Change output resolution on Constellation 4 M/E 4K?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

lwheeler

Change output resolution on Constellation 4 M/E 4K?

PostThu May 23, 2024 10:53 pm

Knowing that now there's a way to affect changes to the audio mapping via XML, I was wondering if there was a way to accomplish a similar goal, but with the output resolutions.

I have a few monitors that are 1080p that I use for my production desk because 2x 27" 1440p Dell Ultrasharps won't fit in the flip lid in my production desk, they say 24" is the max.

As a result, Windows text will often get mangled because of something somewhere in the signal chain. As a result, I've added an HDMI splitter that has a built-in downscaler and it helps, but it's still extremely janky.

I'm assuming that it should work just fine if I could output from the Aux outs at 1080p60, but I can't find a way of changing anything other than output 24.

Here's why it matters. I'm using the two displays as not just video outs for multiview/etc from the ATEM, but also for my stream computer, and I don't want to do it by switching inputs.

THe diagram attached may help, but I'm running this odd signal chain:

Stream computer DisplayPort 1 > DP to HDMI converter > Bi-Directional 12g converer
Bi-Directional SDI output > ATEM input
Bi-Directional HDMI output > HDMI splitter/downscaler > Dell monitor
ATEM output > Bi-Directional SDI input

I'm doing the same for DP2 to the second monitor as well.

This lets me switch the ATEM feed to the converter from PC or Multiview, effectively switching the "input" from the Stream Deck.

Believe it or not, this actually worked flawlessly with my Ultrasharp 27" 1440p displays. I only got text artifacts and locking up the PC while in idle after switching to the cheap Dell 1080p touch screens.

Ideally as a super-quick fix, I'd like to be able to change the output of the two SDI outputs from the ATEM to a 1080p feed so I can both remove the downscaler from the chain and and hopefully resolve the text artifacting and machine freezing behavior.

Alternatively, I'm going to have to talk to our Dell rep and see whether there are any 1440p or higher 24-25" monitors I can demo and potentially buy. But still, having the ability to change the SDI output resolution would be useful for other things down the line, I'm sure.

Any thoughs?
Attachments
stream-display-flow.PNG
stream-display-flow.PNG (47.08 KiB) Viewed 416 times

Return to Live Production