Fullscreen View of Live-Signal via Ultrastudio Express???

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

neoCine

Fullscreen View of Live-Signal via Ultrastudio Express???

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Hey there,

I am a DIT and just bought a Ultrastudio Express to see the live video of a video camera (Alexa) on my MBP Retina for focus checking. Unfortunatly the only working solution until now is using wirecast. The bad thing is the delay the program is giving.
Does anybody know another possibillity of having a fullscreen liveview via Ultrastudio?
Also testet Davinci, Premiere, Final Cut and Media Express but everyone has a small window for capture.

Thanks in forward!!

Regards.

Holger

Tom_Bassford

Re: Fullscreen View of Live-Signal via Ultrastudio Express??

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 4:18 pm

VLC
or a custom quartzcomposer composition would do it.

FWIW the retina display is not high enough resolution to display the Alexa output pixel for pixel, so focusing by this method will be a bit hit and miss. Get oldschool with a tape measure and experienced focus puller!
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

neoCine

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Unfortunatly VLC always opens the Facetime cam, also the blackmagic is listed.
Of cause there is an experienced Focus Puller who also uses a cine tape measure. But as everybody knows there are situations e.g. in digital S35 times, when a focus puller has a hard knock life. So I am doing a live quality check.
But this wasnt the question. The Retina Display features enough resolution for Alexa especially because this is a prores production in 1080p.

Has some one else a helping solution?

Thanks so much.

Regards.

Gregg Bond

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 12:39 am

Best guess would be you need something like Adobe's OnLocation (nee DVRack from Serious Magic) as what you want is monitoring, not recording, which is what the UltraStudio Express was designed for.

Its possibly worth your time looking at the Ultrascope range which is probably more suited to what you are doing.

FWIW you may well be able to use the Ultrascope software with the UltraStudio, but I suspect the answer will be "No".

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 5:21 am

On a similar topic but different item, full screen video within the Blackmagic Express software would be awesome. If I have a quad or octa projector design being blended on the computer (no hardware blending) and I want to display a 3G SDI source on the screen, I have to do some funky 3G-SDI to DVI adapting with a DVI capture card to make it happen. Too many points of failure. Would be great to be able to take a 3G-SDI or Fiber input in to a system directly and have it display full screen. That would then scale across all of the blended projectors without having to move to an external blend solution.

Quick edit... For those wondering what the heck I'm doing, here is a public image of the screen we're broadcasting on. This is just under 4k resolution driven by 4 projectors.
It does span wall to wall but we don't have all of our interfaces online for this particular shot. You get the idea though.
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

neoCine

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 5:54 am

Ultrascope software is not working with Ultrastudio. But you are right, this is more what I am looking for in this case. Of cause my thoughts were having both: monitoring an input signal for live quality check and monitoring in davinci resolve for (on set) Color Correction.
Actually a modified Media Express could be a compact macbook driven video assist (like qtake).

Someone interessted in developing this :)

Christoph Tilley

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 8:54 pm

http://www.divergentmedia.com/scopebox

Using it this way with my Ultrastudio 3D:
Frontal_comp_01_ipad.jpg
Frontal_comp_01_ipad.jpg (253.55 KiB) Viewed 5142 times

neoCine

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks. That is pretty much what I was looking for. Great tool.

Regards.

Holger

Return to Live Production