Focus on Smartview 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Cameraguy

Focus on Smartview 4K

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 8:52 pm

Hey all,

I am running an ATEM Television Studio 4K8 with 3 Ursa Broadcast G2's, all connected with Camera fiber converters and Studio fiber converters. When I preview the cameras on the Smartview 4K, which is looping out of a Smartview Duo, it looks slightly soft on focus. If I turn on the peaking on the 4K monitor it indicates that focus is good, but the image itself looks a little soft. All of the SDI lines that are going from the switcher to the Eng rack that I have the monitors mounted in are 12G UHD compatible.

Any Ideas on what might be going on with this monitor?

Peace, Pete

Blair Christensen

Re: Focus on Smartview 4K

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 3:17 am

If you have a Smartview Duo in the chain, you are not running @ 4k. Are you aware of this?

Cameraguy

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 2:56 pm

Hey Blair,

Thanks for the clarification, but I don't think that that should cause the Smartview 4K monitor to have a less sharp image when running a 1080P 60 signal through it.

Peace, Pete

Cameraguy

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 3:01 pm

Hey Blair,

I also did not clarify that I am running Smartscop Duo 4K, not just the standard Smartscope Duo. So I should be seeing 4K in the Smartview. And as I said in my other post, I don't think I should be seeing a loss of sharpness in the Smartview even when running 1080p 60.

Peace, Pete

robertsmu

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 6:11 pm

I would counsel that since the Smartview 4K is a native 4k monitor, your 1080p is being scaled (magnified) to 4k by the monitor, and that that process may induce some softness.

But I will test with my Smartview 4k, and see if I notice the same condition. I shoot in 4k, but monitor the records in 1080p.

rogersuski

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 9:41 pm

The input hardware accepts a 6G signal and processes that. The panel is not 4k. Are your cameras and switcher set for a 4k resolution?

Blair Christensen

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 9:20 am

Have you tried plugging one of your cameras directly into the Smartview? What lenses are you using? What resolution are you running? Is the "softness" consistent over all 3 cameras? Perhaps you could load a 4k test image into the media pool of your ATEM and see how that displays on the monitor (ensuring the ATEM is set to 4k of course)

Cameraguy

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 4:53 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

I realized after I had sent out the original post that I was still running the camera with the iris all the way open, which obviously gives you no depth of field. So once I backed down my iris to 2.8 or even a little further everything seemed to dial right in. So this was a big old face palm to the head of forgetting where my iris was set.

Peace, Pete

Return to Live Production