ATEM Studio HD -- Can I monitor a single channel's audio?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Greg Paul

ATEM Studio HD -- Can I monitor a single channel's audio?

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi. I need to be able to monitor the audio from only one HDMI channel on the switcher. How do I isolate that one channel for monitoring? Is it even possible?

Thank you.
Greg Paul

Andrew Martin

Re: ATEM Studio HD -- Can I monitor a single channel's audio

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Not sure which software version. ur running but on my audio mixer I have an ability to mono an input which then puts that audio feed on the XLR outs.

A.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 4:07 pm

At the newer Atem mixers that have a "monitor" or headphone output there is the posibility to Solo monitor a channel.
  • Atem 2M/E Broadcast Studio 4K -- Has seperate monitor output on XLR
  • Atem 2M/E Production Studio 4k -- Has seperate monitor output on XLR
  • Atem 1M/E Production Studio 4k -- Main output ,may be used for monitoring output**
  • Atem Production Studio 4k ------- Main output ,may be used for monitoring output**
  • Atem Television Studio HD ------- Headset output can be used for seperate monitoring
  • Atem Television Studio HD PRO --- Headset output can be used for seperate monitoring

** This does not affect PGM audio if used as monitoring channel. When monitoring is switched off these outputs will do PGM Master audio.

Under every audio channel is a Headphone icon. Tap this icon and you have a single channel monitor. ;)

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Robert Betzner

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Just to correct this:

The old Television Studio HD has no audio output on the backside nor a headphone output. The only way to output the audio is to embed it into the PGM audio SDI stream.

The old Television Studio has only an AES/EBU input on the backside.

So monitoring is not possible with that unit.

Cheers

Robert

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Robert Betzner wrote:Just to correct this:

The old Television Studio HD has no audio output on the backside nor a headphone output. The only way to output the audio is to embed it into the PGM audio SDI stream.

The old Television Studio has only an AES/EBU input on the backside.

So monitoring is not possible with that unit.

Robert to correct you :lol: there is no old TVS HD There is TVS and TVS HD.
The old Atem Television studio, Atem 1M/E, Atem 2M/E all don't have a monitoring option!
These old Atems were designed around 2010/2012 and can be reconised by there big Passive cooling blocks on the back. ;)
That is why i did not include them in my list of Atems that do have the feature. 8-)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Just like a real pro audio mixer setup, sweet.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Greg Paul

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 6:18 pm

I ended up buying an audio mixer and using an aux bus for monitoring. So much easier that way. However, now when I start up the ATEM TVS HD, I have to manually go in to the setup and select "XLR on" for my main audio source. Why do I have to manually change this setting when powering up? Thanks.
Greg Paul

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Looks like the “normal” boot up setup defaults to embedded audio in the video signal on the video inputs, which is probably how the majority of users use the system. Most pro live video or TV applications are going to use an external mixer like you do.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:12 am

after setting your ATEM audio the way you like (with XLR inputs on), go to the File menu in the ATEM software and click "Save Startup State". This will snapshot all ATEM settings, input routing, PVW/PGM buss, media pool, etc. and ensure those settings are recalled on power up.

And another correction, you can select the XLR outputs on the original 2M/E to carry monitor instead of PGM out.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Robert Betzner

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
Robert Betzner wrote:The old Atem Television studio, Atem 1M/E, Atem 2M/E all don't have a monitoring option!

Sorry Xtreemtec you don't seem to know these units in depth. The old 1ME and the 2ME indeed have the ability to monitor specific channels. But they don't have a dedicated physical output for that like the newer units. So if you monitor a channel you will lose the general analog physical PGM output.

We used that many times to deembed camera audio and send that through a mixer and finally feed the mixer sum back into the ATEM.

Here is the original press text from BMD:

ATEM Switcher 3.2 Audio Mixer Features
Built in audio mixer for ATEM 1 M/E and ATEM 2 M/E Production Switcher and ATEM Television Studio models.
Level and balance control for audio from each video input, media players and external audio input.
Audio-follow-video (AFV) allows audio to crossfade when inputs change.
SOLO enables audio output to be used as a dedicated monitor output on ATEM 1 M/E and 2 M/E Production Switchers.
Direct mix allows an audio input to be permanently mixed into the program output.
Audio mixing is accessed through and ‘Audio’ tab within the ATEM Control Panel Software.
Free software update for all ATEM customers.
ATEM control panel software including audio mixer is available for both Mac OS X and Windows.

Cheers

Robert

Xtreemtec

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Well i have been using the old 1M/E and TVS for 5 years.. ;)

Oke you can isolate..
But what is the point in that? Because you lose the main mix audio output!

As you descibe it i get it. You send the feed of 1 camera to the audio output that does not come up in the SDI audio mix.. And then feed it back in from the audio board to embed it to sdi.

I was like why would you want to monitor that line then anyway.. As you can just open the fader to put audio onto the output. But for isolation purposes to sdi i get it. ;)

We never used the Atem in that way as we use de-embedders to go to the sound board. Last year we used fiber converters that run there own audio tracks beside the sdi video.. So we don't have to deal with a lot of audio de-embedders.. ;)

So oke if you really need to you can isolate it on the old mixers but will stop your main mix audio on xlr.. Which is in most cases used for other purposes..

The Topic Starter needed to know if it was possible with the Atem Television Studio HD. And this is were a simple awnser like yes just plug in a headphone in the front and you can monitor it. ;)

I never started about the old atems in the first place.

FerCalderon

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi, I´m trying to get solo audio on my headphones, but when using the switcher´s software to enable the headphones icon (below each audio channel) are greyed out, so I can´t select/monitor a single channel. Any idea?

Thanks!

Return to Live Production