Some guidence on output process from 1 m/e

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TonyThigpen

Some guidence on output process from 1 m/e

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 1:27 pm

Due to end of year vacations and such, we an just now getting back to converting our video production process at our church to use our new 1 M/E. Initially, we need to:
1) produce an compressed video file for uploading to youtube
2) produce a DVD
3) produce an mp3 file of just the audio
4) feed an output out for distribution to multiple tv's via coax. (We currently use a composite video to channel 3 box.)

Our set-up is two computers. A small, older pc running the ATEM control panel software and a new, quad-core usb 3.0 PC with 2 TB of storage (w/ DVD burner).

We spent the time before Christmas learning to use the new cameras and learning the mixing process, and controling the multi-viewer. Now we need to learn how to perform the output process.

Currently, we have both Media Express and Flash Media Live Encoder loaded but we have not had time to understand that end of the process.

I am open to any advice from current users.

On the horizon, we want to add streaming, but when we start that is not time critical.

Thanks,

Tony T.

Liam Kennedy

Re: Some guidence on output process from 1 m/e

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Have you verified if your PC with USB3 is capable of capturing the output from the 1ME? It may be a matter of luck (unless you verified before purchasing) if the USB3 controller in your PC is compatible. So I would first give that a try - otherwise you may have to purchase an Intensity Pro card rather than mess with USB.

It's very easy to test of course. Just connect your PC to the USB port on the 1ME. Using the Control Panel on that PC make sure AUX1 is configured to show Program Out (AUX1 is what controls what gets sent to the USB port). Then you will see a capture "TAB" on the ATEM Control Software (you don't even need to launch Media Express). Just configure that to capture in the format you need (will likely have to be MJPEG unless your system is capable - and you want to deal with uncompressed).

Sounds like you need to have composite output from the 1ME to drive your TV's? If that is the case then firmware 3.4 has a bug with the down-conversion. Black Magic have confirmed that 3.5 firmware is in QA and that is supposed to have a fix to re-enable downconversion.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

TonyThigpen

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 pm

The USB3 works fine. The 'capture pc' sees the video. We only tried to capture to a file one time, but when we played it back, the sound sync was way off (1+ seconds), so we think we did something wrong. But, we ran out of time that day and have not tried it again due to scheduling over the holidays. I don't remember which software we were using to capture during that test.

At least we know we don't know enough. :D

Tony T

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Great on the USB3 compatability. Sounds like you will work well there. Most streaming/third party capture software will be able to "see" the output from the ATEM in that case.

Is the sound delay there in the live switching - or something you only see in the captured file?

The following are all relevant to the quesiton of an audio delay.

What cameras are you using - and how are they connected to the ATEM?
Do you have an audio delay device?
What video standard have you configured your ATEM and cameras?

Note: some cameras that output HDMI introduce a large delay (up to 1 second has been reported). The ATEM usually introduces a very small delay of 1-3 frames (if you are not adding lower thirds or using the DVE the delay is 1 frame max). That's mostly un-noticable (at least to my eye). A 1 scond delay indicates something else is causing that.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

TonyThigpen

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 11:35 pm

As to the sound delay. I attached an HDMI cable from the output side of the ATEM into a TV and the sound was matching the video. So, it was either the capture software, the payback software or dumb user error, but I did not have time to determine which. I really think it was the latter. I plan to do some testing this weekend. (FYI, the sound was coming from the camera via a 2m HDMI cable.)
In our final, production setting, the sound will not be from the camera, but from the PA system.
Tony T.

Return to Live Production