ATEM 1m/e and laptop

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ali Ghazizadeh

ATEM 1m/e and laptop

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:23 pm

hi,
i have my ATEM set as 1080i50(because i get this signal from my cameras),and everything is working fine,
but i have problem to get output from laptop to my ATEM i tried direct HDMI and hdmi to sdi mini convertor,i find out because most of laptop output is 1080i60 or 1080i59.94 this will happen,
is there anyway to connect laptop to ATEM with this configuration ? any converter?
by the way i'm new in live production,so i will be very happy if anyone tell me what i have to do exactly.
ATEM 1 M/E,Smart Video Hub,full Set of OpenGear,AnalogtoSDI mini,hdmitoSDI mini,
HyperDeck Studio,H.264 Pro,DecklinkExtrem+,DecklinkStudio,Decklink 4K,decklink mini mointor,decklink mini recorder,Tranex 2D,smart Scope Duo,SmartView HD

Raphaël Jacquot

Re: ATEM 1m/e and laptop

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:31 pm

you need some device to make believe your laptop that the hdmi on the other end can only accept 50i.
I know gefen has appropriate devices.

Ali Ghazizadeh

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:you need some device to make believe your laptop that the hdmi on the other end can only accept 50i.
I know gefen has appropriate devices.

thanks man,do you know the device model number,

any other ideas guys?
ATEM 1 M/E,Smart Video Hub,full Set of OpenGear,AnalogtoSDI mini,hdmitoSDI mini,
HyperDeck Studio,H.264 Pro,DecklinkExtrem+,DecklinkStudio,Decklink 4K,decklink mini mointor,decklink mini recorder,Tranex 2D,smart Scope Duo,SmartView HD

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Be aware we are all have issues with 3.2 and beyond and compatability with 60/59.94 hz. This may not be an issue with 50i.

However I use the following devices with 3.1.1 and they work perfectly. I run them in 720p60 mode and they convert any input signal into the defined output. And.. until 3.2 firmware they worked perfectly for my needs.

Here is a VGA to HDMI scaler
http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-PC-Laptop-to-HDMI-Converter-with-built-in-Scaler-up-to-1080p.html

And this is a Gefen HDMI to HDMI scaler.
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=10048

There is also a rather useful "Compatible Equipment" list maintained on ATEMuser.com by the community.
http://atemuser.com/CompatibleEquipment
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Ali Ghazizadeh

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:02 pm

is it possible to do that with blackmagic converter?,i have a bunch of converters and full set of opengear

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:06 pm

If you are talking about the mini-converters - while they are useful - they don't scale... they just convert the signal "as-is".

I have a bunch myself and they are useful to convert if you can set the output of the source to match the input of the ATEM precisely. Scalers actually upscale or downscale and alter frame rates to match.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:49 pm

Mike Squires

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm surprised you're laptop can't output 1080i50. What graphics card does it have in it? If it's using Intel graphics, that may be the problem. I've heard of issues with ATI as well, and nvidia seems to be the best.

My laptop has a nvidia GTX460M in it, and I can output 480i and 1080i to the ATEM just fine.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:this should do the trick
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

While that device can be useful in some circumstances - it won't help to convert a signal from a video card that does not properly support the format the ATEM may be configured for.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 1:47 pm

it should be able to force any recent video card into submission though

Ali Ghazizadeh

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Mike Squires wrote:I'm surprised you're laptop can't output 1080i50. What graphics card does it have in it? If it's using Intel graphics, that may be the problem. I've heard of issues with ATI as well, and nvidia seems to be the best.

My laptop has a nvidia GTX460M in it, and I can output 480i and 1080i to the ATEM just fine.

thanks to all guys that answered,
yes laptop with nvidia is working fine,i bought one laptop with nvidia graphics card and put it in studio so everyone can use that

Mike Squires

PostSat Sep 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Maybe you can force the correct timings with Powerstrip?

http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Also as an FYI we are working on adding official support for 1080i60 into the ATEM line. Previously it was not officially supported or tested, but it did work. When we released 3.2 this function broke (again since we weren't testing it we didn't know). But we are now working on supporting it officially. But the converters will get you there as well, and I would imagine that 50i would work too, though you might have to manually "list the modes" to select it in a PAL region.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Joshua

This makes me VERY HAPPY!!!

Thank you for hearing our feedback about the 60hz issue and then (very quickly I would say) coming back with a response that so clearly and unequivocally confirms your intention to formally support 60Hz.

Now... of course... my next question is... do you have any idea of a timescale for this? Are we talking weeks or months?

-Liam

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 6:57 pm

I only know that we are actively working on it.

So that means it could be in the next release, or if the changes for the next release were already too close to release it may be in the one following. Of course, that being said...as always with adding features, it's entirely possible that things could take us longer than we expect and it might get pushed out.

So... what that really means is i'm not exactly sure when, but we do see it as an important issue.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to Live Production