Control of ATEM outside of Local Netork

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tarmer

Control of ATEM outside of Local Netork

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 2:36 am

Hello All,

I have a question. Is it possible to control the ATEM SDI ISO from outside our local network?

I have a producer here who would like to control our ATEM located in our control room while out on remotes. My best guess is that it would have to be done one of two ways.

The first way is to open up the ATEM network port(s) on our router and add the port number to the ATEM's IP address in the ATEM software if it'll accept it. However I do not know the port to use and I can't find it documented anywhere. Does anyone know what it is?

The second way is to setup Remote Desktop Connection on a computer on the same network as the ATEM and remote control it that way. This would also have the advantage of being able to control other devices such as our Videohub as well.

Your suggestions?

Also does anyone know the network port(s) of the Videohub 12G as well?

Thank you very much for your time and help with this.

Thanks,
Toby

Howard Roll

Re: Control of ATEM outside of Local Netork

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 7:41 pm

Use software like Lanscan to scan for open ports on devices.

Remote desktop/Teamviewer is the easy solution.

Considering that you still need to sort the multiview maybe the Atem Streaming Bridge would be of use.

Good Luck

Julusian

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 10:38 pm

Atem control is udp 9910
Videohub control is tcp 9990

Frank Engel

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 11:08 am

tarmer wrote:The first way is to open up the ATEM network port(s) on our router and add the port number to the ATEM's IP address in the ATEM software if it'll accept it.

Bad idea. There is practically NO security built-in to these products as they are engineered with the expectation of a private local control network.

If you decide to share the ports outside your network, you should do so over a private VPN connection to ensure at least some measure of protection.

tarmer

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 2:13 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice so far.

Thanks Howard Roll for suggesting Lanscan for finding the network ports, I had forgotten about that.

Thanks Julusian for the port numbers.

Frank Engel thanks for reminding me the lack of security on these devices.

Currently I'm leaning toward a remote desktop connection which would have at least the security of that built in.

I'll need to see which route, direct ro remote connection, my producer wants to do.

Toby

Return to Live Production