Hyperdeck playback issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

DavidSweeney

PostWed Jan 13, 2016 9:36 pm

Hi all, I am back at it - trying to get our Hypdeck Studio playing video into the ATEM Studio. I am setting this up for the first time since we bought it two years ago - I know I am behind.

Anyhow - updated the software on the Hyperdeck. Now trying to get the video output to work with the input on the ATEM Studio - and for some reason I am getting flickering video - which has to be the Hyperdeck outputting the wrong video format. I have the ATEM set to 1080i 60p.

Some assistance would be helpful in this! I also need some advice on how to get the audio from our Hyperdeck into the Behringer Ultramatch Pro so that I can play audio into our live audio board when I playback video clips. Thank you!
David located in Toronto, Canada.

Audio/Visual Department, CAMH

Scott Smith

Re: Hyperdeck playback issues

PostSat Jan 16, 2016 4:15 pm

No idea on why you are getting flickering. Typically on the ATEM, it either works, or it doesn't. A frame rate mismatch will just simply not show up. So I really am at a loss to explain flickering in a digital medium on an ATEM. Could it actually be lighting? A bad cable? Too long of a cable, so it is on the borderline of not passing signal? -- a few guesses to look at.

On the audio, you would have been better off to have purchased the Hyperdeck Pro in this application rather than the Hyperdeck Studio, as it has XLR outputs (and inputs). The Hyperdeck Studio has no discrete audio outputs or inputs. But given what you have, you'll now need an audio disembedder. The blackmagic miniconverter "SDI to Audio" will take care of this for you. You send SDI into it from the Hyperdeck, and it will strip off the audio for outputting to your audio console (no behringer needed).

Good luck with the flicker.

Also, FYI, there is no such thing as 1080i 60p. It is either i (interlaced) or p (progressive). But not both. For 1080 on an ATEM, it ought to be 1080i60 (1080i59.94 in actuality). Everything you use in the system needs to be set to this standard.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

DavidSweeney

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 7:35 pm

thanks for the reply...... I wish I had purchased the Hyperdeck with the audiio outputs. It would be much easier to work with, but I have to work with what we have for now. Is there not a way to change the output settings of the Hyperdeck?

DavidSweeney

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 7:49 pm

also that flickering I am getting is from the HDMI - not SDI. I can't seem to even get a video signal from the SDI output.

DavidSweeney

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 9:25 pm

Just spent a few hours updating the switcher software to 6.6.1 and the panel is also on the same version. Everything seems to be running from the switcher side of things. But the Hyperdeck is outputting 1080p30 - which of course the ATEM switcher is set to 1080i60. How do I make these compatible, so that I can get video playback.

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Jan 18, 2016 11:28 pm

The hyperdeck simply outputs whatever format your files are.

The easy way to make the correct format for playback is to first record a short file with the output of the atem connected to the hyperdeck input. Record some colour bars or whatever. Then import this clip into your computer. Drag it into a new Adobe Premiere sequence and choose "change sequence settings to match media" in the popup which appears. This will give you the correct sequence settings for the atem. When you render you need to chose the codec which matches what your hyperdeck is set to. If you use DNXHD then you should use the highest bitrate at 10bit quality.

Copy the rendered file back to the SSD and it should play in the deck and output into the atem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Scott Smith

PostTue Jan 19, 2016 4:56 pm

The output of a Hyperdeck is reliant on two things, 1)The format of the video (as Tom said). It can be pretty picky about it being exactly right. Things like frame rate and resolution are determined by the file, not the deck. And 2) The "Record" setting on the deck. I'm still not sure why Blackmagic designed it this way, but you have to have the "record" setting set to match the playback setting. You can't playback a DNxHD file with the deck set to a ProRes "Record" setting (and vice versa).

I assume you have edited some footage you want to playback? If so, what editing system are you using, and on what platform? I export stuff all the time for Hyperdeck playback in Adobe Premiere on Mac, and could send you an export preset in ProRes. I could probably also create a Adobe DNxHD export setting for you as well, but don't typically use that format, myself.

