ATEM Television Studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Anže Zadravec

ATEM Television Studio

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Dear Blackmagic Design,

I am Anže Zadravec, 17 years old and I am from Slovenia, Europe. In elementary school I was excellent all nine years and I have signed into the golden book. During this years I, together with different classmates, made three research works. We received one bronze and one gold medal, achieved at national level. For this success I've won Zois scholarship, which is another success. Last two years I was again excellent, in the first and second of four years on Secondary electrotechnical-computing school in Ljubljana, there I am studying multimedia.

I have huge wish to buy your product ATEM Television Studio. Only problem for me is price and I want to know if it is possible to get any discount for students or anything else. I also wanted to tell you that price for ATEM Television Studio at your resellers in Slovenia is about 1400$ and this is totally different from price on your website. I am from Vrhnika, very small city (15.000 inhabitants) and there we love basketball and we have basketball club with all home players. I record all home matches with three camcorders and my wish is to stream them live on internet. I would also add graphic with score and commentators voice. There are a lot of web portals which are interested to embed it to their websites, so there would be a lot of viewers. I am always working for free and I love to do it, because I really feel good if I help someone. Please help me with my problem and make my longtime wish real, I can also add your ads to stream if you want. I really respect your company and products, but for my budget I can only watch them.

Please help me and answer, because I didn't get answer to email.

Yours faithfully,
Anže Zadravec
Multimedia student at the University of Ljubljana

Thomas Seewald

Re: ATEM Television Studio

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Hello Anže,

dont forget to add TAX to the price .... $995 + 19% TAX (for example in Germany) gives a total price of round about $ 1400,-.

When reading your post my first idea was, to buy in another country. Slovenia is member of the EU. So I should be no problem with customs, shipping from one EU country to another (but please inform yourself). Paying should also no problem, beause of SWIFT and IBAN.

In Germany you can buy a TVS at a price of € 730,- without TAX / € 870,- including TAX. I think, shipping can't cost more than € 50,- or €100,-.

But I don't know, what about the warranty....

So a price of less than € 1000,- should be possible. But this is also $ 1300,- :-(

So the only way may be a "sponsored" TVS.

P.S. When you found a cheep and easy to use way to insert lower thirds and scores, please tell me the solution. Do you have experience in using Caspar CG ?
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Anže Zadravec

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi Thomas,

I was also calculating a little. Price in USA is 995$ without tax and if we add tax for Slovenia, which is 20% it is then about 1194$. There are three Blackmagic design resellers in Slovenia and their prices are: 1355$, 1471$ and third reseller is so irresponsible that they don't answer to any emails and they don't even have Blackmagic design products on their website. So this is much more than 995$, but I know that this resellers get products for lower price and they have also there some revenue, but they also get additional revenue with difference in price which is higher than retail price+our tax.

I also want to give you one example from company Sigma (photo lenses, cameras...). They have special students price list and for example 10mm fisheye lens has retail price 1000$, but price for students is 584$. This is more than 40% lower price and it can make the most of students creativity and budget.

I think that Blackmagic design's mission should be to maintain same retail prices over the world. I hope that they will be able to help me. Now I am young and I want to buy their product for lower price, but maybe once I will be true professional and I will buy a lot of their hardware, then they will get much more revenue from me.

P.S: I didn't use Caspar CG yet, but thanks for info. I will check it and I am also going to check some other software, when I will have some experiences I will let you know.

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Dec 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Anže. I commend your commitment to getting the ATEM TVS gear at a price you can afford. That may or may not be possible for a company like Black Magic to do.

You mention that you do the video production for free. That means there are people who are viewing your work - and benefiting from that - and probably getting great enjoyment from what you do.

So I would recommend you look for sponsorship / donations from your own community to help pay for the gear you will be using.

You can do this!
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Thomas Seewald

PostTue Dec 04, 2012 7:55 am

P.S: I didn't use Caspar CG yet, but thanks for info. I will check it and I am also going to check some other software, when I will have some experiences I will let you know.

Thank you.

o I would recommend you look for sponsorship / donations from your own community to help pay for the gear you will be using.

I think, this is a good idea. You can't get any money from the peole, watching the matches. But maybe you can the companies who advertise on the sidelines, ask for sponsoring. Maybe you can offer little commercials in your broadcast. What about the club ? Can you ask them for financial support ?

Anže Zadravec

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Thank you for your answers and support, Liam and Thomas!

