ATEM and Audio Control Panel Hardware

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Scott Smith

ATEM and Audio Control Panel Hardware

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 9:47 pm

I am considering getting an audio control surface to control the ATEM's audio channels. I know you can get real funky in just macros and create all kinds of stuff, and use lots of extra buttons for switching and such. But my ATEMs go out in the field with people who would probably not do well at handling JustMacros. I am really looking to just control audio with it, and go with the "Keep It Simple, Stupid" frame of mind.

How well do they work straight up through the ATEM software? Work well on Mac? Any preferred models that seem to work best? Fairly Plug and Play, or is there some significant setup? Setup every time? Or once set, hopefully stays put?

I'm currently considering the Behringer X-TOUCH COMPACT.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ntrol.html

Anyone have experience with this panel with any thoughts?

Thanks . . .
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Baz

Re: ATEM and Audio Control Panel Hardware

PostThu Sep 15, 2016 10:48 pm

i use the Behringer BCF2000. Works well. In fact I connect 2 of them to give me control of the first 16 faders but you can switch between banks of 8 just using 1 BCF2000.

baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Scott Smith

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 12:28 am

Thanks, Baz.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Scott Smith

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 12:33 am

While I'm at it, does anyone know of any audio mixers (that aren't too expensive) that has both analog audio mic inputs as well as the Mackie Control USB MIDI that can control the ATEM? I'd love a unit that could both control discrete audio as well as the software audio, simultaneously.
Scott R Smith

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 9:38 am

What do you want to achieve with the ATEM audio? If you are mixing microphones then it's preferable to avoid the atem mixer and just use an external audio desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Scott Smith

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Versatility. I use these in the field. Sometimes I do discrete audio. Sometimes I use embedded. Sometimes I use discrete audio for my main audio, but use nat sound embedded from cameras. Sometimes I have videos I play from Hyperdeck shuttles that don't have a discrete audio output. It all depends on the layout of the shoot and the audio needs. If I am 400 yards away from the cameras, I'm running fiber, and will probably go embedded. If it's a single guy at a nearby podium or interview type stuff, I'll use discrete audio, but might still want NAT sound from a camera. In the field, you rarely have a setup that works for every scenario. It would be convenient to have a console that could control both discrete audio feeds and the software at the same time. There is a behringer unit I found that will, but it is $1800, and I am hesitant to spend that much on this. I am hoping to find something that will do it for no more than around $700. At $1800, I will probably end up bringing two separate audio consoles. But at $700, I'm getting a new console. In between, who knows?
Scott R Smith

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 2:28 pm

The Yamaha 01v96 has a fader layer for remote control of a DAW, it sends MIDI commands on this layer. Not sure if it can control the ATEM but its worth a look, check chapter 17 of the user guide. You would probably need a computer in between to do the connection. I even know of someone with a nice used one in a case that might let it go for around $800 (wink wink)... :-)

If anyone does get these to talk to each other would love some info...like most of us too busy lately to get into this.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Scott Smith

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Hmmm. I have an older 01V already. Not sure if it has the style control necessary. Or as you pointed out, if it will control an ATEM at all.

Also considering the BCF2000 that Baz mentioned in combination with maybe a Behringer XS18. This combo keeps me within a reasonable budget and has control of analog and software - but I'm not sure if it will be mappable to simultaneously doing ATEM on some faders and the XS18 on other faders. Any thoughts?
Scott R Smith

Scott Smith

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 3:31 pm

My issue is that we only use our ATEMs in the field, and have no clue who might be running them, or what the needs will be from shoot to shoot. Sometimes we have interns operating stuff. I have to have setups that are pretty easy to figure out, bordering on idiot proof, while still remaining versatile. So I need products that are easy to configure, simple to operate, but can do many different scenarios.

Speaking of that . . . how well does Just Macros fit into that simple but versatile, idiot-resistant scheme? It always looks pretty complex in the videos. But is it something that I can set up some preset basic configurations, then an intern could operate it in the field? I've been hesitant to go there for this reason - and for the reason that we are 99% Mac based, and it requires a PC. If it was also Mac compatible, I would have at least tried it out by now, and seen for myself.
Scott R Smith

Scott Smith

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 12:22 am

Update. I got the Behringer X-Touch Compact, and am happy to report that it works very well with ATEM and Mac. You must first set it to MC mode (Mackie control), but it then keeps that setting thereafter. Happy with the purchase.
Scott R Smith

Pedro Ruiz Mateos

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 9:33 am

Very thanks
Pedro Ruiz Mateos
ATEM Constellation 8k, 2M/E, HD.
ATEM Studio HD, ATEM mini, mini Extreme.
2 Ursa Brodcast G2, 1 Ursa Brodcast G1, 6 Studio 4K PRO, 6 Studio HD, 4 Micro Studio 4k G1 & G2, etc.

