ATEM Television Studio HD Audio Static/White Noise

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Callen Magnuson

ATEM Television Studio HD Audio Static/White Noise

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 pm

I have several ATEM Television Studio HD switchers I manage, and one of them has white noise/static that overpowers everything. I've narrowed it down to the XLR inputs on the back, and the static is heard whether or not anything is plugged into them.

Restarting the switcher by pulling the power in the back will make the issue go away for a while, but it will come back after a few days. Has anybody else had this issue? Is there a fix or do I need to send the hardware in?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM Television Studio HD Audio Static/White Noise

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 10:03 pm

Have you tried different XLR cabling to the back of the unit? Also, if it's possible, try swapping the ATEMs with each other and see if the issue follows the unit or is just a particular connection.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Callen Magnuson

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Have you tried different XLR cabling to the back of the unit? Also, if it's possible, try swapping the ATEMs with each other and see if the issue follows the unit or is just a particular connection.

I believe this is a defective ATEM unit. swapped with known good cabling, and the issue surfaced again. Also swapped the switcher with another and the issue followed the ATEM switcher.

The unit also reset to default settings over the weekend. Unknown what the cause would be for that.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 8:59 pm

If you haven't already, get in contact with the support offices and they can assist you with any further troubleshooting that may be possible and if need be, could set up the unit being sent in to us.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Matt Arnold

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 7:01 pm

We purchased approx 40 of these exact units and are experiencing the same problem you describe here with the white noise... This is occurring on about 10 of the 40 units as far as we understand thus far. What was your resolution to this, Callen?

Callen Magnuson

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 10:22 pm

Matt Arnold wrote:We purchased approx 40 of these exact units and are experiencing the same problem you describe here with the white noise... This is occurring on about 10 of the 40 units as far as we understand thus far. What was your resolution to this, Callen?

I RMA'd the unit.

Matt Arnold

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Callen Magnuson wrote:
Matt Arnold wrote:We purchased approx 40 of these exact units and are experiencing the same problem you describe here with the white noise... This is occurring on about 10 of the 40 units as far as we understand thus far. What was your resolution to this, Callen?

I RMA'd the unit.

The RMA resolved the issue for you? I guess I got a LOT of RMA'ing to do :shock:

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Matt Arnold wrote:The RMA resolved the issue for you?

Hi Matt, we should be having a support agent reaching out to you regarding this. Keep an eye out for an email/phone call.

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

truffin2499

PostTue May 05, 2020 5:19 am

Did this problem ever get resolved. I'm having the same issue. During lives streams, my ATEM will all of a sudden hiss, and we have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work. Please, can someone help?

Paul Foxton

PostSun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 pm

I'm having exactly this problem, it just started today. Constant level of white nose showing up in OBS and audible over headphone monitoring.

If I disable the XLR inputs in the audio menu on the ATEM, the noise stops.

Is this a known problem with the ATEM TV studio switches?

Fexa_82

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 9:13 pm

Same problem here. Often coincidences with some level peaks coming over XLR, after a crash whole sound is dead and unit has to be restarted.

Peter Burns

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 2:26 am

Also have the same issue. I assume it's a hardware defect and cannot be fixed without sending off for repair?

5gearstudios

PostThu Aug 06, 2020 5:13 pm

We have the exact same problem. During a Live-Stream show yesterday, we were sending a board feed through the XLRs, which we have done many times before, suddenly, for no reason, white static noise started coming through on one channel. We were unable to reset the unit as we were in a live stream, and could not make the problem go away. Coincidentally (or not?) we had an audio level peak and the problem started. This was mentioned by user Fexa_82 on this thread.

revjeff97

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 3:23 pm

We had the same problem this morning. We come into the switcher from the board using XLR. The switcher would randomly only send out static. We would unplug the switcher and then it would produce sound again until it decided to switch to static again. Happened a good 8 or 9 times.

molleurd

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 pm

I'm having a similar problem. Audio is coming from our main mixer via XLR inputs to the ATEM. My production SDI is going out to an AJA splitter (feeding to computer/OBS/Facebook, an ATEM Mini Pro for direct YouTube feed, and a third split to my TVs located in the nurseries/lobby). My auxiliary output from the ATEM TV Studio 4K is going to an AJA splitter which splits it to my three sanctuary EIKI projectors.

Livestream audio to Facebook and YouTube is great! Audio to TVs and Projectors has static/white noise (along with mixer audio). Side note...all of the SDI cables pass through BM converters (SDI to USB or SDI to HDMI).

Any ideas? My TVs are useless (video is great, audio is unbearable). EIKI projectors are useable as a display-only device (audio muted).

