Teranex Mini IP Video 12G

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Phil Hadfield

Teranex Mini IP Video 12G

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Has anyone got any of these units?

I am just wandering what the latency is like on these boxes.

If you have the 10G module installed can you use the 1G port to connect to another device. (Acting like a Switch).

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Teranex Mini IP Video 12G

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Hello Phil. the latency is 35 lines in Low Latency Mode. It is 2 frames in Clean Switch Mode. Only one port can be used at a time. Hope that is helpful.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Phil Hadfield

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:24 pm

What bandwidth do the IP streams use

1.5G SDI = IP
3G SDI = IP
6G SDI = IP
12G SDI = IP

Also if you could use the other port this would allow network control of the endpoint Device (Projector / Camera)

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Hello Phil. We use 4:1 Tico compression on everything.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Phil Hadfield

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Phil. We use 4:1 Tico compression on everything.

Regards, Gary

Are you looking at creating a hdmi to ip module? Does the IP module work with multicast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Fairley

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 10:47 pm

Yes, it works with multicast. There's a section on it in the Teranex manual (iirc) that is very informative.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Chris Watling

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Phil Hadfield wrote:
Are you looking at creating a hdmi to ip module? Does the IP module work with multicast?

+1 on this question please. Is this IP range going to be extended to include HDMI?

If so, I'm hoping it would include an in and out port on each unit so that all units can be changed between source/destination.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 pm

We will take this as a feature request.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 12:31 pm

The prototype was based on the Optical to HDMI unit. See here a photo of the video where Grant Patty announched the IP unit.

I wish you could buy a license or upgrade the firmware to inco-oporate this on the the whole Optical series of the teranex.

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Chris Watling

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Gary Adams wrote:We will take this as a feature request.

Thanks Gary! While we're on feature requests then... if these units also had the ability to enable the 1G Ethernet network (for utility usage) whilst running the main video via fibre... you'd be really pushing the competition... This would allow an extra network sitting on top which could be used for all manner of connections - source and display control, ptz cameras, etc.

Presuming TICO leaves enough headroom within the 10G bandwidth of course.

Many thanks!

Chris Watling

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Are BlackMagic able to confirm whether the PTP clock on a network installation is an absolute requirement or just a recommendation? If it's a recommendation, what are the possible effects of not having this feature on the network switch?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Hello Chris. The PTP clock is not absolutely necessary. Without one, it may take some time, maybe up to a couple of minutes for the signal to lock in the system. This is not image latency but time when the signal is attached before it is locked. Having the PTP clock is highly recommended.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Chris Watling

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks for the quick response Gary. Would this apply to the first unit in a videohub only - to establish itself as the master, or all subsequent units connected? and sources only? - I presume once they're on the system, they're on, so to speak and you can then switch at will? The PTP clock seems to be a tricky feature to specify on a switch - we're talking to a few manufacturers and it's one of the more elusive features.

Many thanks again

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Without the clock any connections will be slow. When moving forward in an IP infrastructure, the PTP clock is going to be quite necessary and is defined by SMPTE. The clock only has to come from one unit in the network like a router. Doesn't need to be in every switch. But in the short term just be patient when connecting a signal.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Chris Watling

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 12:12 am

Interesting stuff Gary - I've been reading up on the new SMPTE standards (2110). Is there a new release in the pipeline for BM due to this new standard? Is this the kind of thing that can be firmware updated in the current form of the Teranex mini or does it require a new chipset?

StephenDeNunzio

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Has anyone got these units working. Im not an IT guy so forgive me if my question is stupid haha. I have 3 IP Video to 12G Teranex Mini's. I had 2 of them working, then I changed something and none of them work now lol. I am connecting them all to a Gigabit switch but im afraid I may have changed some IP address or something. Would someone be kind enough to walk me through this, maybe the dummy version? I turned the Wifi off on my laptop (MacBook Pro) and connected to the switch with a Cat5 Cable. What should the settings be? I dont know what a Subnet Mask is so im not sure if that should be corresponding with the units or not. Like I said, I basically know nothing about IT. Help would be very much appreciated. I spent 2hrs on the phone with Blackmagic support and we couldn't figure it out. Thanks in advance!

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 6:45 am

I'd say, adding hdmi in/out ports to the existing product would be the best solution

Chris Watling

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi Gary, I hope you're still watching this thread, I have a couple more questions about the clock I'm afraid!

We've spec'd a switch that supports PTP transparent clock (end to end) but only that, i.e. it contains no grand master clock itself and does not support ordinary or boundary clock features. Are you able to confirm if this is sufficient to work with the Teranex units, where the first connected device becomes the master clock and the others sync quickly as slaves?