One thing to test. And maybe you are already doing it this way . . . . Run video into the Hyperdeck from the ATEM, even if it is just a color background, and record it. Then immediately play it back. It should be recorded in a format that will playback, and that matches the ATEM. If you can't do this, you have other issues than file format hyperdeck problems.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

DavidSweeney

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 5:49 pm

thanks for the advice! We are using either final cut or Premiere for editing footage. Often we are playing back video's given to us by another department - so we have Compressor for file conversion, but it would be good to get it right in the first place.

I haven't tried recording any footage from the ATEM yet - but I will give that a try!

Scott Smith

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 2:11 pm

On my iPad at the moment. Later, when at a real computer, I'll upload some Adobe Media Encoder presets.

One thing I discovered is that different manufacturers of hardware and software use different terminology when discussing interlaced frame rates. Old school analog standard definition always used "frame" rates, but a frame was made up of two interlaced fields. So 480i29.97 video had practically 30frames/sec, but 60 fields/sec. This did not translate well with different companies's nomenclature when we added progressive scan as well as interlaced standards - since in progressive scan, a field and frame are equal. As a result, many products show field rates, not frame rates for interlaced stuff. Others keep frame rates.

Long story short . . . To get 1080i59.94 (fields/sec) on the hyperdeck, you export at 1080i29.97 (frames/sec) in AME.

It would be nice if companies designated this frame vs field discrepancy via capital/lowercase letters like they do with megabytes (MB) and megabits (Mb). But they don't.

Will put up some export settings for AME in a bit. I have good ones I use all the time in ProRes.
Scott R Smith

Scott Smith

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 10:50 pm

Here are Hyperdeck settings for Adobe Media Encoder in NTSC varieties of the following:

ProRes 422 1920x1080, 29.97i (aka 59.94i on hyperdeck)
ProRes 422-HQ 1920x1080, 29.97i (aka 59.94i on hyperdeck)
ProRes 422 1280x720, 59.94p
ProRes 422-HQ 1280x720, 59.94p

Files found here:
https://clemson.box.com/s/jn4xud3inl0d3 ... xvee95zwqa
Last edited by Scott Smith on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott R Smith

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 10:52 pm

I will add dnxhd and PAL rates to these tomorrow. Would it be ok to take your files from box and host the complete set on atemuser.com please Scott?

Scott Smith

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 11:00 pm

Certainly. I did just tweak the "Comment Field" in the presets, so if you grabbed them a couple of minutes ago, you might want to do it again.

Share all you like.

I keep these on my thumb drive for dispersal to all my editors. I use them all the time. And, I might actually want to download the DNxHD versions you have, for those rare Windows PC times I might need them. I've played with it, but seems I had some little issue.
Last edited by Scott Smith on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott R Smith

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Not yet looked at them, but I will grab them before I make mine, test them all and put them in a zip on atemuser with a little howto doc so it's as easy as possible for people to follow :)

Scott Smith

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 11:04 pm

Great Idea. This should be available for everyone, and easy to find. Heck, BMD should have them in their Support/Downloads area.
Scott R Smith

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 11:05 pm

:) yeah BMD should do lots of stuff. In the meantime we will try and fill in the gaps and help each other!

Scott Smith

PostMon Jan 25, 2016 11:11 pm

Oh, and FYI, those presets are dual-mono, 2-channel audio. Hyperdecks record 16 channel mono, but they handle 2 channel playback just fine (at least in ProRes).
Scott R Smith

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 9:11 pm

Were is that LIKE button when you need it.... :D

Can you guys also include the 50Hz settings for Europe users :idea: ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Scott Smith

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Tom said he was going to make them and put them up on Atemuser. I would, but have no good accurate way of testing them without jumping through some hoops. Which I may do. If I get a chance. I don't mind a few hoops to jump through on occasion.

But, you are welcome. Actually I have made a few more settings and plan to upload them there soon. They include 16 channel audio versions, and ProRes-LT versions. I might take another stab at the DNxHD.

