Atem 2 M/E Production Studio 4k - Talkback

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

David Fabri

Atem 2 M/E Production Studio 4k - Talkback

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 7:15 am

Hi can anyone explain to me how one would use the Talk Back connections on the 2 M/E 4K?

I can't find any documentation about it anywhere.

Thanks

Kay Junghanns

Re: Atem 2 M/E Production Studio 4k - Talkback

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 7:45 pm

I think it is only in combination with the fiber conection to the Studio camera or with the Studio converter.

videokadr

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 8:11 pm

You must used studio converter.
8 cameras OBVAN HD/4K, low prices, working EU area, videokadr@wp.pl
Jacek Niewadzi

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 8:32 pm

The talkback connections on the 2ME 4K switcher provide balanced analog audio in and out accessing SDI channels 15 and 16 for the purposes of communicating with Blackmagic Television Studio cameras when connected via bi directional SDI rather than using fiber and the Television Studio Converter. So if you are connecting our studio cameras with SDI in and out only, you may access the camera intercom with these connections. You can build your own interface to a microphone and headset or they may be connected to other intercom systems using a 2 wire to 4 wire interface. Only the ATEM 2ME 4K switcher has this capability. There is no direct connection between the balanced audio in and out with the Television Studio Converter. For all other switchers, it is recommended to connect the cameras via fiber using the Television Studio Converter.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:03 am

videokadr wrote:You must used studio converter.

Not true.

Sam Jones

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:05 am

Jonas Bengtson wrote:

Not true.

Care to elaborate?
    ATEM TVS
    ATEM Production Studio 4K
    Intensity Pro
    2 x Decklink 4K Extreme
    SDI to HDMI 4K converter
    Ultrastudio Express

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Aug 27, 2014 9:30 am

Sam Jones wrote:
Jonas Bengtson wrote:

Not true.

Care to elaborate?

Both blackmagic intercom systems is just an embedder/disembedder that uses channel 15/16 in the SDI pair, exactly as gary states. The 2M/E 4K has a separate intercom embedder/disembedder so in the case of the 4K you won't need the studio converter to embed the audio. The only thing you need is a 4W signal from your wired production intercom to send it over SDI to the studio cameras.

Therefore, saying that you need the Studio Converter to operate with the 2M/E 4K for intercom is simply not true, being that the 2M/E 4K already has a separate embedder on pair 15&16.

Tigran Seferian

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 12:45 pm

Gary Adams wrote:The talkback connections on the 2ME 4K switcher provide balanced analog audio in and out accessing SDI channels 15 and 16 for the purposes of communicating with Blackmagic Television Studio cameras when connected via bi directional SDI rather than using fiber and the Television Studio Converter. So if you are connecting our studio cameras with SDI in and out only, you may access the camera intercom with these connections. You can build your own interface to a microphone and headset or they may be connected to other intercom systems using a 2 wire to 4 wire interface. Only the ATEM 2ME 4K switcher has this capability. There is no direct connection between the balanced audio in and out with the Television Studio Converter. For all other switchers, it is recommended to connect the cameras via fiber using the Television Studio Converter.

Regards, Gary

I'm trying to use talkback function now.
My set up: 2 M/E 4K, Studio converter2, camera converter.
I connect via SDI out from studio converter to 2m/e and prog output from 2m/e to studio converter prog in. Connect studio and camera converters via optical cable. And use 2 cameras, one connected to camera con and one directly to 2m/e via SDI and go to PGM. Then to 2m/e talkback in connect microphone via audio mixer and to 2m/e talkback out connect audio monitor.

Now I'm hear voice in monitor form headset pluged to camera converter and hear voice in monitor from microphone connected to 2m/e. But can't hear this microphone in camera conv headset and in studio converter speaker(

What I'm do wrong?

More of that, I connect SDI to analog converter to 2m/e PGM out and I hear microphone both on 15 and 16 channels.

Thank for ideas, Tigran

Wilson Luniz

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 3:45 pm

if im correct, coax SDI is unidirectional(in 1 cable). For studio camera or converter, it has been implemented over fiber(as bidirectional audio). If talkback works on coax, audio from mixer may need another SDI link(I'm not sure this has been implemented or not).
Wilson Luniz
Generator Stage Production, Macau

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 4:53 pm

To simplify this, we have two methods for talkback with our Studio Camera. Method 1 works with all ATEM switchers and utilizes the Television Studio Converter connected to the Studio Cameras via bi-directional fiber. The Studio Converter connects any ATEM via SDI for Camera Inputs, and PGM SDI out back to the Studio Converter to complete the communication path. Method two works only if you have The ATEM 2ME 4K switcher. In this method, you may run two SDI cables to each of our Studio Cameras. One for Camera video out directly to the switcher, and the other is PGM out, possibly using an SDI DA to feed the return video input to each Camera. This will complete the circuit for all of our Studio Cameras. There is direct analog access to the talkback at the back of the 2ME 4K switcher for interface to other equipment. It is important to understand these two methods do not directly talk to each other so you would use either Method 1 or 2 but not mix them together. Both methods will allow the ATEM Tally and CCU control to function.

