H264. Pro Recorder - OUT OF SYNC!!!!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

thegagne

H.264 Pro Recorder Audio Sync issue

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 8:04 pm

I also raised this issue on CreativeCow with no response, so here goes:

The Problem: H.264 Pro Recorder has audio sync problems for longer clips. Definitely unacceptable on 2 hour recordings, and even noticeable at 1 hour. This would be acceptable for a "non pro" device at $100, but not acceptable for a "pro" product that costs $500.

I have contacted support multiple times about this, but they say they have "no interaction with devs", only that this is a "known problem" and they are "working on it," but "don't expect it soon."

I'd return both of mine, but it's past my return period @ BH.

Can we get anyone from BMD to comment with more a more useful update?

thegagne

Re: H.264 Pro Recorder Audio Sync issue

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 11:17 pm

No answer? Blackmagic pls

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 6:23 pm

thegagne wrote:I have contacted support multiple times about this, but they say they have "no interaction with devs", only that this is a "known problem" and they are "working on it," but "don't expect it soon."

Interesting. It was a problem, a while ago but was fixed through a software update. Have you made sure you are running the updated drivers? Also feel free to PM me with the agent you talked to (I'd like to know who said this as it's not entirely accurate).

Other than that, what is your source? HDMI, SDI? These will have audio embedded and should never drift. For analog it requires that you are getting Video and Audio from teh same source or you may very well drift if, for example, the audio is coming from one device and the video is coming from another. There is no way for us at record time to tell if they are in sync, so care must be taken to make sure they are in sync before capture.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

thegagne

PostFri Sep 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Contacted via PM.

Will update drivers and try again. I had updated once in August but it wasn't fixed. We are using embedded audio over HD-SDI.

Will update this to let you know the status in a couple days.

thegagne

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Update:

I updated to the latest version (9.6.2) and it seems to have fixed it. I'll check with my editors, etc, and report back if I hear otherwise.

A couple of final thoughts:

1. The BMD support team needs better communication with devs to know when things will be fixed.
2. Fixes should be noted in the release notes (I think I read all of them and never saw this fixed in the notes).
3. It would be nice if customers could sign up for release notes, etc, to hit their email so they can track changes more easily.

lt1

PostWed Nov 07, 2012 2:04 pm

Hello,
I have similar problems with the h264 pro recorder:
Hard- / Software Specs:
Desktop Video 9.6.7 for Windows
Win 7 64 Bit SP1
720*576p 25 over SDI/HD-SDI Interface.
I get massive sync problems when i capture material over 1,5 hours.

I did some tests with different quality settings for the mp4:
I first captured 4 hours mp4 material with quality set to 1MB/s --> the delay at the end of the take is approx. 2 to 3 sec
Second test: 4 hours mp4 material with quality set to 2MB/s --> the delay at the end of the take is approx. 1sec
When I open these two mp4 file with avidemux and check the properties i get Frame Rate 24.992 fps for the first mp4 and 24.998 fps for the second mp4. This is strange because they both should be a 25 fps.
The intensity of the delay seems to be connected with the quality setting. I´ll do a test with quality set to 4 MB/s and post the outcome.

In the preferences I discovered the possibility to check "Use dropped frame timecode".
For what I have heard this feature is only for NTSC and not for PAL (25fps).
When trying to use "Use dropped frame timecode" the feature is always unchecked if I come back to the preference menue again.

Any hints to solve the problem?
All best

thegagne

PostThu Nov 08, 2012 10:42 pm

I just ran into the problem again when I upgraded to 9.6.6, so I downgraded back to 9.6.4 and it's working ok again... I'm on a Mac Mini though so it may work differently.

Good luck!

lt1 wrote:Hello,
I have similar problems with the h264 pro recorder:
Hard- / Software Specs:
Desktop Video 9.6.7 for Windows
Win 7 64 Bit SP1
720*576p 25 over SDI/HD-SDI Interface.
I get massive sync problems when i capture material over 1,5 hours.