UPDATE: Just tested the "unplug ATEM approach" to solving issue and it worked! Don't know for how long but the static disappeared after I unplugged the ATEM and the plugged it back in... (This isn't a solution, there's something wrong with the ATEM.)

wxfreak

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Has anyone had a chance to try the ATEM Switchers 8.5 Update that came out 25Sept2020? Our ATEM Television Studio HD is losing audio and is embedding audio static/white noise to the video stream. This appears to happen when the XLR inputs are accidentally driven to clipping.

joeyloman

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 am

Audio recorded or sent to Zoom or Streamyard had heavy digitizing static.
Problem with audio processed through HDMI 1 has recently developed within the last week or so.
The audio through the XLR inputs has been very noisy for some time, months, I suppose.

ATEM TV Studio HD
Windows 10

The static noise happens with my ATEM TV Studio HD with audio coming in through the camera embedded HDMI on audio/video on channel 1. The audio is verified good to the ATEM, and the audio is clear when listened through the headphone jack on the ATEM. The video output of the ATEM is digitized by a Magewell HDMI to USB3 encoder. The recorded audio on zoom sounds nasty.
I'm running 8.4 software control and the software version on the box is 8.1.1 as reported by the setup utility. Power cycling does not seem to help.

Reinstalled atem switcher software 7.5.1, atem software version 7.5.1

Reboot computer, power cycled atem.

Wired audio path remained the same with audio processed through HDMI input #1 embedded by the camera.

Tested a streaming recording using zoom and streamyard to record a broadcast session.

Playback of the recording (.mp4) was clear.
Power cycled ATEM.
Tested another streaming recording.
Static was back.

Power cycled ATEM.
Tested another streaming recording.
Static was back.

Power cycled ATEM.
Tested another streaming recording with zoom.

Tested another streaming recording with streamyard.

The ATEM seems a weee bit more stable. We'll see if anything changes in the next few days.

mc2solutions

PostWed Oct 28, 2020 10:44 am

I have a customer with a ATEM Television 4K with the same problem. The switcher runs fine for a while and the. They get static only from the XLR inputs. This is a big problem. The switcher is being used in a church and the sound comes from an audio console. When this happens everyone who is online cannot hear the service. Does anyone know if the latest update fixes this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wxfreak

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 6:52 pm

After rolling back the firmware, we had the issue happen again after clipping the XLR input.

Tomorrow we are going to try a BMD Mini Converter Audio to SDI to do the ADC outside the switcher and not use the ATEM XLR inputs.

jdigitalp

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 4:29 am

I had this same problem. It kept happening. Once I went into the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD settings and change the settings>Analog Audio Input from +4dBu (Normal) to -10dBV the problem never returned. An odd one.

wxfreak

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 9:47 pm

We finally got rid of the problem with a workaround using a separate Audio to SDI mini converter.

Miguel Martinez

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 12:31 pm

I have an ATEM TV Studio Pro. I was testing today and noticed that once I turn on the xlr inputs I get a white noise Please has someone got fixed and removed this noise. It's very urgent. Thank you very much in advance

Tengo un ATEM TV Studio Pro. Estaba probando hoy y me di cuenta de que una vez que enciendo las entradas xlr, obtengo un ruido blanco Por favor, alguien ha conseguido arreglarlo y eliminar este ruido. Es muy urgente. Muchas gracias de antemano

gasnyder1

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 7:02 pm

I'm having the same issue in the ATEM Studio Pro 4K

Hertzav

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 7:00 pm

Hi all,

I have about 5 ATEM switches and they all are doing the same. If I turn off the XLR input in Audio mixer menu then it will go off.
Is there a solution to this. I am fed up of buying this crap. When we call the support all they say is we need to change the PCB and it costs $1200 + service charge.

Johannes Jonsson

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 9:56 am

Did you try another audio source?
Another mixer or what ever audio.
Also other cables, balanced XLR
Johannes

Jon Sheldon

PostWed Aug 09, 2023 11:03 am

Does anyone have a fix for this? Our ATEM Televison Studio Pro HD was working fine during morning testing yesterday then when we relocated for the live event just getting white noise/static when the XLR inputs are switched on. Also headpone monitoring has stopped working too.

Jon Sheldon

PostWed Aug 09, 2023 11:23 am

Have just done a factory reset and still having the same issue. Looks like a hardware fail.

Steve Koehle

PostTue Aug 15, 2023 12:17 pm

I have a unit that also has this problem. Black Magic sent an advance replacement, but that unit they sent also has the same problem. They will not send another unit so customer is stuck with the problem for now. I wish they could resolve it permanently. I have not sold any Black Magic for a while. I'm afraid of issues like this.

Return to Live Production