Hyperdeck Studio Timecode drift??

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Knut Bussian

Hyperdeck Studio Timecode drift??

PostSun Jun 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi,

I'm using 3x Hyperdeck Studio for football coverage. Each one is connected to an AUX to an ATEM 2ME/4K. AUX 1+2 are directly fed by cameras and AUX 3 is being fed by cleanfeed 1.

The first 2 Hyperdecks are controlled via JLCooper ES Slomo 9 pin for slowmotion and are put into record when needed, stopped when a slomo is needed, play back the cue and put back into record afterwards. The cleanfeed is recording the entire game.

My problem:
When putting the tracks in a timeline of my NLE (Edius), I noticed that the recordings of the cleanfeed and the two "slomos" don't match. Although they have the same TC the cleanfeed is always off. Sometimes only 2 to 4 seconds sometimes even more.

I don't have anything genlocked. Could this be the culprit?

I'm using ATEM software 6.1.

Thanks,
Knut

Chad

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Timecode drift??

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 6:40 pm

No. Genlock won't be the culprit. Genlock only matters when plugging multiple inputs into a single device (like a switcher) to keep them all frame by frame accurate. But even without it you should only see 1 frame of difference (ie miliseconds) between the different sources, not seconds.

How are you getting time code into the Hyperdecks? Are they Hyperdeck Studio Pros? If you are trying to insert timecode into the ATEM, I'm not sure if that actually works, and/or is passed to the AUX buses yet (depending on version).

Knut Bussian

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 4:06 pm

No, I only use the "normal" Hyperdeck Studio. The input (with TC) is being fed by the AUXes of the ATEM 2ME 4K which outputs the same TC on all outputs.

That's why I don't get it. All Hyperdecks are fed by the same ATEM (one AUX for each). 2 of them are started via RS422 (JLCooper ES Slomo) and the other one is started at the beginning of the show.

Dave Glennie

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi there,

We use almost the exact same set-up for football coverage- using 4 Hyperdecks- 1 on PGM backup ( master is XDCam), 3 on replays from Aux 1 2 & 3. BUT we use 3 Hyperdeck Studio Pro's for the replays as we can send them timecode from a Evertz timecode source. This is because, to the best of my knowledge ( and I have been 'banging' on about this for literally years now) the timecode in to the ATEM does nothing. There is no embedded timecode in the SDi signal of the ATEM mixer. Why they can't ( or won't) do this is a mystery as this option was mentioned in the early versions of the manual.

Anyway- noticed that the HDMI to SDi Teranex mini has a TC input option- hopefully this means they can finally get this to work in the ATEMs…….unless they have sneaked it into a new software version and I don't know about it…..if so, someone please tell me.

So, your Hyperdecks will probably not be receiving a 'synced' timecode from the ATEM…..

Cheers
Dave
Hi-sat Broadcast
DSNG HD uplink trucks x 2, PDW-700 XDCam HD x 2, PMW500, HDW-750 x 5,
Way too much BMD stuff to list!!

Knut Bussian

PostSat Jun 13, 2015 8:39 am

Dave,

with the advent of the ATEM 2ME 4K TC is working! You can either use an external source feeding the ATEM or simply use the integrated one. Unfortunately, you can't set the internal TC to a specific time (yet). It simply starts counting, starting from 00:00:00:00.

TC on this machine is output on AUX 1-6 and PGM. Don't think on the PREV, though (not sure).

That being said, you can use plain vanilla Hyperdeck Studios to record to timecode.

Otherwise my setup would not have been working at all. Previously I had to jam-sync my cameras in order to get a timecode embedded in the signal (RP188).

But this still doesn't solve my issue.

Do you experience drifts, Dave?

Return to Live Production