Multiview AND video out to a projector

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Mike_O

Multiview AND video out to a projector

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 12:13 am

I'm an old broadcast guy looking for a Black Magic live conference solution. Need:
1. Streaming LAN Output (You Tube for instance).
2. Video out HDMI to feed a projector for the audience.
3. Multiview HDMI output.
The Mini Pro looks like it would do the job except that I don't see how to get the projector video out (full frame clean program feed) and the multiview output (to allow directing multiple cameras successfully).

I KNOW Black Magic can do these things but I can't find any mention of this common configuration in the Mini-Pro description and I can't belive Black Magic of all places doesn't provide this as it would seem to be the most common use of their equipment ..........I must be missing it.

robertsmu

Re: Multiview AND video out to a projector

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 11:05 am

You want the ATEM Mini Extreme, not the Mini Pro.

Mike_O

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 10:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Robert....but....upon review....NO I don't want the Mini Extreme. Certainly not for $1295....an extra $1000 for one port!!!

Always been happy with ATEM over the years however this missing port on the Mini is a deal killer.

SERIOUS research brought me to the Osee GoStream available here on Amazon for the same $295 as the Mini Pro.

It provides ALL of the outputs I need as well as onboard recording, preview/program banks and a whole bunch of other semi-professional abilities.

Again....THANKS for your input Robert.

Howard Roll

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 12:47 am

Yikes. I thought the Atem Mini packed a lot for $300. Preview bus, macro buttons, NDI, and a Tbar.

With BM cams, there’s a lot of integration that will never happen with 3rd party products. The Atems still have the advantage of camera control, tally, Resolve integration, software control, and a mature switching platform. That said I was about to pick up a mini just for fun, might have to take the Osee for a spin instead.

Good Luck

Mike_O

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 1:09 am

Mostly agree Howard....except:
1. I'm using Sony and Panasonic 4K cameras...not BM...so those BM camera specific items in the ATEM don't pertain.
2. As an old broadcaster I'm kinda lost without the ability to see ALL sources as well as Preview & Program so the multiview is a true MUST HAVE for me. Also, having seperate Preview & Program banks on the switcher matches the big switchers I use.
3. It seems (before getting it and playing) that the Osee equipment has a couple of other items I would use...such as recording AND playback at the same time from an inserted high speed SDHC chip.

NOT saying ATEM is BAD....I've used them before on a variety of projects where they've been supplied to me....but my corporate work around the country is moving in the direction where customers want me to be able to stream, feed house projectors and record the clean program output to hand to them all at the same time while I of course need the multiview. ATEM CAN do all of this if I want to move up to a switcher costing a thousand bucks more. It may be that ATEM needs to re-think things as technical needs grow. If their $295 device had just that one more output I'd have never started looking around.

Good luck to you sir.

LouisBacker

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 10:59 am

Mike_O wrote:
SERIOUS research brought me to the Osee GoStream available here on Amazon for the same $295 as the Mini Pro.

An excellent solution and well-spotted. I see that NDI|HX can added as a network Aux input, by purchasing an NDI licence from OSEE for just $69. That's quite a long-standing omission with the ATEM series. I wonder if Blackmagic will have a response to this at NAB....
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSun Mar 17, 2024 9:49 am

IF U want program out and multiview out , then U need Extreme .. Yes its expensive and not good (for me) ..
Maybe look at any used Atem TV Studio .. And ADD external streamer ..
BTW : i think , external streamer is much better , then builtin in atem .. If it freeze (thats normal think) , Then will freeze full atem , and U must power cycle it .. So U lost program out on LED screen (or where it goes) .. If your external streamer will freeze , U only restart it ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

RRRoger

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 6:04 pm

ATEM mini Extreme is the way to go.
Maybe you can split the HDMI output from the camera?
However
There is a rumor that this messes up the signal needed for camera control.
But that would not matter if the camera was NOT Black Magic

Return to Live Production