SDI to HDMI 3G Micro Converter not getting HDMI Signal?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

archjeb

SDI to HDMI 3G Micro Converter not getting HDMI Signal?

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 8:11 pm

Hi Folks,

I just bought a couple of the SDI to HDMI 3G Micro Converters with the USB-C port on them so I have them as some onsite spares.

My existing SDI to HDMI 3G Micro Converters are the previous generation ones that have the micro USB port of them with the power supply that was supplied by BlackMagic.

The older gen ones are working just fine. But when I take the new USB-C based SDI->HDMI converters, I can't get an HDMI signal. The white LED does go solid when I plug the HDMI port into the monitor and the SDI port is plugged in with the signal that was working with the older converter.

Any ideas on why this is not working? Both of the new ones are behaving the same way.

I connected to them with the Converter App, and here is the firmware that is running on the new converters.
Version 7.5.3, Build fpga:00000008 xmega:500ba6e2

Thanks

-Jeremy

archjeb

Re: SDI to HDMI 3G Micro Converter not getting HDMI Signal?

PostWed Nov 22, 2023 7:03 pm

I'm wondering if its an EDID issue?

I ran another test and forced the source to 720p and it came up just fine with the new Micro Converter.

Really weird, because the older micro-usb BM Microconverter worked just fine and I didn't have to force anything. What is also weird is that if I use a cheap jtech or mono price converter it works fine too.

It is just the new usb-c microconverter with the this firmware release.

Is there a new firmware release that might address this?

Thanks.
Jeremy

archjeb

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 1:58 am

Anyone? I can't believe that I would be the only person experiencing this.

jt1972

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 11:52 am

archjeb wrote:The older gen ones are working just fine. But when I take the new USB-C based SDI->HDMI converters, I can't get an HDMI signal. The white LED does go solid when I plug the HDMI port into the monitor and the SDI port is plugged in with the signal that was working with the older converter.

1. What is the frame rate and resolution you are feeding in to SDI->HDMI converters?

2. Have you tried to output to an another monitor, like TV?

eMilty

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 12:42 pm

How long is the SDI connection that you are feeding to the converter? Could it be that older generation converters handle low signals better than the newer generation? Do you have any other equipment with an SDI IN to connect to the cable to see if that works?

ManchesterV

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 5:41 pm

If 720p is working then I'd look at the HDMI cable length and/or quality.

Typically 720P being lower bandwidth survives longer HDMI runs that 1080p (all else being equal).

archjeb

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 5:51 pm

So I had a little more time to try this and try adding an EDID manager in the mix.

I've tested this on 4 monitors and the same behavior.

I've tested this in production environment and the SDI run is only 60' from the SDI Dist amp. I tried this on 3 different monitors in the production environment.

The 4th monitor is on my desk isolated from the production network.
To simplify the setup, I've moved this test setup to my desk with a simple setup. Only a single monitor in the mix with a single HDMI->SDI and then SDI->HDMI converter in the test setup with only 1' of cable. Same behavior - HDMI Handshake fails.
I'm only seeing this with the new USB-C based Blackmagic SDI->HDMI converters. No issue with the JTECH & Monoprice ones I have in the toolbox.

Now what is interesting is if I add an EDID Manager between the laptop and the HDMI->SDI converter, then it works just fine with the BlackMagic converter.

HDMI_no1.jpg
HDMI_no1.jpg (209.13 KiB) Viewed 2355 times

HDMI_no2.jpg
HDMI_no2.jpg (212.21 KiB) Viewed 2355 times

HDMI_Yes.jpg
HDMI_Yes.jpg (213.01 KiB) Viewed 2355 times

This is really weird. Seems like a firmware issue to me since this seems laser focused on EDID issues.

jt1972

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 7:02 pm

archjeb wrote:This is really weird. Seems like a firmware issue to me since this seems laser focused on EDID issues.

Great work! Hopefully BMD will fix this ASAP!

Howard Roll

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 7:30 pm

It's not the EDID on the Blackmagic converter side. The BM converter doesn't like the SDI input from the HDMI-SDI on the computer side. If it were a Blackmagic EDID issue then the EDID manager would have fixed it, which it did not, because there was no signal. Not to say this isn't an issue, it still is, but it's on the other side of the box.

Good Luck

archjeb

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 7:52 pm

Howard.

What I don't understand is why the Gen1 Blackmagic Converter works just fine. Same with the JTECH and the Monoprice.
Its ONLY when I put the Gen 2 Blackmagic SDI->HDMI Converter in that I have this issue.

Something changed firmware wise...how else do you explain why my old BM converters are working just fine on the same system install?

Howard Roll

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 8:54 am

I’m saying it’s an input issue not an output issue. SDI doesn’t use EDID and there are two SDI interfaces that happen before the signal hits the monitor. The handshake from the BM converter and the monitor is fine. There’s something in the SDI feed that the converter doesn’t like.

Good Luck

ManchesterV

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 6:26 pm

If you plug in an HDMI camera instead of the laptop does everything work?

You haven't said exactly what signal the laptop is sending - if it's manually configured or not.

The resolution and/or refresh rate for external displays can go squiffy if not set to proper VIDEO standards.

Decimators and UdX converters are handy for that reason.

eMilty

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 11:14 am

What is the brand/model of the HDMI to SDI converter at the computer end?

KirillH

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 4:28 pm

I came across the fact that the signal from the BM "Microconverter HDMI-SDI 3G" does not recognize either the unique, cheap, Chinese "Wiistar SDI-VGA" or the expensive "Kramer SDI-HDMI". However, these devices work adequately with the BM DeckLink Duo. The fact was that by default in the MicroConverter HDMI-SDI, "level B" is set in preferences. When switching to "level A" and "Chinese" and "Israeli" work correctly. As I understand it, "Level B" allows the device to process two 1.5 G streams, and level A - one 3G stream. I want to understand why "two 1.5G" is enabled by default when "3G" is written on the case

Return to Live Production