BMCC 2.5K SDI burned out + TB2 Ultrastudio Mini Monitor

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Mirmih

BMCC 2.5K SDI burned out + TB2 Ultrastudio Mini Monitor

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 7:15 pm

Hi all! I have a BMCC 2.5K camera whose SDI output burned out. As far as they explained to me, this breakdown cannot be repaired (only replacement of the main board from the donor). BUT! I thought, what if I connect an ultrastudio mini monitor to the Thunderbolt output and pick up the SDI signal from this capture board. Has anyone tried this? Do I correctly understand the principle of operation of the thunderbolt output on this camera?

Blair Christensen

Re: BMCC 2.5K SDI burned out + TB2 Ultrastudio Mini Monitor

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 4:46 am

I believe both devices require a computer at the other end of the thunderbolt cable, so unfortunately no, this wouldn't work. What are you needing to use the SDI output for? I can imagine there is likely to be a fair amount of latency on the thunderbolt output as well, which would render it useless for most applications I can imagine you might need an SDI output for.

Mirmih

Re: BMCC 2.5K SDI burned out + TB2 Ultrastudio Mini Monitor

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 8:18 am

Blair Christensen wrote:I believe both devices require a computer at the other end of the thunderbolt cable, so unfortunately no, this wouldn't work. What are you needing to use the SDI output for? I can imagine there is likely to be a fair amount of latency on the thunderbolt output as well, which would render it useless for most applications I can imagine you might need an SDI output for.

Thx for the answer! I do broadcasts. I install cameras in Decklink 8K pro or ATEM (ISO or 1 M/E Production). BMCC is a budget option that suits me in all respects. If the delay is no more than via HDMI, then this will suit me quite well. Now I have an offer for a camera with a dead SDI output at a very good price. It’s still difficult to find a donor for a motherboard transplant, so I thought that we could organize the flow through a thunderbolt. There were also thoughts of connecting a thunderbolt-hdmi adapter and trying to get a picture on a monitor with hdmi to test the theory :)

Why do you think I'll need a computer for my idea?

Return to Live Production