Studio Converter Return Video 2 to HDMI on Camera

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Russmun

Studio Converter Return Video 2 to HDMI on Camera

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 4:09 pm

I keep seeing on these forums and in operation manuals that video connected to the Return 2 input on a Studio Converter will, by default, go to the HDMI output on a Studio Camera 6k Pro via ethernet. I have video connected to the Studio Converter Return 2 input, can see it on the SC's monitor when I press the front button, but it doesn't go to the HDMI output on the camera. I only see video from that camera coming from its HDMI.

Is there a setting that I am missing?

Blair Christensen

Re: Studio Converter Return Video 2 to HDMI on Camera

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 8:41 am

Is everything running the same video format?

robertsmu

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 12:06 pm

Do you also have video connected to the return 1 input?

Russmun

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 5:20 pm

I have program video connected to Return Video 1 on the Studio Converter and it shows up fine on the camera. I can see the image I'm feeding to the SC on its front LCD. It's showing it as 1080i. Not sure if that could be an issue or not. I've seen that the resolution of the camera HDMI output in this configuration is 1080P. Seems as though if there's an image in the SC then it should be able to go to the camera.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 6:59 pm

I will offer this. Make sure there is no cable connection to the RJ-45 labeled Control on the back of the Studio Converter. It offers no function at this time and can have some effect on operation for some reason. Note Return 2 will only appear on the HDMI and not the viewfinder of the camera. I hope this helps.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Russmun

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 8:44 pm

Gary Adams wrote:I will offer this. Make sure there is no cable connection to the RJ-45 labeled Control on the back of the Studio Converter. It offers no function at this time and can have some effect on operation for some reason. Note Return 2 will only appear on the HDMI and not the viewfinder of the camera. I hope this helps.

Gary

Thanks. We don't have anything connected to the control port. And we are monitoring the HDMI output. All I am seeing from that output is the direct camera feed, not what is connected to Return 2 on the Studio Converter. I'd really like to get this working to feed a teleprompter.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 07, 2024 9:17 pm

The only other thing I can think of is if the Ethernet is connected at 5G. Does the display say 10Gb/s on the Studio Converter? If it says 5Gb, then Return 2 won't work. Do you get tally and camera control from the ATEM?

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Russmun

PostFri Mar 08, 2024 4:57 pm

Gary Adams wrote:The only other thing I can think of is if the Ethernet is connected at 5G. Does the display say 10Gb/s on the Studio Converter? If it says 5Gb, then Return 2 won't work. Do you get tally and camera control from the ATEM?

Gary

I'm using a Cat 7 cable and I do get tally, talkback, and Return Video 1. It is showing a 10Gb/s connection. I am not using an ATEM switcher, I am using a Tricaster. Would this functionality be dependent on the use of an ATEM for some reason?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 08, 2024 5:58 pm

No. Try feeding Return 2 only. with the cable feeding Return 1. Do you see it on the HDMI Output.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Russmun

PostFri Mar 08, 2024 6:24 pm

Gary Adams wrote:No. Try feeding Return 2 only. with the cable feeding Return 1. Do you see it on the HDMI Output.

Gary

I tried that and it didn't make a difference. I'm still just seeing a direct output from the camera via the HDMI output no matter what is connected to Return Video 2 on the Studio Converter.

Is this function an automatic default with no configuration needed?
Am I missing a setting on the SC or camera? I don't see anything referencing this in the menus.
I think I'm on the latest firmware on both camera (8.2) and SC (2.0.4). Have there been any changes to this function with firmware versions?

Thanks,
Russ

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 08, 2024 7:55 pm

There is nothing to set up. I'll offer one last self test to see if the return 2 registers with the camera. With nothing connected to Return 1 or 2, view the output output of the HDMI which will be the camera direct as you know. Take an SDI cable and directly connect the SDI 1 Output on the back of the Studio Converter to Return 2 while watching the HDMI. When connected after a few seconds, the HDMI output should blank out and come back with the same camera feed, only now it would be the feed from the Output rather than internal. I am curious to see if you see the HDMI blank out for a few seconds. This is an indication that it is switching to Return 2.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Russmun

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 2:59 pm

Gary Adams wrote:There is nothing to set up. I'll offer one last self test to see if the return 2 registers with the camera. With nothing connected to Return 1 or 2, view the output output of the HDMI which will be the camera direct as you know. Take an SDI cable and directly connect the SDI 1 Output on the back of the Studio Converter to Return 2 while watching the HDMI. When connected after a few seconds, the HDMI output should blank out and come back with the same camera feed, only now it would be the feed from the Output rather than internal. I am curious to see if you see the HDMI blank out for a few seconds. This is an indication that it is switching to Return 2.

Gary

Thanks very much, Gary. I tried what you mentioned and it did disrupt the HDMI out video briefly. I then tried the SDI output from one of my other Studio Converters and that passed through to the HDMI output on the camera I've been testing. I went back and found the setting for 1080p on my PC, enabled that, and now I have the output of the Return Video 2 input properly outputting from the HDMI on the camera.
Apparently the resolution on the source has to be 1080p. I thought that since I was seeing the image on the SC front LCD screen then it would pass along to the camera's HDMI output, but apparently the source has to exactly match the default HDMI output format (1080p).
Thanks for your help!

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 5:39 pm

Hello Russel. Thank you for the feedback. I agree it sounds logical that seeing the image on the small display sounds reasonable. That's why I wanted to double check with a known source. I will feed this back as well.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production