Many thanks

Chris

Bryce Guinan

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Chris Watling wrote:Hi Gary, I hope you're still watching this thread, I have a couple more questions about the clock I'm afraid!

We've spec'd a switch that supports PTP transparent clock (end to end) but only that, i.e. it contains no grand master clock itself and does not support ordinary or boundary clock features. Are you able to confirm if this is sufficient to work with the Teranex units, where the first connected device becomes the master clock and the others sync quickly as slaves?

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes, in the case above, if theres no grandmaster capable clock available on the network. One of the Teranex Mini IP Video units will act as a grandmaster.
For it to work you will need to set up your switch correctly. You can extrapolate the details from Page 36 of the Teranex Mini IP Video Manual.

daniele.pagnoni@gmail.com

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi,
anyone can help me to setup 2 teranex ip in my net?

My net:

-Cisco SG300
-n1 teranex mini ip----I set it as "source" my TX (" jumper 1 " is down and by usb cable software show me it is right set up as "source"

-n1 teranex mini ip----I set it as "destination" my RX (" jumper 1 " is up and by usb cable software show me it is right set up as "destination"

I try to work in dhcp and also static ip....but no way to work----no sdi signal from RX

After a lot of attempts....now when I connect ethernet to TX my net go crazy (everything go slowly and internet can't work)

Thanks in advance to anyone will help me

PS I wrote to blk magic support on friday but no answer

Chris Watling

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi Daniele.
To my knowledge it sounds like you've got a problem with IGMP (multicast) not working properly or at all. Could you check that these features are enabled on your switch?

These services will allow items to subscribe to the transmission stream (sender box) rather than the data being sent out to all ports - which is what would most likely cause your problem where all data is interrupted on the network.

Chris Watling

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:03 am

Bryce Guinan wrote:
...if theres no grandmaster capable clock available on the network. One of the Teranex Mini IP Video units will act as a grandmaster.
For it to work you will need to set up your switch correctly. You can extrapolate the details from Page 36 of the Teranex Mini IP Video Manual.

I have E2E enabled on my switch, but all connected IP Video 12G units are registering as the master clock. When I plug in a new unit, it shows PTP 'listening' for a short while, then sets itself to master. This tells me that they are not receiving any PTP messages from the other units.

This appears to be causing a problem with the video signal dropping out on destination units every minute or so as it resynchronises (though this could be a misdiagnosis/incorrect assumption on my part).

So two questions, would non-functioning PTP result in these kind of behaviour (brief drops of signal)?

and can you give me any information on how PTP is implemented by the units in the absence of a separate grandmaster clock? The details on page 35 of the manual are specifically for configuring a standalone grandmaster clock, are there any specific switch configurations that I need to be aware of?

Many thanks

timburton

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi all,

I have around 30x of the IP Video boxes, spread across 3 sites with a Cisco Nexus based WAN between them. We have the L3 multicast working well, and can see the stream on the multicast RP and the IGMP working well to initiate the LAN to LAN routing.

We do however have issues with intermittent drops of connection, and are looking to put a dedicated PTP GM in place.

Is there (or could there be) an engineering menu where we can see realtime status and potentially logs of what's going on with the boxes?

Tim
Magenta Broadcast

Chris Watling

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Tim,

I've been using Wireshark and port mirroring to keep an eye on what communication is going on between the boxes, trying to diagnose my issues. PTP messages can certainly be seen this way which may help you? The PTP status of each box (listening, master, slave etc.) can only be seen when you have a smart panel attached which is an annoyance in a large network.

I have a similar number of boxes here running on a 10G LAN, but am having problems with the IGMP configuration, my mrouter port(s) (including the computer running the videohub control software) are getting flooded with the video data which is causing a number of problems. Would you be willing to share the details of your setup (switch configurations etc.)? I'm trying to get detailed network config info from BMD but information so far is sparse.

I did have an intermittent dropout issue previously which I thought may be a PTP issue, but turned out to be IGMP snooping issuing unwanted leave messages every minute or so. I ended up diagnosing this in my switch's configuration when I noticed that the leave message counter would increase by one with each 'drop out'.

