Processing on/off switch. SDI to Analog Mini Converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

daninoise

Processing on/off switch. SDI to Analog Mini Converter

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Hello,
Just bought a Mini Converter SDI to Analog.
What does the "Processing on/Processing off" switch 1 stands for?
There is also a printed instruction: "Toggle processing switch to step through down converter mode"
Thanks
Daniel Fontrodona

Jeff Hartman

Re: Processing on/off switch. SDI to Analog Mini Converter

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Funny: I just encountered that several days ago myself.

This switch controls the behavior of the built-in downconverter. With the processing switch turned off, the format of the analog video coming out will mirror the format of the SDI video going in: for instance, if you give it 720p in, you will get 720p out. If you have the processing switch turned on, the box will downconvert the input to a standard definition signal, e.g., NTSC or PAL.

The "toggle" part of this means that every time you turn the switch back off and on, it will change how the downconversion is done: it will cycle among the different options, including anamorphic squeeze, center-cut, and possibly letterbox (I needed center-cut and stopped there).

You can set up your converter by watching the output video while changing the switches, or if you hook up the converter to a computer, you can see the processing options change in the Converter Utility software. Don't forget: even though the USB cable appears to power the converter -- a light will come on -- you still need to have the regular adapter power connected as well.

The bottom line is this: if you are looking to force the video to a particular format, keep flipping the switch off and on until you get the format you need, then leave the switch on. The box remembers the setup even after power is removed (I checked).

One last tip: if you're trying to generate analog composite video (NTSC or PAL), don't forget to turn on switch 5 too -- otherwise you'll get only a black-and-white image.

Regards,

-- Jeff

lotech

Re: Processing on/off switch. SDI to Analog Mini Converter

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Another example of things that should covered in a manual or FAQ on the official Blackmagic page. Thanks though - I have been wondering the same thing.

Return to Live Production