Newbie - How to start a new clip when camera switches?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Customkleinsllc

Newbie - How to start a new clip when camera switches?

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 7:10 am

I have a client that needs some film related tasks as part of a larger project.
I am new to this world as I am primarily a coder and dev.
I inherited the project as well which is unfortunate because I would have much rather developed from scratch.

Anyway here it goes, please chime in on anything you think you can help with.

We have 2 cameras. One stationary and one on a gimble. The stationary one runs the whole work day watching the job site. Now when a close up on a particular event is needed, the foreman goes to the atem mini pro and hits the button to switch to the portable camera. It has a transmitter attached and receiver back at the the stationary camera apparatus. All this is ran through a teradek mobile encoder and streamed to our media server.
What I need is a way to create a new clip when the gimble is used and from there I will need to use an API to add caption and push the clip through more steps.
The whole approach is not ideal in my opinion but if I can give them what they want I can wash my hands of the project which has lofty and ambitious requirements and a pay rate that is not matching that lol.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Howard Roll

Re: Newbie - How to start a new clip when camera switches?

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 5:21 pm

Is there a mechanism that allows the iso channels to be stopped and started independently? Last time I checked one could’t even disable the recording of unused inputs.

It might be easier to use the EDL to trim the gimgal footage from the long take.

Good Luck

Customkleinsllc

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 12:56 am

Howard Roll wrote:Is there a mechanism that allows the iso channels to be stopped and started independently? Last time I checked one could’t even disable the recording of unused inputs.

It might be easier to use the EDL to trim the gimgal footage from the long take.

Good Luck
So I'm on like day 3 of professional level AV related tasks and don't know any lingo. Is edl like an edit detection acronym? I apologize I'm more of a web app dev and networking specialty guy. It's appreciated regardless, if you do have the time to elaborate that'd be great.

Also the issue with the longer part of this film is that it's 8 hours a day of footage which would be taxing on the system to sort through I believe. I'm open to any suggestions for accomplishing automated creation of clips ty

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Frank Engel

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 8:42 am

Customkleinsllc wrote:Is edl like an edit detection acronym?

EDL = Edit Decision List

It is a file which describes the edits made during a video editing process.

In the case of the ATEM ISO recorders, an EDL file is generated during the ISO recording process describing how to recreate the combined recording from the ISO feeds, meaning in this context that it has a list of time codes of when all the camera/input changes took place (and which camera was switched to).

Blair Christensen

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 5:06 am

Perhaps Streamdeck and Companion could help?

Howard Roll

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 5:21 pm

I misread, I assumed the OP was on an ISO switcher.

What is the recording device? It might be as simple as creating a macro or maybe Companion. If you can code it great, but there are probably some over the counter solutions.

Good Luck

Return to Live Production