Torbjörn Lindström

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 6:49 am

Found this quite interesting. So the Behringer X-touch will control the Atem software control built in audio mixer? Does it work on Windows too?

Skickat från min Nexus 6P via Tapatalk

Scott Smith

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 6:43 pm

It should work well on Windows - though I personally haven't tested it. Since Just Macros is windows based, you could actually get a TON more functionality using it on Windows with Just Macros. You could probably map the extra buttons to turn it into a hardware switcher for video, if you wanted. I am using the X-Touch Compact, but they have a slightly bigger version with more buttons that should expand the capabilities if used in conjunction with Just Macros on Windows. Should. I don't know from personal experience.

I am Mac based, so do not have those option without significant changes. But yes, it worked very easily for me on Mac, and controlled the ATEM audio channels very well. No more switching tabs in the software to get to my audio channels.
Scott R Smith

ThomasMundrucz

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 1:13 am

Hi!

Would you just briefly explain the method of connecting them?
I would be interested in the technical solution you used!
Thanks

Thomas

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Looking at buying either the Behringer x-Touch or Mackei MCU Pro. do they still work under Resolve 15 now that BM has released the Fairlight panels? Also how much functionality do they have with Resolve other than the transport controls and sliders? How well do the transport controls work. Also someone a while back had said they are not being recognize in Resolve Linux. Anyone know if this is still true?

Thanks
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Ben Doyle

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 3:43 am

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone is using an XTouch (which model) with the newer TV Studio Pro 4K? If so, can you tell me if you have to have an accompanying computer to make USB connections, or can you connect directly to the switcher with USB or Ethernet connections? Thanks!

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 5:05 am

pretty sure that any MIDI surface would have to send its commands via USB to the ATEM software, which in turn controls the ATEM audio faders. I have a X-touch i can experiment with this coming week.

Personally I find the ATEM audio very lacking, and prefer to mix externally. For what an X-touch costs you can buy a Behringer XR16 which gives you SOOOOO much more capability. I'll post back anyway to see what and how it works. Stay tuned...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 4:00 pm

So I have the X-Touch (not mini, not compact, not ONE, it's the biggest model with scribble strips and jog wheel) controlling the ATEM audio faders this morning. As I suspected, the x-touch has to be connected to the computer running the ATEM software via USB. You also have to configure the x-touch to use Mackie control mode (MC) over USB. It supports many other configs (midi, network) but this was the only one that seemed to work. You can control the ATEM faders as long as the ATEM software is running and connected to the ATEM, but you do not have to have the audio page displayed. Since this control passes through the ATEM software, I would expect this functionality exists for all ATEM models. I only have the 2M/E, 1M/E4k, and 4M/E 4k models to test with, all 3 of these models work.

I see that the TVS pro 4k has the upgraded fairlight audio, which adds sorely needed dynamics and EQ. There is still only one mixing bus and that I find very limiting. I almost always am in need of several mixes for a show. The main mix for PGM, maybe a secondary mix for recording/archive, and another mix to satisfy commentators. I also frequently need unique mixes for ISO recorders. Options for audio delay (because delay on an input channel usually isn't where you need it) and more inputs/mic preamps are all easy situations for an external mixer. If the ATEM audio works for you then fine, but I guess I feel it has a LOOONG way to go before I'd be happy with it.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Ben Doyle

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks for your tests. I've got the TVSP4K switcher and apparently there is an issue with audio controllers.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80873

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Leave it to BlackMagic... :roll:
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

mmccarthy00

PostFri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am

Anyone else have any experiences using the Behringer X-Touch Compact with Atem TV Studio Pro 4K? I'm interested to know if the AFV, ON, and Solo buttons are mapped. We have several channels configured as dual-mono - how does the X-Touch map the faders? I know most prefer to use an external mixer, but we have a specific application that relies heavily on macros to automate many aspects of our productions including audio. Other aspects of production need tactile manual audio control. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 1:40 am

