Feature Request: Mini Converters

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Daniel Perez

Feature Request: Mini Converters

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 4:01 am

Hello all,

I have been fighting with the HDMI > SDI mini converter for a while now and I have this issue is occasionally solved with a HDMI / DVI (pick your flavor) Detective loaded with the EDID from a device that is within the standard that is being used in the switcher, in my case 1080i 59.49

As far as I can tell, and would also assume, the EDID on the mini converter is set to accept the highest standard the mini converter can accept so whatever device you plug into it sends out whatever it's highest compatible standard is. The issue I run into is I plug in a device (ie. GoPro) and it assumes 1080p 60 which is useless to me as I run my ATEM 4k 2M/E in 1080i in order to be compatible with other broadcast equipment.

It seems like a simple enough firmware fix to implement on the mini converters to have multiple EDID's saved to the converter. I envision the fix either using a few of the unused DIP switches to directly select the desired EDID, or a single DIP switch set up like the scaling switch (DIP 1) on the "to SDI" converters to toggle through the embedded EDID's

If there is not enough memory to implement such a solution on board the mini converter it would be worth the extra effort to me to be able to pick from a library on my PC and upload a new EDID to the converter from the converter utility, even if that had to be done every time I wanted to use a different video standard.

Other than this issue, these have been solid products! I hope such an update can be implemented soon!

-Daniel

Chad

Re: Feature Request: Mini Converters

PostTue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 pm

+1

Forcing the HDMI to SDI mini converter to advertise a specific resolution to the HDMI source would solve numerous problems, including Mac's where OSX refuses to output 59.94 (50 and 60hz are the only drop down menu choices).

Geoff Butler

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 3:49 am

Daniel,

I made this same request via the support tab on the website. Maybe if enough of us pepper them they'll consider it.

It took some doing to get my GoPro Hero3 outputting 1080i. My Gefen HDMI Detective Plus doesn't have that as its max resolution on any of its built-in EDID profiles. I had trouble finding an HDMI destination device to program it with. Ironically, it ended up being my Hyperdeck Shuttle that gave me the EDID programming I needed... so we know that BMD knows how to do it!

Justin Edgerly

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 11:03 pm

+1

It only makes sense....

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Oct 04, 2014 2:52 pm

It's been suggested millions of times before. For mini converters and for the ATEM. the issue is that the preferred resolution of the EDID is not set to correctly match the current format (atem) or the desired operating format (miniconverters)

Nobody from blackmagic seems to understand the importance of this so I do not think it will ever become a function of their products. You can work around it with dvi detectives or you can buy converters from other manufacturers which work properly.

Cheers
Tom

Auto correct errors inserted by iPad using Tapatalk HD
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Geoff Butler

PostWed Oct 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:It's been suggested millions of times before. For mini converters and for the ATEM

Have you sent a note using the support tab on the website? I've always gotten very quick responses from their techs and promises to send these "feature requests" on to the appropriate product manager. I don't think they read these forums much.

micha.loeffler@gmail.com

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 10:47 am

+1

Professional surroundings need professional configuration options!
Converting signals leading to EDID issues are old as converters and extenders.

The way without this EDID option is always putting jet another device into the signal chain > not professional.

Return to Live Production