h.264 Pro Recorder delay and settings

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ole Anderson

h.264 Pro Recorder delay and settings

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 5:32 pm

I am running an NTSC SD analog video with analog audio into the Pro Recorder. The preview after processing in the Pro Recorder, either with the Livestream viewer, or with the Media Express viewer, seems to be about a full two seconds of delay. Is that normal? Audio and video sync fine with each other. I am running a new Dell XPS with a 7i chip, 8 MB ram and an Crucial SSD.

I see no reason to use Media Express to record as Livestream will record the MP4 stream and things get confused trying to have both programs recording at once. In Livestream I am choosing the 2632 kbps rate (high+medium+mobile). So I don't even bother to fire up Media Express. But in Media Express, you set the bitstream rate under preferences, which controls the pro Recorder, no?
Now you tell me!

Ole Anderson

Chad

Re: h.264 Pro Recorder delay and settings

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Yes, delay is pretty normal when compressing / processing video. It takes time to encode each frame into H.264 then send it over USB, then decode it into raw video again, and then re-encode it into 3 different H.264 streams at different bitrates. The users at the other end won't notice since the audio and video stay in sync.

As for Media Express, nothin you set in there will affect Livestream's process. Only the Blackmagic Control panel under system settings. I don't know for sure, but the Livestream software may be communicating with the encoder and telling it what bitrate to encode at based on the "high+medium+mobile" selection you chose.

Ole Anderson

PostWed Sep 10, 2014 5:57 pm

With a closer look, I am seeing about 300 ms audio out-of-sync. Someone suggested that I need to check the Pro Recorder firmware. When I look at details under properties, I see a version 1.8.0.0 dated 7/19/2012. Once a pop up suggested I need to update, but I haven't seen it again and I don't know how to force it to update. How do I do that?
Now you tell me!

Ole Anderson

Sam Jones

PostThu Sep 11, 2014 8:25 am

You need to download the latest software from the support page and then it should prompt you to update the software, it does not automatically search, you have to do it manually
    ATEM TVS
    ATEM Production Studio 4K
    Intensity Pro
    2 x Decklink 4K Extreme
    SDI to HDMI 4K converter
    Ultrastudio Express

Ole Anderson

PostSat Sep 13, 2014 4:39 pm

So I went to the H.264 Encoding support page and it lists the most recent software under Desktop Video as 10.2.1. Nothing specific for the Pro Recorder. So I run the software and it updates the Desktop package of programs, including Media Express. I check the properties of the pro Recorder again and it still says 1.8.0.0 dated 7/19/2012. And I am seeing that the version of Media Express is still 3.x.x where I read there is a 4.x.x version out there. Am I doing it wrong or are those the latest versions? Sorry for being such a newb.
Now you tell me!

Ole Anderson

Sam Jones

PostMon Sep 15, 2014 7:27 am

Uninstall Media Express that you have on your computer (the same problems happens to me sometimes). Then install the software to the computer and hopefully it should come up with an update for you
    ATEM TVS
    ATEM Production Studio 4K
    Intensity Pro
    2 x Decklink 4K Extreme
    SDI to HDMI 4K converter
    Ultrastudio Express

Brian Judge

PostFri Oct 10, 2014 9:42 pm

I had this problem and discovered that I had installed H.264 pro recorder and ATEM Switcher software at the same time! Same version of Media Express by both, but latency of 250m/s or so. Uninstalled both and then reloaded ATEM version only and it has been spot on ever since! A conflict some how but never install H.264 media express software with ATEM switcher software witch has both also! Mac Experience!

AdrianMadrid

PostSat Nov 29, 2014 8:38 am

I'm sorry but what does the ATEM SWITCHER do?? And if I don't have the media express installed how will I capture??

Linden deCarmo

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 3:33 am

We're tracing down latency and delays in our system. What we've discovered is that the H.264 Pro Recorder the audio is delayed between 100ms and 300ms when using both MXPTiny and MediaExpress. Is there any known solution/workaround to this drift?

We're on Desktop Video drivers 11.6. Oddly enough, setup doesn't show the H.264 Pro Recorder as a device but it is usable in both MXPTiny and MediaExpress.

Linden deCarmo

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 1:51 am

Unfortunately, BlackMagic say this is a legacy device which they don't test with current versions of Desktop Video Software. They say is should work but clearly there's a problem here and its been broken for a while. Oddly enough, support say one no has reported the audio latency issue even though there are multiple threads many years old on these forums about the audio delays/sync issues.

Return to Live Production