I did some tests with different quality settings for the mp4:
I first captured 4 hours mp4 material with quality set to 1MB/s --> the delay at the end of the take is approx. 2 to 3 sec
Second test: 4 hours mp4 material with quality set to 2MB/s --> the delay at the end of the take is approx. 1sec
When I open these two mp4 file with avidemux and check the properties i get Frame Rate 24.992 fps for the first mp4 and 24.998 fps for the second mp4. This is strange because they both should be a 25 fps.
The intensity of the delay seems to be connected with the quality setting. I´ll do a test with quality set to 4 MB/s and post the outcome.

In the preferences I discovered the possibility to check "Use dropped frame timecode".
For what I have heard this feature is only for NTSC and not for PAL (25fps).
When trying to use "Use dropped frame timecode" the feature is always unchecked if I come back to the preference menue again.

Any hints to solve the problem?
All best

JamesVibe

H264. Pro Recorder - OUT OF SYNC!!!!

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 12:36 am

Trying to wrap my head around this one.

New H.264 pro recorder. (have worked with old one many times, never an issue).
Live music concert - ALL THE FILES OUT OF SYNC! Its synced in the very beginning - by the end of show 1 hour later - completely out of sync.

My first thought is NDF vs DF. Checked in the preferences - "use drop frames" was UNCHECKED. So should not be recording drop frame timecode. All cameras are NDF. KiPro recorders are NDF too.

This is the signal path

Camera's to video switch-->out of switch to KiPro where SDI video& XLR audio are married--> Spilt out of Kipro to BM UltraStudio 3D (which goes to streaming computer) 2nd split out of KiPro goes to H264 recorder. The Linecut is in sync, the Streaming computer which is receiving the signal from BM Ultra Studio 3D is in sync, THE h.264 prorecorder - when concert was finished and played back -TOTALLY OUT. Again, i made sure Im not using drop frames.

If the linecut and the stream are in sync....and the H.264 is on the same line it should be in sync too. I've used this set up before, with a different H.264 Pro Recorder and a different mac OS running Lion and had great success. Now complete disaster using new H264, on a new mac running Mountain Lion.

Any help or clues would be greatly appreciated. Maybe i have a bad unit, or is this a Mountain Lion problem? It just doesnt make sense.

"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi -you are my only hope" :cry:

lt1

PostMon Nov 12, 2012 9:13 am

If sound and video produced by the h264 pro recorder is async the product can not be used in a professional surrouding. Even if it is perhaps possible to solve the problem with a downgrade of the Desktop Video software (thx thegagne).
Concerning release notes of the SW: It is important for the customer to know if an upgrade of the desktop video software includes a firmware update for the h264 prorecorder! :x
It it strange that an issue already solved with an older software (9.6.4) reoccurs with newer sw versions. :cry:
The audio sync issue seems to be connected with framedrops. A possible solution could be to reinsert the last "good" frame if framedrop is detected to have the regular outcome of 25 fps.

I hope that the blackmagic design support sheds some light upon this topic!

Simon Bachofen

Re: H264. Pro Recorder - OUT OF SYNC!!!!

PostTue Nov 13, 2012 8:28 am

I exactly had the same issue a week ago. The H264 worked always great but this last time the video was out of synch (also UNCHECKED "use drop frames".

Was a really strange thing, had to correct the whole video for hours until it was synch again. Also had a few video glitches.

Did you use the the macBook retina? That was what I did. Befor I used the recorder with a few other older MacBooks and it always worked great...

lt1

PostWed Nov 14, 2012 1:18 pm

any help from the support team?

JamesVibe

PostThu Nov 15, 2012 5:18 am

Glad to know i'm not the only one.....but then again - that sucks cause something is up. Trying to reach BM technical support and was told i would be ON HOLD FOR 45min. WTF!! BM people?

So again, please anyone chirp in if they have similar problems. Is this a mac mountain lion issue???

I have a new:
MacBook Pro 2.6ghz Intel Core i7 (NOT RETINA)
Mac OSX 10.8.2
8gigs of RAM
7200RPM drive.