You may PM me if you have further questions.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Tigran Seferian

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Gary Adams wrote:To simplify this, we have two methods for talkback with our Studio Camera. Method 1 works with all ATEM switchers and utilizes the Television Studio Converter connected to the Studio Cameras via bi-directional fiber. The Studio Converter connects any ATEM via SDI for Camera Inputs, and PGM SDI out back to the Studio Converter to complete the communication path. Method two works only if you have The ATEM 2ME 4K switcher. In this method, you may run two SDI cables to each of our Studio Cameras. One for Camera video out directly to the switcher, and the other is PGM out, possibly using an SDI DA to feed the return video input to each Camera. This will complete the circuit for all of our Studio Cameras. There is direct analog access to the talkback at the back of the 2ME 4K switcher for interface to other equipment. It is important to understand these two methods do not directly talk to each other so you would use either Method 1 or 2 but not mix them together. Both methods will allow the ATEM Tally and CCU control to function.

You may PM me if you have further questions.

Regards, Gary

Gary, thanks for quick answer.

As I understand your words "There is direct analog access to the talkback at the back of the 2ME 4K switcher for interface to other equipment" work only for method 2. And I'm use method 1, and don't plan to mix them, because I don't have studio cameras. I want connect BM intercom to another one. So I think I should use some DA converters and connect to aes in/out on studio converters. But hope it will be interesting for BM to make in future updates.

In technical I think the problem is in studio converter that erase and then write new sound on 15-16 channels on PGM video that it send to camera converters. But I need to mix sound

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 5:47 pm

Hello Tigran. There are others on this forum that could provide help with the best equipment to use, but basically a 2 wire to 4 wire interface to another intercom would be used. Then the analog audio would be converted to AES digital audio connected via a transformer to the BNC connectors on the back of the Studio Converter. Both In and Out would be used.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

markjohnsonii

PostTue Aug 18, 2015 2:15 am

Gary,

How does talkback work for someone with the following setup:

1080p camcorder --SDI--> BMD Camera Converter --Fiber--> ATEM 2M/E

Since the 2M/E has Talkback capability, does that mean it will communicate back/fourth with the camera converters next to each camera/operator?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Hello Mark. Yes, your configuration is missing one piece. The Camera Converter is fiber but will not connect to the 2ME without the Studio Converter converting fiber to SDI. The Studio Converter will let cameras talk together. If you have the 2ME 4K model (different from the older 2ME), you could use a fiber to SDI converter for each camera, and the cameras would be able to talk to each other using the 2ME 4K internal talkback function. You would need to build your own base station since there is none in the 2ME 4K. But it could be done given the analog talkback in/out in the back.

If I am confusing anyone, please PM me if you like.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

uli peters

PostTue Aug 25, 2015 2:05 pm

...but only as long as you do not have a HyperDeck connected to the ATEM 2ME with both sides (input and output) for playback and record. This will immediately stop the talkback communication.

Thomas Chatelet

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi, everyone!
That's the topic I was looking for! :)

Here are the ingredients of a futur configuration :
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K
URSAs Mini Pro
An RTS wireless intercom base with a 4 wire in/output

If I recap what I just learnt, in the ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K :
- the Talkback input embed the incoming 4 wire signal in the PGM using the channels 15/16 ;
- the Talkback output provides a 4 wire signal, just disembedded from the channels 15/16 of each of its (camera) inputs.

So if I connect my RTS wireless intercom base with one of its 4 wire in/output directly to the Talkback in and output of the ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K, I will include all the URSAs Mini Pro of the setup (fed with a PGM signal, of course) in my wireless intercom network?

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Yes it would.. But still you would also need to have your producer on the line right? So is he wearing a wireless headset??
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Thomas Chatelet

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks for confirming it!
A very powerful (almost easter egg) feature!!!

Yes, in this configuration, everybody is wearing a wireless beltpack, except the camera operators.
That's far from ideal but with a two channels binaural wireless intercom system, we can make it work... With a bit of discipline! ;)

Return to Live Production