ATEM TV STUDIO HD & Behringer X AIR XR12

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Grega Podrekar

ATEM TV STUDIO HD & Behringer X AIR XR12

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 2:38 am

I notice that XLR input levels of TV Studio HD are approx 10db lower than Behringer XR12 output shows. Is that normal?

Andrew Martin

Re: ATEM TV STUDIO HD & Behringer X AIR XR12

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Yep, it's well known with many posts / questions regards low audio thoughout the forum.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 am

Put the output of the XR12 against the red on your output meters..
Xlr input of the Atem to +3db Now the audio meters will hit the red on the peeks.. But will be normalised arround -6db on the Atem scale..

We find this is fine.. Going louder will overdrive your Atem and you will have no Headroom left..

Also here is a good video about how to configure the Stereo delay in the XR12 to act as a frame delay to correct your audio / video sync.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Cliff Whitney

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 5:00 pm

I am still having low audio input indication at our TV Studio HD switcher. Sound guys say it's proper level but I'm rarely getting over -30 on the multiview meter. When I edit it with Final Cut Pro, the audio is very low.
The sound board is a Yamaha TF-5 and is fairly new. They are feeding mono and I am splitting it and editing in dual mono mode. Why can't I get -10 on peaks with the switcher at normal levels? This started when we put in the new TV Studio HD. Is there a hardware or software fix for this?
Cliff Whitney

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 5:56 pm

I would like to try and help here if I can. I have a test setup on the TVS HD. If you feed a +4 dBm balanced audio tone you should see -20 dBFS on the ATEM meter. This would represent a 0 VU signal on the audio console. If you are feeding a 0VU (+4 dBM) tone and do not see a -20 dBfs on the ATEM meters, then something is probably connected wrong. Possibly an Unbalanced signal is incorrectly connected to a balanced input causing a lower signal. If unbalanced, I recommend a simple audio transformer to match it up. But I get correct readings so I'm wanting to help those that do not see this. If the tone levels are correct, then it's a matter of "riding" the audio correctly.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Cliff Whitney

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 2:02 am

Thanks Gary, I'm beginning to get the idea. -20 dBfs on the multiview monitor is +4 dBM or 0 VU.
Cliff W.

congapadre

PostSun Oct 25, 2020 4:38 pm

We are having a sound sync problem with the Behringer - ATEM combination. It doesn't effect our live webcast on Boxcast, but when we play a recording from our laptop for Boxcast, we have to mute the sound in the sanctuary or there is a lag coming over the Boxcast. This is on the recording only - live sound comes through fine. Our laptop is connected directly into the ATEM for output and our sanctuary sound goes through the Behringer XR12, so I assume this is where we are losing synch. Is there a way to synch these up? Thanks.

Return to Live Production