Very best

Chris

Gemini

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 9:30 am

So
I've installed 20 of this Devices Yesterday at a Customers Network and some issues i wanna send back to Blackmagic and share with you guys.
Haven't found any of this Informations in the Manuel or Internet.. Firmware: 7.0.1 (newest at this time)

PTP: They do PTPv2. Nice. But they do it on Layer2 Base, so the Packets don't have an IP Header, only a Mac Adress. So it's not possible to clock them with a normal PTP Master, beacause PTPv2 is normally on IP base. Of course a Meinberg 6'000 Dollar Masterclock can also do it on Mac Adress Based, but does not make sense in a mixed Network beacause all the other Devices will do it on Layer 3 (IP).
They also use Clock Domain 127 which should be changeable in a advanced Menu. Normally we use 0
But it works without external PTP Master: One of the Devices will become the Master.
Decided by BMCA, you can not influence it.
Disconnecting the Master is fluently. We don't know yet how many Slaves a Master can serve.
Blackmagic: Please update this in future FIrmware. Thank you

Multicast:
They send their Streams as 2 Multicasts. 1 Stream for Audio, 1 for Video. (Same Multicast Adress, Different Port). They use the last 2 Digits of the Ip. So the Device has 123.123.456.789 as IP, it will use 239.255.456.789 as Multicast (which you can not change). TTL is 255. Nice

IGMP: They send their Streams as Multicast. Nice. The Receiver also sends IGMP Joins (v2).
BUT:!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Sender does not register the Streams. They will only get registered when a receiver receives it. So in a normal IGMP Network which forwards Unregistered Multicast to Everybody, Streams get Forwarded to Everybody till a Receiver receives it. This is definitly a Mistake in the Firmware. Blackmagic please update. We did the workaround and manually registered all the multicast Ip Adresses in our IGMP Process. Not nice but worked.

Discovery: The Use IP 224.2.127.254. They send the IGMP Join for it as well. Nice.

QOS: They use DSCP 40 for Audio and Video. Would be nice to have 2 Different Values but at least they've putted a value in it.

Bandwith: They uses 630Mbit per Signal. But i'am not Shure anymore what we've used as Input Signal. Maybe 1080p or 1080i.

Jacob Abramson

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks for the update, I've been trying to track down an issue with Unifi switches where the multicast stream drops after a period of time (I've found the timeout setting, which can be adjusted, but I can't set it to infinite). It appears that the BMD equipment isn't sending followup IGMP join/status requests to keep the multicast session alive (which based on your findings, kind of makes sense up).
Equipment In Use:
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K
ATEM Production Studio 4K
ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel
HyperDeck Studio Pro 4k
HyperDeck Studio
Teranex 2d
Teranex Express
MultiView 16
DeckLink Quad
Pocket Cinema Camera
Video Assist 4k

Gemini

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 7:38 pm

You've got the IGMP Querier enabled? IGMP Time out is by default 125 Seconds. Requests needs to be triggered by the IGMP Querier

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Dec 27, 2019 11:35 am

Gemini wrote:Bandwith: They uses 630Mbit per Signal. But i'am not Shure anymore what we've used as Input Signal. Maybe 1080p or 1080i.

considering they're using TICO 1/4 compression, I'd say you were using a 3G signal in, which is 1080p(50|59.94)

Rich_D

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 7:55 pm

Is FEC used on the IP stream, and if so what type; e.g. SMPTE 2022-x?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 12:27 am

I believe Tico uses SMPTE 2022-6 to send SDI video streams over an IP network:
https://www.tico-alliance.org/technology

SMPTE 2022-6 uses SMPTE 2022-5 forward error correction (FEC), although I believe SMPTE 2022-6 imposes some additional constraints on how the 2022-5 FEC is used. This is mentioned a bit in this SMPTE presentation on the various 2022 standards:
https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/fil ... andout.pdf

Rich_D

PostWed Aug 12, 2020 4:23 pm

In the SMPTE presentation slides, I noticed on the first 2022-6 slide, SDI over RTP, the second bullet states that PT=98 for 2022-6, PT=99 for 2022-5 FEC.
Does this mean that 2022-5 can be turned on and off, and if so then does the Blackmagic IP Video 12G have this bit turned on to implement 2022-5? This is very important to us as we will be transporting the IP stream from the Blackmagic IP Video 12G over an RF link, and this will require FEC.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Aug 13, 2020 4:16 am

Rich_D wrote:In the SMPTE presentation slides, I noticed on the first 2022-6 slide, SDI over RTP, the second bullet states that PT=98 for 2022-6, PT=99 for 2022-5 FEC.
Does this mean that 2022-5 can be turned on and off, and if so then does the Blackmagic IP Video 12G have this bit turned on to implement 2022-5? This is very important to us as we will be transporting the IP stream from the Blackmagic IP Video 12G over an RF link, and this will require FEC.
Yes, judging from the SMPTE 2022-6 specs, SMPTE 2022-5 FEC does indeed seem to be an optional feature of 2022-6 transmission.

There are some other TICO products that specifically mention that they support the optional FEC features:
https://www.deltacast.tv/products/devel ... 022-6-tico
But this doesn't seem to be well documented for the Teranex IP units.

So it's probably best to get in touch with Blackmagic support directly as they should be able to consult with their engineers to determine exactly what was implemented in the Teranex Mini IP Video products.

Return to Live Production