I've now how the same problem on 2 separate jobs. @Cmon - were you using a KiPro inbetween? Just wondering if that had anything to do with it. Before I had an older macbook pro, running Lion 10.7.3 and never ever had an issue. Now have a new ProRes Recorder on a new macbook pro and hasn't worked right out to the box..... very disappointed and its now costing me $$$$$$ !!!!

Please respond BM people. We need to figure this out!!! I think you are a great company, but having only 2 tech's in house to respond to problems is not good

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Nov 17, 2012 1:05 am

Hi James,

Sorry for the issues you're having. Would you be able to provide me with the name of the rep you spoke to regarding your issue? Also, if you could PM me the phone number and email address you provided when speaking with that representative, I'd like to track back the case notes so I can get as many details as possible on things.

Regarding dropped frame timecode, this shouldn't have any bearing on sync, but if your source was dropped frame you would want to have this box checked. If everything in your chain is NDF, unchecking that box would be appropriate.

I don't see any reports of Mountain Lion causing issues with the H.264 Pro Recorder, but I can get a test set up to confirm.

If you are concerned about the KiPro combination with the Pro Recorder being an issue, can you run a test from another source to verify the issue follows?

Also, you mention that your previous H.264 Pro Recorder does not exhibit this issue. Would you be able to replace this Pro Recorder with your other one to verify if the issue is alleviated?
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

lt1

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 1:16 pm

push.

JamesVibe

PostMon Nov 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Hello Sarah

Sorry for my delayed response. Still need to talk to a tech but this is what I found out thus far

It does NOT appear to be the H264 box..... but rather the version of "Blackmagic Media Express.

I used my BM h264 encoder on 2 seperate mac laptops. One running Mac OSX10.7 and one running Mac OSX10.8.2. Both of them had version 3.2 of BM Media Express. Both times - completely out of sync! rrrrrrrr!

I then swapped with a friend (Joe) his BM h264encoder. "Joe's" BM H264 on my laptops ALSO was completely out of sync. BUT - when Joe took my H264 encoder to his computer, running MacOSx10.6.8 and version 3.0 of BM Media Express everything worked fine. No sync issues what-so-ever. So, its not the box but version 3.2 of BM Media Express that seems to be causing the sync issues. Going to look if I can download 3.0 of BM Media Xpress. If i can, if it will work on Mac OSX10.8.2, I will report back with results.

BTW, the office i called was in California.... I don't remember the time/date

James

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 27, 2012 2:46 am

Hi James,

The Media Express version could potentially be a problem, but the Desktop Video driver version could also be involved (different versions of the driver contain different versions of Media Express. I've run some tests on a Mac Pro running OS X 10.7.5 and Media Express 3.2. I tested this version of Media Express in both Desktop Video 9.6.6 and 9.6.8 (the current version).

What I found was that in the 9.6.6 driver, my audio and video stayed in sync after an hour of recording. I then went to the 9.6.8 driver and found that after an hour of recording, my audio was out of sync by maybe 2-3 frames. I've logged this as an issue to be investigated.

In your case, you might simply put Joe's version of Media Express on a thumb drive and copy it over to your desktop. You should be able to open that with the current driver on both your machines. But it's normally not recommended running a version of Media Express from a different driver build as it may not perform very well either.

I also worry about rolling your driver back to the version that contained Media Express 3.0 because it may potentially not work on OS X 10.8. You can, however, roll back to something like Desktop Video 9.6.6 or around there as this uses an older Media Express than 3.2 (I believe it's 3.1.2).

If you do have some other results to share, I'd be interested to hear them.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Roy-nzsm

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 12:26 am

I have had this problem with the H264 recorder as well, I'm using an older release of the software as the computer is on snow leopard. the sync issue does not show up until I transcode the files to another format.

If I choose an audio passthrough option for the transcode there is no immediate problem until I want to do something else.

I imported the worst example of one of these recordings into a protools session, and noticed that the audio stopped about a second before the video did, this was with a 55 minute recording. And, PT played the movie ok from the beginning, but the loss of sync near the end was totally unacceptable.

I worked out the number of missing audio samples to the end of the video, and calculated that the sample rate was really something like 47965.