U can use Just macros to control audio .. im using small xtouch mini , to control ATEM with JUST MACROS .. U can program , what do U need in Just Macros ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Alexander Kinov

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 12:47 pm

Hello, I want to make my life a bit easier by controlling the level of few audio sources, using ATEM's internal audio mixer and external hardware MIDI controller.
I found this link:

The infiormation looks clear, the device is nice and good for my budget. The only problem is how to connect the MIDI controller to the ATEM.
Currently I found app for MAC, but it is not good for me, as all our gear is Windows based.
I found app for Windows called BMDSwitcherMIDIMapper.
I made some test and it works fine. The problem is - using this app, I can only map finctions like program source, preview source, fade to black, crossfader, etc. I can't controll the audio levels.

Is there any other option or app I can use? Thanks.

My current setup includes ATEM TV studio HD. I also use MIDI keyboard M-Audio Radium 49. The app detects all MIDI signals from the keyboard, including all the 9 faders and all the 8 rotating knobs. I already ordered Korg nanoKONTROL2 (the one used in the video).

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 4:33 pm

Why don't you just buy that panel from the video?? Every midi panel that support MACKIE control mode. Will be compatible with the Atem software audio panel.

There is nothing to configure. Atem software ingests MACKIE midi protocol and maps this over the Audio controls. ;)

So get that controller in MACKIE mode and be sure in the Setup of Atem the Midi mode is not disabled and there you go.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Alexander Kinov

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Why don't you just buy that panel from the video??

I've already ordered that panel. But before it arrives I wanted to play a bit and the only MIDI controller I had here was my old MIDI keyboard. I guess the KORG panel will work fine while the ATEM software control is open. Problem is, during production I may need to open something else on my laptop (and I can't bring separate laptop just to control 2 faders), so I was trying to find solution that will work in the background, while something else is working on the laptop.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 1:29 am

Nano Control have not Mackie Control mode ?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 10:33 am

Roman Pytkin Pekarek wrote:Nano Control have not Mackie Control mode ?

The NanoKontrol 2 does.

Taken from another forum::
Yes, you can use Mackie Mode. Actually there is a sequence of keys to press and hold on the NanoKontrol to make it output Mackie mode. See the NanoKontrol manual/quickstart for that information.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

David Claverie

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 10:58 am

i have some avid euphonix
compatible with atem software?
BMD Atem Constellation 8K
BMD Atem 2 M/E Advanced panel 20
BMD Atem 1 M/E Production Studio 4K
BMD Atem Television strudio Pro 4K
BMD Atem Control Camera Panel
BMD Camera mini URSA
BMD Camera 6K
BMD Studio camera 4K
BMD Studio Converter

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 11:03 am

David Claverie wrote:i have some avid euphonix
compatible with atem software?

Check the Manual.. If it has a Mackie mode. it will.. But in your case i wonder how it will work out. The panels are not able to MAP channels. So you will get the first 8 faders :cry:

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 12:00 am

Euphonix hardware use EUCON protocol .. over ethernet .. Its not compatible with Mackie Control Protocol I think ..

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu Nov 28, 2019 12:01 am

One of the cheapest and usable controler is ICON :

https://www.thomann.de/intl/icon_platform_m.htm

Andrew D'eon

PostTue May 05, 2020 3:47 pm

well after a wait to find one for a good price i finnaly got my behringer BCF 2000 installed it and voila works out of box with atem, takes some getting used to the layers for my Production studio 4k 2me as there are 20 inputs plus the xlr, rca and mp1 and mp2 the fact that fader 8 reamins active as the master is great, i am researching to see if i can remap the faders to give me more control

MambaFiber.com

PostTue May 05, 2020 4:48 pm

IIRC, the preset < > buttons slide the faders over to the next 8 in the software...if not there's an equivalent somewhere that does it. I'll have to dig mine out of the garage if you can't figure it out.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue May 05, 2020 10:39 pm

Yes there are 2 buttons to swith in banks (+8, -8) and 2 buttons for swithing by channels (-1,+1) ..
BTW : BCF2000 have very loud faders ..

watchourwedding

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Andrew D'eon wrote:well after a wait to find one for a good price i finnaly got my behringer BCF 2000 installed it and voila works out of box with atem, takes some getting used to the layers for my Production studio 4k 2me as there are 20 inputs plus the xlr, rca and mp1 and mp2 the fact that fader 8 reamins active as the master is great, i am researching to see if i can remap the faders to give me more control

Hi Andrew i got a Korg NanoKontrol to try with my Atem mini to control the Fairlight mixer - every time you operate a fader it switches the AFV on plus you can only satisfactorily use one fader at a time. So this is no good for me. How does it perform with the BCF2000? I can't be doing with any macros or custom programming i just want it work - please let me know :-)

JohanNiklasson

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 8:26 am

XTouch Mini from Behringer.

