Entry burned in Atem Television Studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Allan Peixoto

Entry burned in Atem Television Studio

PostTue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 pm

Hello everybody,

I bought the HDMI cable (KanexPro High Resolution HDMI Cable With Built-in Signal Booster - 50') to connect a camera Panasonic AG-AC7 in Atem Television Studio. The cable did not transmit the image from the camera to the ATEM, but transmit to video monitor.

The cable burn the HDMI input?

Please,

They could show me how to fix the HDMI entry burn? Indicate a technical service or warranty for me?

Thank's

Allan
Last edited by Allan Peixoto on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liam Kennedy

Re: Entry burned in Atem Television Studio

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 4:21 am

Well have you tried a regular HDMI cable instead? It could just be that the TVS is not compatible with that HDMI booster cable.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Allan Peixoto

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 5:00 am

Liam Kennedy wrote:Well have you tried a regular HDMI cable instead? It could just be that the TVS is not compatible with that HDMI booster cable.

Yes ... I tested with simple cable, small size (2 meters) and everything works properly. But I have noticed that one of the inputs of TVS is not working more. Input 1 Hdmi seems to have burned.

I found some blogs on the internet saying that the TVS does not support cables larger than 5 meters. I do not have encountered any literature from the manufacturer saying nothing.

THE BlackMagic Design should have more respect with their customers.

Liam Kennedy

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 5:11 am

Could have "burned". But seems unlikely to me.

The length of HDMI cable is an issue unrelated to black magic. It's simply how they work. This is why you can buy boosters and extender gear. It's because HDMI never was designed to carry the signal very far. The fact you can question their respect for their customers shows me how new this whole area is for you. nothing wrong with that... but You really should read up a little bit more before you cast such accusations at your vendor. The fact that black magic never told me I cold not use a camera 5 miles away (ok.. exaggerating) does not mean they disrespected me. They simply assumed a modest amount of professional knowledge for their clients. I would call that respecting their clients.

The HDMI ports can fail I guess (it's been reported by others) in which case you should call black magic support and work something out.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Robert Betzner

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 8:36 am

Are you sure it is HDMI Input 1? Because input 3-6 can be switched to SDI so please check in the ATEM software if all inputs are switched to HDMI.

Cheers

pro.

Allan Peixoto

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:The fact that black magic never told me I cold not use a camera 5 miles away (ok.. exaggerating) does not mean they disrespected me. They simply assumed a modest amount of professional knowledge for their clients. I would call that respecting their clients.

Liam,

I'm sorry, but I do not think you understood what I said ... or I could not explain what they want.

I'm 16 years working with audio and video in one cable television and always chose to buy the best equipment. We have mixer video (Kayak, Sony DFS) and newly we replace one Tricaster Studio by on ATEM Televison Studio.

I think it would not hurt to have in the manual something like "Warning: Do not use hdmi cable with size greater than 3 meters."

The fact is that I bought HDMI professionals cables and who do not work in ATEM TVS.

I had no opportunity to test the equipment before, with smaller cables. I did this test only after that did not work with the major cable length. Use a cable of 2 meters and got perfect image.

My problem now is that one of the inputs (HDMI 01) does not work anymore, or never worked ... I can not say anything. The HDMI inputs HDMI 02, 03 and 04 continue to function normally (only with small cables) even after using the same cameras and the same cables.

According to the email I received technical support from Blackmagic, I'll buy 03 HDMI to SDI converters.

That will solve part of my problem, but I can not be without one of the HDMI ports of the equipment not working.

My setup is of 03 video cameras (hdmi) and 03 Hyper Deck Studio (SDI).

I have 03 Hyper Deck Studio that I use to display reports in the news that I produce
(I work in a cable television channel).

I'll replace Deck cables from SDI to HDMI and link 03 cameras converters from HDMI to SDI.

BEFORE (inputs)

HDMI1 – CAMERA 01
HDMI2 – CAMERA 02
HDMI3 – CAMERA 03
SDI4 – HYPER DECK 01 (PLAYER 01)
SDI5 – HYPER DECK 02 (PLAYER 02)
SDI6 – HYPER DECK 03 (PLAYER 03)

AFTER (inputs)
HDMI1 – INPUT DOES NOT WORK (HYPER DECK 01)
HDMI2 – HYPER DECK 02
HDMI3 – HYPER DECK 03
SDI4 – CAMERA 01
SDI5 – CAMERA 02
SDI6 – CAMERA 03

I ask everyone I'm sorry if it seemed that I was bad-mouthing the company. It was never my intention. Sorry also for poorly written English.

Allan Peixoto

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 7:03 pm

pro---studio wrote:Are you sure it is HDMI Input 1? Because input 3-6 can be switched to SDI so please check in the ATEM software if all inputs are switched to HDMI.

Cheers

pro.

I'm sure PRO,

HDMI 01 input is not working... or never worked (I can not say that).

I turned off the electrical supply, I upgraded to software version 3.5 and also not solved. All other HDMI inputs work fine.

I'm trying to sell the company a way to replace the equipment or do maintenance.

Mike Squires

PostWed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 pm

I'd contact BMD and get it replaced.

marc.colemont

PostFri Apr 12, 2013 6:40 am

Use HDMI to SDI convertors instead with proper HD-SDI cable.
Extending HDMI above the specification with boxes and boosters is asking for trouble.

cmeasso

PostMon Jan 02, 2017 12:28 pm

The IC is MACOM 21428. This is used in BMCC 2,5 K in decklink. The IC buring if error connection in SDI or over voltage present in BNC loop.

I replaced the IC with successful.

Repair is difficult but with good station smd is possible.

Bye

Corrado Measso

Mirmih

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 1:27 pm

cmeasso wrote:The IC is MACOM 21428. This is used in BMCC 2,5 K in decklink. The IC buring if error connection in SDI or over voltage present in BNC loop.

I replaced the IC with successful.

Repair is difficult but with good station smd is possible.

Bye

Corrado Measso

Hi! Can you please tell me if the same SDI chips are used in BMCC 2.5K and BMPC 4K?

CaioScattini

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 5:14 pm

The HDMI input 1 is controlled by a Analog Device IC that has a BGA package. It requires high skilled professionals and good equipment, but I have a good news for you: It is tottaly repairable (I did it several times. I recommend you to contact Pinnacle Group Brasil, that is BMD representative in Sao Paulo, Brazil. They can service your equipment and put it back to work:

https://br.gpinnacle.com/
+55 (11) 2605-0563
Av. V. A. Ferreira 1800/1844 conj 716
Ch. Mafalda – São Paulo – Cep: 03372-015

Return to Live Production