The next step was to hack the audio sample rate of the imported audio to this figure using Soundhack (mac freeware), then reimport it into the PT session with the tweakhead SRC option. Result was perfect sync at the end.

I have been using this recorder fairly solidly for a 3 week period to record student classical performance recitals, and the results have been generally very good with a couple of exceptions, which i have only just discovered.

Another example was only 1 frame out after 25 min, so the the errors were not consistent, they were loosely time related though.

I'm beginning to think ambient temperature may have some bearing on all of this, the unit gets quite warm anyway, and there were a few hotter daytime tempertures during this period.

So next time I have to use it in this manner I will place it on a large heatsink surface and see if that improves things.

Roy
Last edited by Roy-nzsm on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roy-nzsm

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 1:18 am

forgot to explain my setup: analog audio from console into line inputs of sony NX5P, then HD-SDI output into recorder.

Also, the larger files can be cut into smaller clips with QTpro, or other editors like simplemovieX or mpegstreamclip, and they will all start in perfect sync and end up with reduced sync errors.

Roy

Jeff C

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Experienced the same problem.. Rolled back to Media Express version 3.1.2 and the sync problem went away. Everything is working great and keeping sync for over an hour and half of program.

JamesVibe

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 1:00 am

Yep - thats it. I just installed Blackmagic Media Express 3.1.2 and all seems to be working now.
I tried desktop video 9.6.6 first, but that just keeps MediaExpress3.2 on. So have to use Desktop Video 9.6.4 which has the BM Express 3.1.2

Once again my specs:

Mac OSX 10.8.2
2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

If you are having sync problems - goto Support > Download Desktop Video 9.6.4 > when you go to install it make sure you click first "uninstall desktop video" to remove drivers. Once it removes it - install. Mine worked right away. I ran a test for 15min and at the end performed a perfect sync with clap tests.

BM MediaExpress 3.2 seems buggy. I was going out of sync within 2min

Liam Kennedy

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 2:15 am

Is this changed at all with the Media Express installed as part of the new 3.4 version of the firmware for the ATEM TVS? Or is Media Express still the same? (I don't record H.264 using my TVS... but I might need to in the future). I'll give it a try next week sometime... but I would be curious to know if any TVS users have tried to capture to H.264 and what their results were.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

JamesVibe

PostSun Dec 02, 2012 2:32 pm

I don't know about the ATEM. Another update: I ran the H264 encoder for over 1hour and no issues what-so-ever. Clap test at the end of 1hour and all was good.

HOWEVER - I also use, at different times, the Ultra Studio 3D mostly for streaming on Livestream. Now, Livestream is not the issue.... I thought i would try capturing from the UltraStudio3D via Media Express v3.1.2 Now this is Uncompressed 720 8bit video....which i never do, and i know its alot of info for any computer to handle It worked for 15min, then suddenly stopped with a missed frame was detected error. (thats because i had "stop capture if missed frame" on) . Turned that off - I ran it for 35min. Everything was fine until the last 5min of video where it totallly lost sync... it was crazy off. But only at the end and the video kinda went in slow motion too. I checked the mac inspector - and it said the movie was 202gigs (wow!) AND the FPS = 57.07. The other movie was 59.94 as it should be and so are all the H264 mp4's.

How and why did it revert to 57.07 FPS? Does this happen often when capturing uncompressed?

Can't stop thinking that somehow Mac OS Mountain Lion is somehow to blame for this. But can't prove it. BM is not the only software that is having issues with it. Any insight anybody?

bructonyxip

H264. Pro Recorder connection for streaming

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 10:54 pm

can someone please tell me how am supposed to connect my Panasonic AG-HMX100 Video Switcher and my H.264 Recorder for streaming?...

Tony.

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Dec 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Umm... SDI?

Oh... and the H.264 DOESN'T stream. Where did you hear that it does?

However there are a number of ways you can stream the output from the Pro Recorder. It depends on several factors.