I also want to have sponsors with ads between time outs and half time, but there is no interest. I am sending a lot of mails to different companies and I tell them they can choose how much do they want to give. I am sure that interest would come after some weeks of transmitting, because there would be a lot of viewers (embded live streams on different sport news websites). My club also can't help me, because they don't have enough free money in their budget to handle this expenses.

I am most confused about not getting answer from Blackmagic Design, sent to different emails. Why they can't just write me: "No, we can't give you product at lower price. Good Bye!"
I am waiting for their answer every day :)

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 4:47 pm

Sometimes big dreams start from small steps. Just don't give up.

Black Magic may not be willing to provide gear at a discount for you (it does sound like you have plans to solicit sponsorship... So eventually you will be making some $$$ from the use of their gear).

Good luck in any case.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Dec 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Don't write emails. No manager will answer such a mail - never. It seems like "spam".

Go to shpos and asks their managers directly - from face to face. Show them your work, done in the past. Explain your new idea. May be call them by telephone.

You have to invest something. If you have no money, you must invest someting you have - your time. Make a demo.

krep6767

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Добрый день!
Я из России, город Красноярск!
К сожалению. я не знаю английский :( , впрочем, как и многие-русский язык ;)
Google нам поможет!
Очень похожая тема,-поэтому пишу на этой ветке форума.
Мы хотим запустить IP-телеканал.
Есть команда единомышленников и некоторое оборудование:
Две камеры Panasonic-154, 4 камеры Canon EOS Mark II и прочее.
Хотим вещать в интернет концерты, соревнования, форумы в прямом эфире.
Какое минимальное оборудование нам подойдет? Чтобы мы могли подкючить эти 4-6 камер.
Какое еще дополнительное оборудование понадобиться ? Кабели, преобразователи, микшеры?
Или есть какое-то готовое решение?
Это начальный уровень. Нам не надо дорого.
С уважением, Александр Мальщуков

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Here a Translation made by google:

Good day!
I'm from Russia, Krasnoyarsk!
Oops. I do not speak English: (, however, as many Russian-language;)
Google will help us!
A very similar theme, so I write on this forum thread.
We want to run IP-TV.
There is a team of like-minded and some of the equipment:
Two cameras Panasonic-154, 4 Cameras Canon EOS Mark II, and more.
Want to broadcast on the internet concerts, competitions, forums, live.
What is the minimum equipment we need? To these we can podkyuchit 4.6 cameras.
What other accessories do you need? Cables, converters, mixers?
Or is there a ready-made solution?
This is the default value. We should not be expensive.
Sincerely, Alexander Malschukov

I think the translation is good enough to understand.

I depends of your budget.... And what you really want.

Yes, you need a mixer (maybe the Blackmagic 1ME or 2ME). You need a computer to stream mixers output to internet. You need a lot of cables. When working with camera men, you need a intercom to talk with them.

Are there no forums in russian language ?

Google translation to russian language:
Google перевод на русский язык:
------------------------------------------------------

Я думаю, что перевод достаточно хорошо, чтобы понять.

Это зависит от вашего бюджета .... И то, что вы действительно хотите.

Да, нужно смеситель (возможно, Blackmagic 1ME или 2ME). Вы нужен компьютер, чтобы поток смесители выход в интернет. Вам нужно много кабелей. При работе с камерой мужчины, вы должны внутренней связи, чтобы поговорить с ними.

Разве нет форумов в русском языке?

krep6767

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 3:40 am

Спасибо за ответ!
Форумы на русском языке конечно есть!
Но мне нравиться оборудование Blackmagik, потому что его можно наращивать, как конструктор Lego. А этот форум очень специализированный. Поэтому я здесь.
Можно ли обойтись без кабелей от камеры до микшера? Есть ли такие решения?
С уважением!

Thomas Seewald

PostTue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Google translation:

Thanks for the reply!
Forums in Russian of course there is!
But I like the equipment Blackmagik, because it can build up as a designer Lego. And this forum is very specialized. So here I am.
Can we do without cable from the camera to my mixer? Are there any solutions?
Yours!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, with wireless transmission of SID or HDMI I hve no experience.

К сожалению, с беспроводной передачи SDI или HDMI у меня нет опыта.

krep6767

PostTue Sep 24, 2013 4:08 am

Добрый день!
Возвращаюсь к этой теме опять!
Теперь есть возможность вещать телевизионный канал. Но нет оборудования. Нужна спецификация (список) оборудования для вещания в эфир. Могут помочь специалисты составить список необходимого оборудования. Или подскажите к кому обратиться с этим вопросом.
С уважением!

Return to Live Production