Just got it today. Plugged it in and put it in MC mode (Mackie).

It does control ATEM Software Control. The knobs control PAN. The fader control PRG audio Master.

That it does control the ATEM Mini Pro is great. Now I need to map the controls so that the knobs control the volume instead of the PAN (controlling PAN is relatively useless for me - it is the dB I want to control for my different sources and a mic).

Does anyone know how to tweak the mapping on a Mac? I do have code editors and can read code but I do not know where the file is and what to change.

Any information, link or ideas are very welcome.

Best Regards
Johan Niklasson

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 11:40 pm

Check the mapping :

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 00.38.52.png
Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 00.38.52.png (540.21 KiB) Viewed 12894 times

There is buttons to change VPOTS function .. Maybe TRACK is volume ?

Dave Taylor 13

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 7:43 pm

So this has me thinking about getting the XTouch Mini from Behringer.

One question is, what do I plug it in to? The computer running ATEM Software Control? Or into the ATEM itself?

Thibaud

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 9:54 pm

Still hoping Blackmagic will build one someday

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 10:41 pm

Dave : U must connect it to computer with Atem Software control software .. And this controller in MC mode control AUDIO mixer in app ..

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 10:42 pm

Thibaud wrote:Still hoping Blackmagic will build one someday

I hope , that BMD create some basic audio routing possibilities in new ATEMs .. like AUX send original audio from input .. More audio tracks on ATEM PGM output .. ETC , ETC ..

Joseph Villegas

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 1:21 am

I use my setup in the "old way"
No computer involved, Atem 1 M/E production studio 4k + Atem 1 M/E broadcast panel + Hyperdeck studio 2
Is there a way to control the Atem internal audio mixer with some LAN connected hardware?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 2:13 pm

Joseph Villegas wrote:I use my setup in the "old way"
No computer involved, Atem 1 M/E production studio 4k + Atem 1 M/E broadcast panel + Hyperdeck studio 2
Is there a way to control the Atem internal audio mixer with some LAN connected hardware?

Supposedly you can control the ATEM audio mixer using some of the Fairlight control panels, but these can get pretty expensive (and bulky) for a full setup, so I'm not sure how practical that is for most configurations.

You might also take a look at the Skaarhoj Wave Board which has a built-in Ethernet port and supports ATEM audio control: https://www.skaarhoj.com/product/wave-board

Joseph Villegas

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 2:00 pm

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:
Joseph Villegas wrote:I use my setup in the "old way"

Supposedly you can control the ATEM audio mixer using some of the Fairlight control panels, but these can get pretty expensive (and bulky) for a full setup, so I'm not sure how practical that is for most configurations.

You might also take a look at the Skaarhoj Wave Board which has a built-in Ethernet port and supports ATEM audio control: https://www.skaarhoj.com/product/wave-board

Thank you!

Dave Taylor 13

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 10:00 pm

[quote="JohanNiklasson"]XTouch Mini from Behringer.
Now I need to map the controls so that the knobs control the volume instead of the PAN (controlling PAN is relatively useless for me - it is the dB I want to control for my different sources and a mic).

Johan, did you ever find a way to have the x-touch knobs control volume instead of pan? I'm in the same situation.

Any tips for remapping would be useful; from either a Mac or Windows. Thanks!

Tarek Saneh

PostSun Jan 09, 2022 9:59 pm

Hi all, i want to buy the behringer xtouch (the big one) i want to know if anyone is using it and if the level meters are working, coz this is the only difference with the old xtouch bcf2000
Thx in advance
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

Tarek Saneh

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 1:57 pm

Anyone please
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

pllsystem

PostFri Jul 14, 2023 10:29 pm

Anyone using any kind of midi controller that can controls audio channels when those are split to separate mono?

Return to Live Production