Tell us a little more about HOW you want to stream (what platform you will be using - PC or MAC) and what you will be streaming to.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Örjan Wallén

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 6:03 pm

It streams using MXlight software. This is so far the only way.
...but back to topic....
Did a production 2 days ago and had updated my laptop and firmwares with the latest ATEM software (3.5) and the latest Desktop Video (9.7).
I recorded from the TVS using the ATEM Switcher software and the result was horrible.
The audio was constant but the video glitched and pixelated every 10-15 seconds and everytime the audio sync drifted more and more apart.
So be warned when updating to new firmwares and softwares. They have shown several times to introduce new bugs!

Mike Squires

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 1:37 am

I do think something is up with Desktop Video 9.7.

Was capturing a 30 minute video with my Intensity Shuttle, and everything looked normal. But the audio dropped a good 20dB about 10 minutes in. I had to re-capture the video, and all was well then. Never had this problem in the past.

marchd

PostFri Mar 08, 2013 10:09 pm

I too have been experiencing major audio sync issues using this product - this has rendered the product useless. Has a fix been issued - or can someone please tell me what I need to do to fix the issue (without downgrading the software)?

JohnRobins

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 7:56 am

Here are my findings having got caught out very badly on a live event where we were the only team recording the sessions. It took hours to piece it all together.

Win 7 - various computers and configurations. All configurations experienced exactly the same issues:

1 - Media express 3.2 gave audio sync problems on any recording over a couple of minutes together with occasional digital artifacting/corruption of a few frames. Every sessions we recorded (12 x 30 minute presentations - Grrrrrrr) had time sync issues - the video was longer than the audio by 18 seconds, the audio being perfect.

When loaded into Premier CS6 - the file info said that the frame rate was 24.74 frames per second. After much trial and error I found the best way was to unlink the audio and video and speed up the video timeline until both the front part and the end part of the films had lip sync and then the bits in the middle were more or less on, bar one film which had to be chopped to pieces!

2 - Day 2 - I read this post and decided to Uninstall Video for Windows 9.7 and Install version 9.4 - This essentially solved the problem and the video recorded correctly at 25 frames per second and sync was perfect. 24 presentations on day 2 and 24 presentations on day 3 all 30+ mins long were fine.

Based on my experience Media Express 3.2 is Baaaaaaad and should be taken out of service immediately.

Even with 3.1.2 every now and again a file, even though recorded at 25 frames, would register in Premier CS6 as being 24.99990 frames per second. Using the modify/interpret footage function to set at 25 frames then all would be fine.

I hope this helps someone not have to go through what I did.

Blackmagic people - I am very disappointed, I have quite a few of your products and generally I am happy with their performance. They do have a tendency to feel a little unstable/temperamental, but the h.264 Pro Recorder with Media Express 3.2 is too unusable for a professional environment based on my experience. Please, Please can you release a fully tested update - 3.3 - I am happy to test it if it helps. - JR

CrapaL

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi !
Well, I have just bought the H264 pro recorder and tested to record a first movie on a MacBook Air (2012).
What a deception to see how desynchronized is the sound with the video !
I feel somehow better when looking at this topic on the forum and realizing I am not the only one.
But what a shame and a deception to have bought a 500€ device and not being able to use it because of the sync issue....

So, I hope BlackMagic will issue a updated version of the software and drivers quite soon.

Does anyone could help me with some hints where to find a older version of BlackMagic Media Express that seems to solve the issue ?

Örjan Wallén

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Go to support page, look up your device and click on the link for archived drivers to the right of the link for Desktop Video.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

CrapaL

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Great, thanks !

Calit2

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Hello,
I work at a university that purchased two Blackmagic H.264 encoding boxes to record lectures/talks that can be uploaded to YouTube in HD quality. We have used the hardware extensively with all kinds of cameras and while the software is pretty awful, it does generally function.

However, we are now having the same problem as everyone else here... our video and audio output are not synced. We record hour long talks and by the end the audio is totally out of sync. Looking at the frame rates of the files produced, the video frame rates don't seem to be a consistent 29.97 as they are supposed to.

As a fix we have tried interpreting the frame rate of the footage, changing the speed of the video portion, cutting to sync, etc. Its very annoying and one fix doesn't work for all the files produced!!!!

