Decklink and Camera Control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Philip Marcus

Decklink and Camera Control

PostWed Jan 20, 2016 7:10 pm

I'm working on "remote operationalizing" a micro studio 4k camera.
I've successfully controlled the camera using the Atem production studio 4k, and I have also successfully captured video connecting the camera directly to a computer with a DeckLink 4K Extreme.
Looking at the SDK's for each device, I see the in section 8 of the ATEM SDK the ability to control the camera (iris,zoom,etc). I don't seem to see that same ability with the DeckLink SDK. I was hoping to eliminate the need for the ATEM, and just plug the camera directly into the decklink, get minimal controls over camera functionality, and then be able to capture & stream.

Does this functionality not exist? In that case, I guess this is a feature request similar to post:
[url]https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=42409
[/url]
to get ATEM SDK native support on Linux.

Thanks,

Philip

Jonas Bengtson

Re: Decklink and Camera Control

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 11:25 am

The Camera settings is basically ANC data in the SDI stream, the manual defines what parts of the data stream controls what.

You can generate your own SDI stream using the DeckLink SDK, take a look at using IDeckLinkOutput::CreateAncillaryData in the C++ SDK. There is a demo file in the SDK called VancOutput.cpp that shows you how to use the SDK to emit VANC data, combine that with the specification in the camera manual and you should be able to control the camera as you want.

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 12:05 pm

Yes as Jonas says it's all in the SDK.

Note however that you need 2x decklink devices if you want to capture and control the camera. Any single decklink channel can be either input or output so to send a control feed back to the camera requires a separate device to the one used to capture the video stream.

Alternatively you could use an atem to control the camera. The following resources will help you control the atem from Linux.
https://github.com/petersimonsson/libqatemcontrol

http://skaarhoj.com/fileadmin/BMDPROTOCOL.html

Good luck
Cheers
Tom
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Thomas Petzold

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi,

Jonas and Tom have explain it right. I have developed a CCU/Tally Software for Decklink cards last year.
In combination with a ADAM-4051-BE Interface for the Tally signal we use it with our PANASONIC AV-H450.

Cheers
Thomas

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Jan 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Thomas Petzold wrote:Hi,

Jonas and Tom have explain it right. I have developed a CCU/Tally Software for Decklink cards last year.
In combination with a ADAM-4051-BE Interface for the Tally signal we use it with our PANASONIC AV-H450.

Cheers
Thomas

You should open source that Thomas if it's not proprietary! It looks like a great software package, good work :)

Thomas Petzold

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi,

let me clean up the code. Open source is an idea.
We have also support for MIDI Control of our 01V96 include and a X-Key support is in planning.

Cheers
Thomas

Thomas Petzold

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi,

a non clean first version are online.

https://github.com/tomtom1976/Blackmagic-Decklink-CCU

Cheers and happy tests

Jonas Bengtson

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Thomas Petzold wrote:Hi,

a non clean first version are online.

https://github.com/tomtom1976/Blackmagic-Decklink-CCU

Cheers and happy tests

Hey Thomas!

Great work and a big thanks from the community, having a implementation to look at helps a lot!
It works for me also so great work!

Thomas Petzold

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi,

If you have any question, feel free to ask. The project is uncommented at the moment, because we use it internal only.

Cheers
Thomas

Brendan Marsay

PostFri Jun 17, 2016 5:11 pm

I don't suppose the non-programmers among us can get the executable?

Raziel Panic

PostMon Feb 06, 2017 2:14 am

I can't actually get Thomas' solution to build. Is there a library from xceed.com that's required, but moved?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 3.11.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 3.11.59 AM.png (142.06 KiB) Viewed 5690 times

Dan Michael Hodges

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 8:01 pm

I know this is an older topic but I'm hoping to clarify. I too am looking to make some automation via micro Cinema camera from a Deck Link system.

So it sounds like there is no way to send camera control signals through the decklink output while recording.

What about the rs422 output. Are there any protocols that might allow that to be used?

If I were to instead use the Arduino shield as a translator how might I talk to it from a Linux box? Ethernet?

Would the Arduino shield still send/embed ATEM commands into the SDI if there is technically no signal sent to it's input (via the decklink, etc.)??
HARDWARE: 2X Intel Xeon X5680 with 48GB Ram
GRAPHICS: Geforce GTX980Ti v384.69
PLAYBACK: SDI 4K

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 10:59 am

The Arduino shield will generate a blanco SDI signal if no input is present. ;)

Not embedding data on the output while running Recoding on the input.. That could be a simple case of the wrong card. ;)

Not all cards support seperate in and outputs. Only the higher end models support seperated in and output on the same card. While on the lower end cards the output only acts as loop output when you are ingesting a signal. ;)

I would like to see that software more developed.. But i have too much projects on my hand at the moment.. :) Hopefully near the summer have some more time to code my way into this.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dan Michael Hodges

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 11:12 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Not all cards support seperate in and outputs. Only the higher end models support seperated in and output on the same card. While on the lower end cards the output only acts as loop output when you are ingesting a signal. ;)

Thanks. So if I understand you correctly, one could (theoretically) send control signals to the camera through the Decklink SDI out while recording on the Decklink SDI in.... But only with the correct card.
HARDWARE: 2X Intel Xeon X5680 with 48GB Ram
GRAPHICS: Geforce GTX980Ti v384.69
PLAYBACK: SDI 4K

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 11:29 am

With certain decklink cards you are able to playout video on the sdi out, while capturing another feed on the input.. So i guess you will be able to insert VANC data on thatr output stream as well.. ;)

I have not a list with devices that are able to do that.. (Decklink Duo 2 and quad offcoarse..) But i do think some of the latter 4K models do support it..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

thaha_mohammed

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 9:21 am

i am new to this, i had the same idea , would like to know is there any update on how to control the camera directly from decklink sdk?

Return to Live Production