Noise on Micro and Mini Converters SDI to HDMI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Byron Miranda

Noise on Micro and Mini Converters SDI to HDMI

PostSun Aug 07, 2016 7:07 am

I been having a lot of issues BM products. Specially with Micro and Mini converters. I am using ATEM 4K switcher and VideoHub 12x12.. Noise on SDI to HDMI converters with or without embedded audio. contacted BM but still no eta on a fix. anyone else having issues with these converters? Also, the micro converter are not recognized on their software like the mini converters when connected via the USB port. I am using the latest firmware for all the equipment. Distributing to about 5 TV’s via Belden 1695a coax. today I tried another generic SDI-HDMI converter noise was gone. I am disappointment that BM has not fixed the problem yet. I made a video and uploaded it youtube, but i cannot post the link here.

Also, why does not the Mini Recorder do 1080p 59.94 or 60 ? and the ATEM 4K switcher does not output 1080p 60, seriously?

BenWorkman

Re: Noise on Micro and Mini Converters SDI to HDMI

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Same problem about the noise on a SDI-HDMI micro converter. Was hoping to replace a Decimator as I don't need frame conversion at this spot, but this makes the audio absolutely terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derekhay

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 6:08 pm

We are also having intermittent audio noise using the BMD SDI to HDMI Microconverters. Noise happens approx. 50% of the time, and on several (if not all) of the converters. Traded out for a couple of other brands of converters and that has solved issue for this show.

Using output of ATEM 2 M/E 4K with embedded audio, and through BMD Smart Videohub 40x40 to the MicroConverters. ATEM output to router is via Aux5 with M/E 1 PGM as source. Running current version of firmware on MicroConverters, 7.0.5

Caley Monahon-Ward

PostSun Sep 04, 2016 1:25 pm

Same here. Sounds like audio aliasing and occurs if there is any audio whatsoever embedded in the SDI input of the micro converter. In my tests the converter was fed directly from program out of Production Studio 4K. The problem occurs even when the only unmuted channel in the ATEM input is an open analog input channel that has nothing plugged into it. The noise also happens when using an embedded audio input from a camera - in this case the noise modulates the audio. It goes away only when all inputs in the ATEM mixer are muted. Not the end of the world - we can use different converters when we need to embed audio to TVs - but cost me a full afternoon of troubleshooting since it seemed the problem was in the ATEM mixer.

I tried 2 micro converters which both suffered from the issue. Upgrading from the firmware they shipped with (sorry, not sure which) to 7.0.5 did not make a difference.

This needs a fix ASAP.

alexhackney

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Has this been resolved?

dpringer

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 pm

I have two of these HDMI to 3G-SDI converters. One is very noisy at 1080P. The other refuses to sync using the exact same HDMI signal.

Repeated attempts to resolve the issue with black magic tech support has lead to nothing but frustration.
I even bought a SDI to HDMI converter from them to verify it is their hardware.

Return to Live Production