Google Hangouts (latest update) no longer supports Decklink

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Liam Kennedy

Google Hangouts (latest update) no longer supports Decklink

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 7:43 am

So.. I definitely mostly have a hate/hate relationship with Google Hangouts... as things just get changed and you have no choice in the matter.. often breaking things or changing things that used to work.

I happen to produce a number of google hangouts on air for clients - where I have been successfully using my ATEM switcher to make the whole experience more professional (pulling in multiple inputs / playout video/graphics etc).

Up until now my Intensity Pro card was supported as "the webcam". I have both Blackmagic WDM Capture and Decklink Video Capture as options (oddly I now have Decklink Video Capture (2) also). Nothing works.

My source works perfectly in Media Express - and in Wirecast.

My workaround is to use Wirecast's Virtual Camera feature... as that is also an option within the Hangout webcam selection.

However.. this now adds additional complexity (and an additional video lag due to the Wirecast routing).

The reason for the post is to ask if anyone else has found the same issue?

Does your Intensity Pro (or any Blackmagic capture device) work with the newest G+ Hangout On Air app? (Just try launching G+ Hangout - if you have any Blackmagic Device in your system and see if it allows you to select/view the input)
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Kieren Wuest

Re: Google Hangouts (latest update) no longer supports Deckl

PostThu Aug 21, 2014 4:19 am

Google is constantly making changes and breaking their products in one way or another. Different stories.

I Just got a Decklink Mini Recorder and use it to stream video through Skype. Skype happens to have all the options to accept a video stream and handle it. Google Hangout does not work, just a black screen. The UI has no decent options or more importantly any indication, info or anything that someone can try and solve the problem. Terrible software design, change implementation and communication as far as user experience goes.

Knut Bussian

PostSat Oct 11, 2014 10:14 am

Hi Liam,

I just streamed to a hangout using a Decklink SDI card (an Intensity Pro is working as well) BUT there are a few problems:

I only get the hangout plug in to recognize the Decklink WDM driver. That's okay, but it also only recognizes 1080(50i). When I try sending a 1080p (25p) signal, the screen stays dark. I didn't try any other progressive frame rates.

Also the embedded audio is not recognized. I have to disembed the audio to analog and use the line in of the PC.

Setup:
HPZ420 - Win7 64bit
Decklink SDI
Decklink Video 9.9.6.

Anybody else?

Knut

johnmilanoski

PostWed Oct 15, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Liam,
I've been having the same issue. I can get the imgage in express but just black in google hangout. I had this working great in the past. I had the GH3 and now how the GH4 and its not working for me. I've tried 3 different browsers. tried 24p, 29.97 too. Yes, each time I made sure express was able to capture. I tried the check box in the settings for 1080PsF. None of the changes I've made work in Google hangouts. all my web cams etc pick up just fine in Google HOA.

Have you tried an earlier driver?

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Oct 15, 2014 4:33 pm

As I'm using this with my ATEM I have limited options to roll back to older drivers as Desktop Video is rolled in to the ATEM software install. I am still using the 4.1 version of the ATEM (not 6.2) as my gear is working great for me in all other resepects.

The workaround I continue to use is Wirecast - and it's virtual camera feature. I believe you can install Wirecast for Youtube (free) and do the same.

MichaelTucker

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 4:43 am

Liam, I suggest that you shoot a message through to Chee Chew or one of the hangouts team and ask them if they know of any changes or work-arounds.
The other method is to run a YouTube live event and bring the hangout in as a source.

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Oct 20, 2014 11:26 pm

I've had a post on the hangout support forum for a while. I'll see if I can get this "chee chew" to help out.

And... I've already got a workaround using Wirecast virtual camera - so YouTube live is not something that will provide any additional fix beyond that (I don't think). I'm trying to understand how bringing in "the hangout" in to a YouTube live event will help anyway?

However... The problem may in fact be because i am running an older versio of desktop video as I am still running ATEM 4.2 software (not had a desire to upgrade to 6.2 as everything beyond this issue is working).

Tom Scott

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Did anyone ever get this to work?

I just got a H.264 and I'm testing it all out..

I setup a Youtube Live event and I'm trying to view video.. The device in the youtube live event shows "Decklink Video Capture" but I get no video..

When I use BlackMagic Media Express I'm able to view my video so I know the devices are working.. Just not sure what to do to get it to work with youtube..

Thanks

Raechel Kula

PostTue Jun 16, 2015 4:46 pm

I am also interested to know if this was ever resolved.

I have an Intensity Shuttle USB. I've got the video coming in from a GoPro Hero 4 Black (any of the 720p settings are working with Express) and it works as a webcam for Skype. G+ Hangouts sees all of the available Intensity Shuttle resolutions but doesn't display any of them.

I will try the workaround suggested above, but definitely interested to know if anything ever resulted from the Google source.

Thanks!

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Jun 16, 2015 11:45 pm

In my case it began working a few months ago. I cannot tell what changed to make it work - as Google Hangouts often changes things and there is no way to find out what.

I run my Intensity Pro (and all settings in the Blackmagic Control Panel) and ATEM in 1080i5994 mode.

So... bottom line... it's fixed for me.

However... if to the person with the H.264 Pro Recorder. It WONT EVER WORK.

Please do a search here for other posts about the H.264 Pro Recorder and you will see there is no driver that is compatible with the way all other blackmagic capture devices work.

Kieren Wuest

PostFri Jun 19, 2015 12:04 am

A couple months back I had Google hangouts working via BMD Decklink Mini Recorder.

I go through a multicam montior with SDI output which outputs 1080p25 or 1080i50psf (Odyssey7Q). I run a fs700 and BMPCC at 1080p25 in to the Odyssey. Of course I get perfect video signal in Media express.

I remember a couple months ago I had it working in google hangouts via canary and then after an update it worked in chrome vanilla.

I had a job last night doing a live cast for a client (which I had no time to test before they requested the cast) and none of it worked. No combination of settings browser versions video format worked.

Seriously cursing Google for screwing me on this. Thanks for killing my job and making me look incompetent. I wish I could sue them or something.

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Ahh... I feel your pain.

I have a backup that always worked for me (when it stopped working directly in Hangouts using the default Blackmagic Drivers). I have Wirecast - and that has something called "Virtual Camera Out". So If I setup wirecast to source the video from my Intensity Pro - then enable Virtual Camera Out - I could see it in the Hangout OK. You may also be able to use some free or lower cost thing like "ManyCam" or XSplit to do the same.

Kieren Wuest

PostFri Jun 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks for your advise Liam,

I ended up broadcasting with a single cheap usb webcam (which looked horrible compared to the 2 cam prime lens switching combo I had setup in place)

I will check out those apps you mention. Great of you to share some knowledge thank you.

Return to Live Production