ATEM TV Studio - Slider position is reversed

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

robibby

ATEM TV Studio - Slider position is reversed

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 7:11 pm

Since installing the software on a new computer the slider is reversed on a Blackmagic TV Studio original. So, if a camera is selected on Program (showing red), and a computer is selected on Preview (green), and the slider is positioned on Preview, the Camera is displayed on the Program Output, not the computer.
If I move the slider toward Program, the computer output is displayed, and Computer is seleced in red on Program. Preview shows Camera in green. I don't understand why the behaviour has changed, it's confusing. I'm having to use the BM HD Updowncross converter as the graphic card doesn't provide 1920 x 1080. Any advice appreciated.

stephen_neal

Re: ATEM TV Studio - Slider position is reversed

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 8:10 am

Isn't the ATEM TV Studio a standard 'flip flop' mixer?

Transitioning the fader always mixes to whatever is on PVW (+ whatever key transition you may also have active), and at the end of the transition the source that was PVW is now the on-air PGM source, and the source that was on-air on PGM is now on the PVW row.

It doesn't matter where the fader arm is visually - it's just the action of transitioning of the fader that is important - as it will always 'mix PVW to PGM' irrespectively. Ignore the position of the fader - it's not pointing at any particular row.

Howard Roll

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 1:46 pm

Atems can do both, I have no idea why. I’ve only seen A/B on old analog Panasonic switchers.

There are three transitions cut, auto, tbar. Any one of them will trans preview/program. The idea that the tbar follows the active bus is false. Press “cut” to flop the direction the fader’s pointing.

Nobody uses A/B, join the 21st Century (literally) and jump on the P/P bandwagon all the cool kids are doing it.

Good Luck

stephen_neal

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 2:35 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Atems can do both, I have no idea why. I’ve only seen A/B on old analog Panasonic switchers.

There are three transitions cut, auto, tbar. Any one of them will trans preview/program. The idea that the tbar follows the active bus is false. Press “cut” to flop the direction the fader’s pointing.

Nobody uses A/B, join the 21st Century (literally) and jump on the P/P bandwagon all the cool kids are doing it.

Good Luck

In the very old days A/B switching was more common - the BBC had mods on some of their GVG1600s to do it - but it's very rare. (You also sometimes see flipped PGM/PST- which was an option on BTS mixers - I think it was more common in Germany - and I can see some logic in the bus nearest you being 'live')

Howard Roll

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 4:11 pm

I can see having a preference of upper lower preset/program same as I can see left/right preview/program. A/B is the worst, you’re looking at the desk every 3 seconds to see which bus is live, it’s a painful way to cut a show. Last time I had the pleasure was using the venerable MX50 (Cheesemaster) back in 2008.

Good Luck

Return to Live Production