I really hope Blackmagic takes this issue seriously. Judging by other peoples response here it seems to be an issue with software/driver updates.

Please fix the problem!!!! and tell me how I can fix my broken footage.

Not impressed...

alraz

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 am

I had a similar problem with an Intensity Shuttle for USB3.0

When recording very long videos, the audio would start to get out of sync.

They way I fixed it was by disabling "C1E support" on the bios setup of my motherboard.
I also told the guys at blackmagic support explaining them the problem and how I managed to fix it, but looks like they forgot already :D

Hope this helps with H.264 recorder too.

CandiceR

PostTue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 pm

alraz wrote:I had a similar problem with an Intensity Shuttle for USB3.0

When recording very long videos, the audio would start to get out of sync.

They way I fixed it was by disabling "C1E support" on the bios setup of my motherboard.
I also told the guys at blackmagic support explaining them the problem and how I managed to fix it, but looks like they forgot already :D

Hope this helps with H.264 recorder too.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish the same thing on a Mac OS 10.8.2? Thanks!

Terry Crist

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 9:37 pm

On a Mac you can roll back to drivers 9.5.3 and it should stay in sync. BMD really needs to patch this soon. though.

hauke11

PostTue Apr 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Do you de-install the driver you are using right now before you install the "other"/older one?

I ty to copy VHS-tapes from a Pro-Player to my MacbookPro 2011 using the H.264 and I too have the sync-problem. I treid to use an older driver but did not have success. Problem is still there. So do I have to de-install all software etc., restart the Mac and then install a different driver?

Thank you for any help... this really makes me angry. I used to use a Canopus AVDC-300, but that produces very large files in DV-format.

kengeary

PostThu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm

All,
I had same issues on Mac version of latest software. BM support did get back to me (thanks guys!) and said V 7.5.3 (Mac only, not sure what's "good" for Win 7) will work.

I just did 1/2 hr capture of a presenter and lip sync right on the money!

to Blackmagic dev team: PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE on latest and future drivers AND TEST YOUR DRIVERS BEFORE RELEASING! this is video 101 folks.

Ken

hauke11

PostThu May 02, 2013 6:47 pm

That sounds great... but where can I et 7.5.3? Can you please give me a link? Thank you!!! I only find newer versions, that oldest being 8.2.

Jgg

PostSun May 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Audio and video sync issues with the H.264, ATEM Production Switcher, and Media Express newest software updates effectively shut down our church's posting of messages to our website. Followed many suggestions here to no avail. Multiple calls to support did not yield any relief. We ended up having to run the ATEM Switcher on one computer and the 9.5.3. version of Desktop Video on a completely separate computer to get things to "play nice" together. This allowed us to have perfectly sync'ed video/audio upon playback. However, we don't have room in our switching area for the additional computer that this approach is requiring.

Everything worked fine with no sync issues before we "upgraded" to the newest software releases. Rolling back never fixed the problem.

BMD, please get a patch out quickly to end this problem for us!

Thanks

mattmills

PostTue May 21, 2013 10:28 am

Hi,

Just want to say thanks to everyone posting... Also having the same problem with a Mac Pro running the latest drivers. Do they not test them before releasing? Will now go and roll em back.. so frustrating that we found out during playback to an audience. :( Sometimes we have fixed live playback sync issues before by introducing some delay on a digital desk to bring it back in sync, all be it for a while...

We are also church and rely on the H264 box to turn videos around really quickly for events using the recorded media later the same day. 1st time this Sunday it went out of sync mid way through.

Thanks for contributing... :)

Matt

quentro

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 9:08 am

Same problem here: after one hour of recording, Audio and video sync issues are massiv. How do I get version 7.5.3? As others said:

BMD, please get a patch out quickly to end this problem for us!

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Oct 03, 2013 10:10 am

No theme is more disussed, as the ATEM / ProRecorder audio sync issuses. I aggree, it's time for a working software upgrade solving this problem.

