind, and is if by magic, as long as all the direct talk buttons are activated the TalkBack has come to life

Can you tell me what camera you are using for the talkback function
Thank you !

richskiddle

PostFri Mar 15, 2024 7:01 pm

Sorry missed this. It's a black magic studio 4k though they all seem to work in a similar way. What have you got?

Return to Live Production