video hub

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Brian Hancock

video hub

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 am

is there any practical limit to the number of control devices connected to a single video hub ...

for example could you have 20 devices, ipad, pc, mac, etc. all connected to one 16x16 video hub?? or 40x40 or whatever ...

what is the network load of additional devices connected, or more importantly what is the network load of each device? could i saturate a 100mbps link with 20+ devices or even a standard 54 mpbs wifi link knowing that 54 mpbs is absolute best case scenario practical throughput will be less??

Daniel Knoche

Re: video hub

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 2:35 am

For some reason the number 7 comes to mind but that could be the number of network devices connected to an ATEM!

I don't think there is but the problem you may have is people trying to change the same route or when someone has locked a route, is no longer using it etc.

From my understanding there is a very minimal impact on network as just sending commands.

But can't give you a definitive answer. Think I've had 4 devices connected at the same time but that's much less than what you were talking about!
Daniel

Brian Hancock

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 3:42 am

yes i'm pretty sure the 7 is the atem line

what i'm more concerned about is having multiple stations be able to choose any source on the route so i'd be fine if once source went to all destinations or if each source had its own destination ... i'll hold for an answer from BMD hopefully someone there can answer this question ... i was pretty sure the bandwidth wasn't going to be an issue just wanted to put it out there ...

Hersh Burston

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 5:48 am

Hi Brian,

More than 100 clients can be connected to a Videohub at the same time.

Each contributes negligible data to the network and should have no effect to the load. Obviously we cannot provide exact information when other network traffic is present.

We cannot see any issue in using more than 20 devices at the same time.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Brian Hancock

PostWed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm

thanks hersh,

this is great news and something i expected but regardless, thanks for the quick response !!

Return to Live Production