4K Genlock Options?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Andrew Myers

4K Genlock Options?

PostWed Mar 16, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm new to the whole broadcast production scene, so please forgive my ignorance.

I have recently learned the importance of synchronizing HD-SDI equipment by means of a tri level sync generator. Specifically, I have been using the Blackmagic Mini Converter Sync Generator and everything appears to be working perfectly.

We are currently in the process of upgrading from HD to UHD resolutions. This seems like a fairly straight forward exercise, as Blackmagic has 4K variants of most of their products (capture cards, routers, and switchers).

However, there is one component that appears to be missing - a UHD compatible sync generator. The Blackmagic Mini Converter Sync Generator appears to only support SD and HD formats. A quick search of the Internet also yields no 4K sync generator products on the market.

So what options are available for synchronizing UHD broadcast equipment? Or is this no longer a requirement for modern 4K broadcast systems?

Thanks,
Andrew

MambaFiber.com

Re: 4K Genlock Options?

PostWed Mar 16, 2016 8:43 pm

you can still use trilevel to sync 4k. the sync reference clocks your frame rate, regardless of frame dimensions. i still use SD black burst to clock HD 1080...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Andrew Myers

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 2:53 pm

Hi,

So are you confirming that the Blackmagic Mini Converter Sync Generator, that we have been using to genlock HD video content, can also be used for UHD video content?

Can someone from Blackmagic Design also verfiy whether the above statement is true?

Thanks,
Andrew

micha.loeffler@gmail.com

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi,

i´d like to push this topic meanwhile in 2018 and 4K/UHD beeing actual more than ever.

Can the BM Sync Generator be used for UHD as well?
Can Blackmagic confirm or some one how has used it syncing UHD without problems.

Comparing black burst syncing HD with using tri-level syncing UHD somehow sounds like apples and oranges to me.

Thanks!

Denny Smith

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Tried-level synchronization is the highest level available, and is used for UHD4K as well as HD. Genlock sync is an analog signal, not digital, so Black Burst (SD) and Tri-Level (HD) both still work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:10 pm

It is still 50 / 60 frames.. It does not matter it is 1080, or 3840 pixels width.. It still needs to clock out 50 /60 FPs so yes you can still use Trilevel sync for UHD! :D
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

micha.loeffler@gmail.com

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 7:10 am

Thank you guys!

@Xtreemtec. That was also my understanding. But BM is giving the follwoing specs for the Sync Gen making me unsure:

525i/29,97 NTSC; 625i/25 PAL
720p/50; 720p/59,94; 720p/60
1080p/23,98; 1080p/24; 1080p/25; 1080p/29,97; 1080p/30
1080PsF/23,98; 1080PsF/24
1080i/50, 1080i/59,94; 1080i/60

So you could think, that for some reason the resolution also does matter!
Would be better then only giving the supported frame rates and maybe the scanning methods, but not the resolutions leading to confusion.

Scott Smith

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:52 pm

This is all there is to TriLevel Sync. You have that analog signal, at the correct frame rate (29.97 times a second or whatever format you have chosen), and the cameras sync to the frequency. If this signal is being sent from a single source to all cameras (all TLS signals in time with each other), the cameras sync to each other in time. It isn't a resolution dependent signal.

Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Brilliant demo Scott. If that does not answer his question, then... ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 3:32 pm

I will help out here. Yes the tri level sync and even black burst may be used to genlock most of the Blackmagic gear as a sync reference at UHD resolutions. Probably best to use tri level sync if possible. It is indeed the frame rate that is important. There are a couple of points to make. Sync reference (either tri level or composite black with burst) are analog signals and would require an analog distribution amplifier if more feeds are necessary.The SDI DA is digital and will not work in this case. The other thing is all of the Blackmagic Studio type cameras will actually genlock to SDI video and better yet can use the ATEM switcher output as a reference which will minimize the latency through the ATEM. When using Blackmagic studio type cameras, set the Line Advance timing to -5 or more so the video arrives at the ATEM prior to it's processing delay. This will insure the overall latency through the ATEM to be a few lines on the program bus. Hope this helps

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Scott Smith

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 7:32 pm

Interesting info, Gary. Thanks.

Since I posted the other pic, I might as well post this one. Blackburst, aka black and burst, aka bi-level sync, aka old-school genlock looks like this. It is simple analog black video, with a sync pulse going downward, then a color burst (short squiggly line), then the 7.5 units of black level (pedestal). Repeat 29.97 times a second (or whatever your chosen frame rate is). Most modern gear using a genlock source only care about the sync pulse. Older analog gear also made use of the color burst. So, it could conceivably be a flat line with a single downward pulse at the correct frame rate - which would essentially be the same as the tri-level sync, without the upward-going sync pulse. But standard black is what is typically used, shown here:

Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

pederdingo

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi Gary,

super cool feature.

The Smarthub 40x40 12g and the Teranex AV also have ref in.
Would I gain anything from using tri level with all equipment (Smarthub, ATEM, Studio Fiber Converter and Teranex) or could they all use the reference from the ATEM SDI?

Gary Adams wrote:I will help out here. Yes the tri level sync and even black burst may be used to genlock most of the Blackmagic gear as a sync reference at UHD resolutions. Probably best to use tri level sync if possible. It is indeed the frame rate that is important. There are a couple of points to make. Sync reference (either tri level or composite black with burst) are analog signals and would require an analog distribution amplifier if more feeds are necessary.The SDI DA is digital and will not work in this case. The other thing is all of the Blackmagic Studio type cameras will actually genlock to SDI video and better yet can use the ATEM switcher output as a reference which will minimize the latency through the ATEM. When using Blackmagic studio type cameras, set the Line Advance timing to -5 or more so the video arrives at the ATEM prior to it's processing delay. This will insure the overall latency through the ATEM to be a few lines on the program bus. Hope this helps

Regards, Gary

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Only the cameras can lock to the SDI. Everything else should have tri level to be consistent.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production