MicroStudio 4kG2 with metabones speedbooster

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

zagatozee

MicroStudio 4kG2 with metabones speedbooster

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:15 pm

EF-MFT mount T Speed Booster Ultra 0.71x

I just picked one of these up thinking it'd be the perfect choice for being able to use my canon EF glass on the micro studio 4kg2, since it seems that every man and their dog says the metabones adapter is the best way to do this.

But the connection between the metabones and the camera is so tight that it can't even be attached without an extreme amount of force needing to be applied.

I haven't managed to get hold of another MFT lens yet to test if the camera mount is bad, or if it is the metabones.

Am I the only person to have expereinced an issue with this combination?
If not - is there a known way to adjust anything to make the connection work properly, or is it a case of "simply not compatible"?

zagatozee

Re: MicroStudio 4kG2 with metabones speedbooster

PostThu May 02, 2024 2:15 am

Update, I picked up a Lumix 14-42 native MFT lens, and this fits the 4KG2 perfectly.

I have an open support discussion with BMD and Metabones. BMD say they don't have a metabones in their labs to test compatibility (really?) and Metabones have asked for photos of the camera mount on the adapter to investigate further.

Both companies have been reasonably fast to respond to my request for assistance, bit no solutions have been offered yet.

At this stage I would say "buyer beware" - there appears to be a compatibility issue between teh 4KG2 nad the Metabones adapter.

I'll return and update if any solution is found.

Howard Roll

PostThu May 02, 2024 3:50 pm

There have been MFT flange issues with both fit and depth ever since BM released the Pocket a decade ago. They’re much less common today. It basically boils down to manufacturing tolerances. +.003 over here -.003 under there. It wouldn’t matter if Blackmagic had the adaptor because the fitment is going to be different with different hardware. Folks are using these with success so it’s not a global issue.

Good Luck

zagatozee

PostThu May 02, 2024 6:16 pm

Metabones Customer Service has offered to send me a replacement rear mount for the adapter.

Return to Live Production