Blackmagic URSA Broadcast

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tom Joyce

Blackmagic URSA Broadcast

PostTue Nov 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi,
I am looking forward to the release of the URSA Broadcast late this year.
I have to make a decision between Studio Camera 4K models with Zeiss CZ.2 MFT motorized parfocal lenses and URSA Broadcast with ENG lenses.
I have a few questions:
1. Will URSA broadcast support CCU functionality similar to Studio Camera 4K (either internally or with the addition of ATEM Camera Converters (which I assume will be updated to 4K at some point?)?
2. If not - are there are any third party solutions that can be used to do remote paint on the cameras used for live music festival productions?
Thank you
Tom Joyce

Jonas Bengtson

Re: Blackmagic URSA Broadcast

PostWed Nov 05, 2014 10:35 am

I asked this in July something and the answer to the CCU question was no back then but it seems very strange so i believe they will implement it "sometime".

I mean if the hardware in the Studio Camera is capable, surely the URSA must be.

Tom Joyce

PostWed Nov 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Would anyone at Blackmagic be so kind to give us an idea if there are any plans for CCU control on URSA broadcast?
If there isn't I'll go the Studio Camera 4K route. Any info would be very helpful!
thank you
Tom

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 05, 2014 9:56 pm

I'm not ruling out the possibility of this being something the devs could implement later but I'm not aware of anything of this sort being worked on currently.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Well Tony i must say it's strange.
The URSA Broadcast is really the most interesting camera you've ever released if you add the CCU functions to it.

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Nov 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Put another way, the camera we all want is halfway between the URSA Broadcast and the Studio Camera HD.

It should have a compact body (smaller than the URSA but with a similar flip out screen (5" or 7" would be perfect) The screen should tilt in both directions, and fold away to make the camera less obvious when used as a lock off shot.
It should have a 2/3rd inch sensor(s) and B4 lens mount with lens power / remote socket.
It should have the connectivity of the Studio Camera (Comms, CCU, Tally, Iris Control, Genlock, Returns) With rugged fibre connections (Neutrik OpticalCon) + BNC copper connectivity.
It should be able to take external batteries (VLock) and be powered from a 12v XLR4 input too.
It should use a VCT-14 Tripod mount
It should take an (optional) monocular viewfinder and be ergonomically suitable for shoulder mounted use.
It should output 1080p, 1080i, 720p at both american and european frequencies.
Onboard recording is not required - though could be integrated via a camera mounted hyperdeck between the body and the battery.

It should cost less than $5000

I know a lot of people waiting with money to spend on this type of camera if you choose to produce it!

cheers
tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Aleksander Steffensen

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 10:28 am

What he said. ^
Steffensen Multimedia
http://www.stmm.no

Robert Betzner

PostSat Nov 08, 2014 1:46 pm

When will they ever learn...
when will they ever learn...

Cheers

Kevin_Magee

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 10:20 am

Pretty much what Tom said - except I am happy with the URSA size and shape - in the field the shape of the studio cameras would be too much for most clients.

I like the onboard recording as standard.

5 pin XLR for the talkback as well would be perfect.

Kevin

dpictMEDIA

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 1:47 pm

I agree with Tom - half of that list would be a winner - I'd buy 6 today
Aric Mackey

Xtreemtec

PostMon Dec 08, 2014 2:20 pm

Well at the IBC they told me it would be possible. Because the URSA has HD-SDI input.

All BMD cameras with HD-SDI input should technically be able to remote control from the ATEM.

Because the control data is auxiliary data on the HD-SDI signal feed back to the camera. With the Studio cam it signal is send back by the Fiber on the Prv video backlink (which also is in use for audio back to the camera for intercom)

So it should be a software update to implement those functions.

A big dislike is that the ursa does not come with a shoulderpad underneath it.. Missed opportunity.!!! You don't want the switch between V-Mount and shoulderpad all the time. You want a camera that when pulled of the tripod you can put instantly on your neck. Almost every broadcast camera does have that standard..

I hope they will update the fiber converts to 4K soon.. As the base station is already 4K. And with it put some connector on it to extend tally info instead of the led on the converter..

Hope they listen to input for once.. As it seams that BMD follows it's own path instead of looking and surveying what broadcast users need in the field..

I understand that every decision they take is based on production costs.. A onboard tally led is way cheaper then a 3,5mm mini jack for external tally. but for sure in (SEMI)/ PRO broadcasting these functions are a must.. Hope it helps..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

hatzenbach

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 10:38 am

Let's not forget what henry ford said.
"if I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they would have asked for a faster horse"

Now, sure BMD have come up with some flops, but I'm still excited to see what they come up with next.
Hatzen Bach. Now calling Australia home.

Return to Live Production