Getting PC screen + audio into ATEM Television Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ivo Struzinsky

Getting PC screen + audio into ATEM Television Studio HD

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi, I have a question that probably has easy answer, but I don't seem to be able to find it. :)
I want to use ATEM Television Studio HD or HD Pro for some streaming and aside from camera sources, important source would be videogames from one or more PCs. There are two problems I am trying to solve:
  1. Get the video feed from PC HDMI out into ATEM and into the screen at the same time (player still needs to see what is he or she playing right :-) ). I was thinking some HDMI splitter might do, but all splitters I found looked kinda dodgy and I am also afraid about HDPC wreaking havoc. One idea I had was using HDMI to SDI micro converter and then plugging one SDI out to ATEM and other to SDI to HDMI micro converter and back to screen. However that sounds like a lot of converters in a chain and lot of possibilities for something to break.
  2. Get the game audio into the ATEM and have the player hear it at the same time. Normally I'd probably use external audio card/interface with XLR outs and send those into a mixer. But that would essentially remove the ability to have AFV, right? I was thinking that maybe having a mackie-capable USB mixer with XLR ins for at least some channels might work, maybe being able to set the channels on the mixer to follow video sources on the ATEM? But that's just wild speculation on my side and given the fact that resources on using mackie-capable mixers with ATEM are hard to find, I can't really tell. I personally never used macke-capable mixer with ATEM so I am just guessing based on what I found on ATEM product page.
    Other possible way would be to somehow embed the audio in the HDMI or SDI going into the ATEM. That should theoretically work, setting the HDMI as default audio device in windows, but I have no clue how would the player be able to still hear it in headphones. Windows isn't really keen on sending the audio into multiple devices most of the time afaik.

Thanks a lot for any advice and ideas!

Ian Morrish

Re: Getting PC screen + audio into ATEM Television Studio HD

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 am

I have been able to get X-32/X-Air mixers to follow video of ATEM using OSC control from Windows PowerShell. Was just an experiment; https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2017/04/22/automate-behringer-x32-mixers-from-powershell-using-osc/
The XR12 is a great little mixer for ATEM's.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Andrew Martin

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Feeding the PC's hdmi out into a decimator MD-HX will give a hdmi out which can go to the pc monitor and a scalable sdi out which can feed into the Atem. There real versitile converters and relatively inexpensive. The Swiss army knife of converters.
Data video's DAC70 will do the same, but there a little more expensive.

A.

Sebastián Noó Bermúdez

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Ivo, always the best answer is the simplest. You have to install video boards with connection for 2 monitors on PCs, which are cheaper than converters, one is connected to the player's monitor and the other to the miniconverter or directly to the atem to the hdmi input. In this way, audio and video are directly transported to their respective devices and it is a simple configuration of cloning the desktop.

Best regards
Sebastián Noó Bermúdez
CEO Audiovisuales
Sybila Producciones

Return to Live Production