ATEM TV Studio Pro HD - green screen help

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

achancesw

ATEM TV Studio Pro HD - green screen help

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 4:12 pm

I am trying to key a camera facing a greenscreen over a laptop output (weather map) in another input.

I cannot seem to figure out how to get it to work

PhoenixRiddle

Re: ATEM TV Studio Pro HD - green screen help

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 7:02 pm

The ATEM TV Studio Pro HD is equipped with an upstream keyer that's perfect for chroma keying with green screens. This keyer can work with various elements such as chroma, patterns, shapes, and linear keys, which is useful for your weather map overlay setup​​.

What I would recommend to do is to watch this cool tutorial video at
. I think it's very relevant to your situation.

Hope this helps!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

achancesw

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 7:08 pm

Oh yeah, watched that a ton trying to figure it out. Its a different model than the one I have.

My main issue is, it only gives me 3 slider bars to fine tune the keying.

Gain

y suppression

lift

None of them really help, only make it worse

PhoenixRiddle

PostThu Dec 07, 2023 9:37 am

Hmm... You can also try a different approach. The three sliders you mentioned – Gain, Y Suppression, and Lift – are critical for fine-tuning the key.

My suggestion would be to start with Gain. It adjusts the intensity of the chroma key. Too high, and you might get some spill; too low, and the key might not be clean.

Try to get a decent key without worrying about the spill or shadows first. Once you have a satisfactory key, use Y Suppression to manage any spill, and then fine-tune with Lift for shadow details.

It can be a bit of trial and error, but patience is key (no pun intended!).
Cheers!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

Patrick Cody

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 9:33 pm

I have the same model switcher - the TV Studio Pro HD. The chroma keying on it is limited, as you point out. In all of the tutorial videos I have watched, their setting options look differently - they all have "Chroma Sample" and spill suppression, and a little preview window. Are those options only available on the 4K model switchers?

Thanks

Patrick

adamtow

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 6:12 am

If you look at the Blackmagic section on ATEM switchers, you can tell which switchers has which chroma keyer by looking for the word “Advanced”.

Newer ATEM switchers come with the Advanced Chroma Keyer, which has additional features like Chroma Sample, Spill and Flare Suppression. The older ATEM switchers, which your TV Studio HD seems to fall under, has the older, more basic chroma keyer.
Developer of MixEffect, the best app for controlling your ATEM switchers using your iPhone, iPad, and Apple Silicon Mac: https://mixeffect.app

Return to Live Production