I don't have the ability to mess around with the higher end 4K versions, or I would make those as well. Most of my decks are from before the 4K versions were released, and are also run through my router, which cannot handle 4k.
Scott R Smith

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 9:27 pm

Sorry for the delay with this. Been rebuilding the flightcases with these decks live in and what was supposed to take an afternoon has dragged I a bit. I should have the settings examples done over the weekend.

Scott Smith

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 pm

I have no issues making them, it is testing them out to make certain they are correct that is what slows me down.
Scott R Smith

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Yeah same excuse here! Been making bnc cables all day and cutting my hands in the back of the racks. Tomorrow it will all be finished and I can turn to the preset making and testing.

Scott Smith

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 10:56 pm

Wow. The 16-channel versions are tougher than i expected. That took some trial and error. What is tough, is that the Hyperdeck plays them back as a single track with 16 channels. So you have to set up your editing (Premiere) to output each timeline track as a channel on the master. Media Encoder isn't the issue, it is getting Premiere set up right to output 16 tracks in the right format before sending it out to Encoder. I may not put those up, as they would likely only cause grief.
Scott R Smith

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 11:42 pm

Yeah it's a bit of a PITA to setup, I have a premiere project which demonstrates how it works which I'll put up in the download. I might even screen capture the setup process if I can correctly recall the steps, I worked it out a while ago now so I'm a little rusty.

Scott Smith

PostSun Jan 31, 2016 5:42 pm

A tutorial might be more helpful than a preset for the multichannel stuff. It is one of those situations where you can't predict what people will actually need, but could show them how to get there.
Scott R Smith

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Feb 12, 2016 11:07 pm

Multichannel audio setup in premiere. :)

Scott Smith

PostWed Feb 17, 2016 3:15 am

Nice work, Tom.
Scott R Smith

Jose Mathew

PostThu Feb 18, 2016 2:27 pm

There is a jitter issue while I using motion controll in Hyperdeck studio pro. please suggest a solution.

Thanks

Patrick Brown

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Anyone successfully spit DNxHD video out of a PC and had it play right on the Hyperdeck? Using Premiere Pro CC 2014 and having a devil of a time getting it to work. Thanks.

Trying 720P 59.94 10 Bit DNxHD 220 right now and getting no love.

David Hutchinson

PostSun Apr 03, 2016 9:57 pm

Make sure your premiere pro export audio is set to uncompressed and see if that helps.

DavidSweeney

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Hey guys! I haven't been here in a long time..... we just upgraded our gear. Now using the 4K ATEM, and Hyperdeck Studio Pro -- and trying to figure out a few audio issues with playback - see my other post about crackling audio.

Patrick Brown

PostMon May 16, 2016 6:54 pm

Does the Hyperdeck only playback DNxHD in a .MOV wrapper? I was hoping to be able to export .MXF but it doesn't seem to be working any way I try.

Scott Smith

PostWed May 18, 2016 4:40 am

I do know you have to set the hyperdeck "record" menu setting to the format you are trying to play back. Stupid menu design to have to set a record menu preference to set the playback, but, well, I've seen worse.
Scott R Smith

Patrick Brown

PostWed May 18, 2016 3:50 pm

After doing some more research, it appears that the DNxHD file needs to be in the OP-Atom variant, instead of the more standard OP1A variant. Premiere Pro can't spit out OP-Atom.

I tried using Resolve to produce an OP-Atom clip, but I still can't get the Hyperdeck to play it back. We're going back to ProRes for now, but we'd sure like to get off that codec.

Maybe BlackMagic could work on playing standard DNxHD OP1A files?

Tom_Bassford

PostWed May 18, 2016 3:52 pm

Can you even load recorded MXF files into premiere? AFAIK the DNXHD MXF workflow is only for AVID.

Patrick Brown

PostWed May 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:Can you even load recorded MXF files into premiere? AFAIK the DNXHD MXF workflow is only for AVID.

Yep, no problem bringing in DNxHD from the Hyperdeck into Premiere. There's a full suite of DNx options within Premiere.

Scott Smith

PostFri May 27, 2016 12:08 pm

I downloaded the Avid codecs, and made a working DNxHD .mov yesterday, easily, in Premiere, that worked fine on the hyperdeck. First try. It isn't that hard. Maybe I'll save the preset (with codec link) and post it later today.

