Constellation 4K audio mapping

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Andy Williams

Constellation 4K audio mapping

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 2:14 am

I have not seen anywhere in the manual or forum mentioning this (beyond complaints). What can it do and how does one utilize this feature of 9.3.1+ on the Constellation 4K? Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_0022.jpeg
IMG_0022.jpeg (74.72 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
589media
Live Video, Communications, Networks, Integration

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Constellation 4K audio mapping

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 3:58 am

This may not be in the Constellation manual however it was introduced in the Television Studio HD8 and 4K8 and described in their manual. It only applies to the Constellation 4K8 at the moment. If you open the Audio Menu (the one at the top of the application) you will see the capabilities provided by the software control. It’s a fairly new feature and needs to be migrated to the manuals. I hope this helps.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Andy Williams

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 11:14 am

Thank you for this info Gary. This is a fantastic feature that many including myself have been waiting for years to see included. This is great news and hopefully is rolled out to more products as time passes.
589media
Live Video, Communications, Networks, Integration

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 12:34 am

Yes .. We all are waiting to it for YEARS !
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

DMXRent

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 3:40 pm

Audio Mapping for Constellation HD ? ? ?

rgmproductions

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 7:50 pm

DMXRent wrote:Audio Mapping for Constellation HD ? ? ?

DMXRent wrote:Audio Mapping for Constellation HD ? ? ?

I too am extremely interested in this functionality for the Constellation 2 M/E HD. Full stop.

I know this is rather verbose, but feel I need to provide full context for the powers at BMD.
So, one specific use case I have for a audio mapping requirement:

We do many sporting events, one of which is for the sport of Ninja. (Think American Ninja Warrior obstacle courses. The courses are called RIGS).

For this example, we are using one Constellation 2ME HD switcher,. There are two RIGs, each with say 3 cameras that are independently being live switched, and sent out to there own Live Stream.

Each RIG has a physical timer/clock for the onsite audience. The "Clock" plays count down tones before each athlete's "RUN". 3,2,1 GO. Also, there are "chimes" or "buzz" sounds each time the athlete completes a skill. This is triggered by a referee following them. A successful completion of a skill is a, CHIME, where if they fail the skill a BUZZER sound. We pull this audio from a simple output of each CLOCK and run it into one of our cameras via XLR.

RIG #1 has 3 cameras plugged into the switcher using Inputs 1,2, & 3, and are being live switched on ME1, while at the same time RIG#2 has 3 different cameras using inputs 4,5, & 6, being live switched on ME2. (Different operators). RIG #1 CLOCK audio is plugged into CAM1, and RIG#2 CLOCK audio is plugged into CAM4.

ME1 PGM output is then sent to a Web Presenter using Aux1, ME2 PGM output sent to a different Web Presenter using AUX 2 allowing for independent live streams of each RIG.

AUDIO ROUTING: We then need to route RIG#1, CAM1 audio to be output on AUX1, and then RIG#2, CAM4 audio to be output on AUX2. Right now, all input audio is combined into only PGM AUDIO regardless of which ME, or AUX is used. Hopefully you can now see the problem this creates in my example, as each Live Stream is getting audio from both RIGS. These RUNS happen at different times, and is very confusing with the audio overlapping.

Sooo....

Having just attended NAB, I spoke directly with Darren Lew, the ATEM Product Manager, as well as Gary Adams. I told them both that I have the Constellation 2 M/E HD, and explained my need as described above. Darren indicated the new ATEM software update version 9.4 adding audio mapping capability also to these switchers and demo'd it for me.

Later, Gary then showed how the mapping is still somewhat limiting when using only the GUI, but how we could still edit the .xml file, which in turn gave me the full functionality I am looking for as described.

So, I rushed home, and downloaded the new 9.4 ATEM software and... Alas, the functionality is still NOT there for my 2 M/E HD. Audio mapping is greyed out when I look to save out the settings. (Perhaps they had a different beta or even alpha version they were demoing at the show??)

This is extremely important in my work flow, and does not make sense to me that it would ONLY be available on the 4/ME switchers or even the 4K switchers. They did have the new 4K 2ME switcher in the booth where they showed me this, so perhaps it is only a 4K thing?? Still weird to not offer it on all the Constellation switchers.

Sorry for the detail and length. However, I can think of many, many other situations where this audio control is needed. They told me at NAB it was now available for the 2ME ATEMs, but it appears to not be the case...

RM

Return to Live Production