BM creates a lot of very good products, but they should care about known issues before announcing new products ! (Before potential buyers went over to other manufactors)
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

TTSENT

PostThu Mar 27, 2014 2:09 am

Does anyone know if you can record video from a video camera (Cannon XA10) to a computer (IMac) and then save the captured video to a folder on the desktop?
I was told Black Magic was the solution. Purchased the Intensity Extreme which created RAW video files via their capture software and third party software. File sizes are huge and Raw because that's for video editing not for capturing! Then I was told to that the H.264 Pro Recorder would work keeping the files compressed. Well now the video is super delayed...you move the camera a small amount in any direction and it and 10-15 seconds to reflect the area you are capturing. I'm guessing now I will be to buy a computer with a faster read write rate. Who knows?? Out more money and time and the worst part of it all is the money we could be raising to help aspiring students with their school expenses. Have been working on the development if this project and this has been our hold up for to long now. Wish someone would take interest before we have to tell these young men and women we are unable to help them as a result of not being able to resolve this problem. Numerous calls have been placed to BlackMagic, Apple, local media reps, and the only advise we have received is to ditch the project. Sounds like you are trying to put together Legos and Lincoln logs. Funny when you give specific details about equipment you have or ask what equipment will work, your told I everything will work. Seeming like all people care about is a sale and not the customers needs. Unfortunately lots of people in this case are being affected.
If you have taken the time to read this far, you understand our frustration. Any help is appreciated. We will even fly with our equipment to your location. Thank you.

Roy-nzsm

PostTue Jun 17, 2014 11:26 pm

I have just revisited some of the files I had sync problems with - I found that if I disabled the timecode track in quicktime pro the movie length changed by several frames, 7 frames for a 20 minute clip.

so I deleted the timecode track and copied the movie to another format, no more problem with sync.

so I have batch converted all my old H264ProRecorder files removing timecode altogether.
I can recommend the QT edit utility which is part of Pro media tools from Digital Rebellion for this.

so my question now is how can I use this device without embedding a flaky timecode track? (which in my useage was always referenced to the start of the clip, not external sources, so therefore redundant.)

Roy

Tom_Bassford

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 9:23 am

This issue has been widely reported both with the h264 pro recorder and the ATEM TVS. It's a little surprising to hear Blackmagic reps saying they haven't heard of it before!?

AFAIK it's a problem with media express / the built in capture in the Atem software. 3rd party solutions such as MXLight are able to record with good sync (as I understand it MXLight records in sync even if you are running a dodgy version of the drivers which cause the BMD softwares to lose sync)

I wouldn't recommend anyone uses media express for anything, it's a terrible bit of software!

Cheers
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

MambaFiber.com

Re: H264. Pro Recorder - OUT OF SYNC!!!!this was

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 1:16 pm

This was fixed some time ago. I have been using my pro recorder through media express with perfect lip sync for nearly a year now. On a Mac even! Try updating to the latest software version....
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Tom_Bassford

PostWed Jun 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if they published a ChangeLog with each and every update listing the issues which have been addressed?

This would not only enable users to know what an update was supposed to do and if it had any relevance to them, it would also help blackmagic's technical support team who'd be able to look at change logs to see if there were fixes to bugs which people were suffering from.

cheers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Jozsef Kurucity

PostWed May 25, 2016 7:55 am

Same problem with audio out of sync and h.264 pro recorder. I use Desktop Video 10.6.6 on Windows 10. Anybody knows how do I fix this please?
Thank you.
Available for freelance jobs

Ole Anderson

PostSat May 28, 2016 4:00 am

We use the h.264 Pro Recorder in conjunction with Livestream Producer. Interesting that the stream viewed live or from the Livestream archive is in sync, but the file it dumps on the hard drive is out of sync by 270 ms, which we correct in post. Media express cannot be run at the same time as Livestream Producer, so we haven't used it to record.
Now you tell me!

Ole Anderson

Colin Barrett

PostSun May 29, 2016 8:41 am

I often take an SDI output from a Teranex 2D into the H.264 Pro Recorder in order to capture video recordings up to 3 hours in duration, and I've never had the sync-loss problem in over 2 years. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've also found that if I give it a sync input then a sync file always comes out the other end.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.
Next

Return to Live Production