Both of the DNxHD files (mov and mxf) worked fine importing into Premiere for me, even before I downloaded the codecs. And I was able to export the mov version through AME to playback in a Hyperdeck. I don't normally do this, since I use Macs, and ProRes is the way to go if you are Mac based.
Last edited by Scott Smith on Fri May 27, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott R Smith

Scott Smith

PostFri May 27, 2016 6:11 pm

Well . . . . i made two presets, one for 1080i29.97 and one for 720p59.94. And then I tested them. At first the 1080i worked great, and the 720p would not work. Then, suddenly after a drive reformat, the 720p worked fine, and the 1080i refused to work. Something is askew.
Scott R Smith

Patrick Brown

PostFri Jun 03, 2016 8:27 pm

If you find a preset for 720P/59.94 that consistently works, I'd be really appreciative of you posting it.

Scott Smith

PostSat Jun 04, 2016 8:49 pm

In prores, yes. In DNxHD . . . Not yet reliably.
Scott R Smith

Patrick Brown

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Cool- we have ProRes working but would love to switch to DNxHD.

Nigel Fryatt

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 11:13 am

We have had the same issues. We can't get an DNxHD file create in ME CC to play on the Hyperdeck. ProRes encoding works fine, but we have found an issue with the file name causing the Hyperdeck to sometimes playback a file as 1080p rather than 1080i (which is what our ATEM is set to). We also found that the Hyperdeck remote control from the ATEM causes the Hyperdeck to crash when scrolling through files copied to the SSD (compared to files natively reordered by it).

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 7:57 pm

@ Scott and Tom..
Can we have another go at this to make a Dropbox or some other way of sharing with a full list of presets for Adobe media encoder, Premiere and maybe FCP or something..

Would be neat to put this one to bed for once and for all.. ;)
Then i can also include this Dropbox or other downloadable source to the FAQ so people can find it back ;)
Frequently Asked Questions - Recording
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tom_Bassford

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:49 pm

I can host the presets on atemuser.com if that would be useful. Or maybe we should use Adobe Cloud if it supports *public* sharing of assets?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:I can host the presets on atemuser.com if that would be useful.

Sounds good to me! :) A few presets wont break the datalimit right..
I do think it is a good idea to make 1 zip file with a fixed structure inside like:
So it is 1 file people have to download to have all presets needed. I know it is a bit of work.. But i do not have FCP or Premiere.. So i can not chip in sorry..

• Adobe Media Encoder
    • ProRes
      • PAL (25 / 50 FPS)
        • 1280x720 P50
        • 1920x1080P25
        • 1920x1080i50
        • 1920x1080P50
        • 3840x2160P25
        • 3840x2160P50
      • NTSC (24 / 29,94 / 59.94 FPS)
        • Etc Etc
        • Etc
    • DNxHD
      • PAL (25 / 50 FPS)
        • 1280x720 P50
        • 1920x1080P25
        • 1920x1080i50
        • 1920x1080P50
        • 3840x2160P25
        • 3840x2160P50
        • Etc Etc
        • Etc
  • Adobe Premiere
    • ProRes
      • PAL (25 / 50 FPS)
        • 1280x720 P50
        • 1920x1080P25
        • 1920x1080i50
        • 1920x1080P50
        • 3840x2160P25
        • 3840x2160P50
        • Etc Etc
        • Etc
    • DNxHD
      • PAL (25 / 50 FPS)
        • 1280x720 P50
        • 1920x1080P25
        • 1920x1080i50
        • 1920x1080P50
        • 3840x2160P25
        • 3840x2160P50
        • Etc Etc
        • Etc
  • Apple FCP

Jason Murray

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 1:13 am

I need some major help. We have a commercials file that works on the hyper deck mini but we can't seem to duplicate the settings so that we can make an updated commercials file for our show.

Is there anyone that can help me with this or give me some advice?

I can send the file over so that anyone can look at it to give me advice.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Return to Live Production